-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an aphid infestation 2 years ago on my pepper plants even Sevin would not cure. Tried every imaginable concoction to rid them. Was just a bad year. Last year worms ate my collard greens but nothing else. Every year seems like something new but I haven't seen a tomato hornworm in years!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Denny was just taking a break when I read your post.Been at it for several hours giving my tomatoes a copper bath for blight protection.This is about as organic as I get with 150+ plants to do but really works and is quite beneficial when the hot humid days arrive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will that stuff work on toenails ???

Neighbor lady wansta know grin laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin yep but you hafta pay separate shipping and handling for a duce!

Woody
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seed is cheaper than any other part.
Just grow more than you need and let the chips fall where they may.
Deer get some, bugs get some, I get some. Fairs fair.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
Seed is cheaper than any other part.
Just grow more than you need and let the chips fall where they may.
Deer get some, bugs get some, I get some. Fairs fair.

Stop makin' sense ringworm or yer goin' back on ignore !!!!! wink grin laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This short article about covers it: ..Pros & Cons

We went totally organic just 4 years ago. It is definitely worth the extra work to us, but we have the time to do it, and we enjoy doing it. Not everybody would. We are very much into doing our own composting, and we keep chickens (for eggs), so we don't need to buy manure. Big help, there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Denny was just taking a break when I read your post.Been at it for several hours giving my tomatoes a copper bath for blight protection.This is about as organic as I get with 150+ plants to do but really works and is quite beneficial when the hot humid days arrive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will this work after planting (spray) or is it too late to combat blight after it happens?

thanks

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it worth it? Yes
This is a good site to get you some information.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

BP...

Last edited by boilerpig1; 05/24/15. Reason: spelling

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will this work after planting (spray) or is it too late to combat blight after it happens?

thanks

It's better countermeasures to do it before planting before onset of the blight and will only be effective if you can spray on the under side of the foliage as well.Tank spraying will work if you can do it at planting but like I said get the underside well drenched.The tub in the pic holds 18 gal.I use one and a half canisters of the copper and add three tablespoons of dish soap for tack.

Woody
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ive not had bug problems yet (knock on wood). I buy "organic" plants and fertilize using organic fish emulsion. No bagged fertilizers or miracle gro. I also put mulched fescue around the plants to keep weeds at bay. In the fall, I mulch leaves and lay them down and cover with cardboard. helps to keep ground moist, keeps more heat in, and seems to promote quicker composting. This years tomato plants are growing quickly and are already above 3 feet tall. so far, works for me and not any more work to mention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thanks

It's better countermeasures to do it before planting before onset of the blight and will only be effective if you can spray on the under side of the foliage as well.Tank spraying will work if you can do it at planting but like I said get the underside well drenched.The tub in the pic holds 18 gal.I use one and a half canisters of the copper and add three tablespoons of dish soap for tack.

thats what I was a fraid of. Have had blight problems in years past. I keep moving the tomatoes to a different area when it shows up.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The red spider mites are He!! to get rid of as well

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think it is worth it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
NO, it is not worth it. Nor is it better for the environment, except when done on a small scale involving complete hand labor. No fuel, no chemicals, no pesticides--and that means none!

Buying organic dirt/compost, shipping the latest and greatest organically-certified seed from halfway across the country, hosing it down with certified all-natural bug juice probably grown in some other country, etc.--none of that is more beneficial to the environment.

"Organic" farming at this point is simply a niche to make money by marketing to a slightly-different clientele.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
NO, it is not worth it. Nor is it better for the environment, except when done on a small scale involving complete hand labor. No fuel, no chemicals, no pesticides--and that means none!

Buying organic dirt/compost, shipping the latest and greatest organically-certified seed from halfway across the country, hosing it down with certified all-natural bug juice probably grown in some other country, etc.--none of that is more beneficial to the environment.

"Organic" farming at this point is simply a niche to make money by marketing to a slightly-different clientele.

I really don't think Denny is planning on a thousand acre organic farm. We do it on a lot larger scale than he is talking about and it works for us all the way to the bank. And we grow out all natural bug juce, it don't come from anywhere but our farm.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've grown a garden myself or helped in my mom and dads my whole life. Many people have grown gardens in the soil here for a 100 years. If you do not use chemicals here pests will eat up much of what you plant.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I really don't think Denny is planning on a thousand acre organic farm. We do it on a lot larger scale than he is talking about and it works for us all the way to the bank. And we grow out all natural bug juce, it don't come from anywhere but our farm.

How much time do you spend, on how many acres?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
None. I am retired.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.