J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Reading the wind is where the men are separated from the boys.

Amen brother. Lots of long range hunter wannabe's either overlook this fact, or won't admit it.

I couldn't agree more!

I will only shoot at Prairie dogs at extended ranges and I can shoot them regularly at 400+ yards, but I miss some too, probably 50%. I know an elk or even a deer would be not too hard to hit at 500 yards on a still day. But to me, hunting is not a stunt which a lot of immature hunters are trying to do with their, "I shot my deer at 600 yards, whoopee."
What's wrong with hunting deer rather than setting up the shooting bench and shooting deer so you can brag about your shooting skill.
So you can read ballistics charts and you can judge range with your range finder and on a still day you can hit your game animal. Shooting game animals is a lot different than hunting.

Yes, because sitting in a house overlooking a greenfield and waiting for the buck that you have 732 pictures of to show up, and then killing him with his head in the alfalfa at 121 yards is "hunting".....

No houses or greenfields out here bro......just lots of wind.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Smokepole, the distance at which shooting at game becomes unethical is, IMO, determined by the wind, atmosphere, shooting light, stability, etc, not how badazzz a guy's gear or imagination is.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/24/15.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

No houses or greenfields out here bro......just lots of wind.

....the distance at which shooting at game becomes unethical is, IMO, determined by the wind, atmosphere, shooting light, stability, etc, not how badazzz a guy's gear or imagination is.

I hear that.... here's a view from one of my treestands....

[Linked Image]

I absolutely concur on wind and timing dictating ethical shooting distance. This is why I'm an advocate of actual field shooting.... the best way to know how all the variables add up... is to shoot in the wind, and schitty light, and rain, and from various positions, etc.

Good judgement comes from bad experiences.... and bad experiences come from poor judgment. Better to stage the poor experiences and apply lessons learned..... than to find out the hard way.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by powdr
Ed, like you I can shoot to almost 400 w/a simple back line hold with 2 of my 3 rifles. Most men really don't understand how far 400yds actually is. powdr

Some people would have a heart attack if shown what a real 400 yards looks like. The same person after being edumacated might abruptly switch their opinion to 400 being some miraculous distance that nobody can shoot at. Still others will regard 400 as a rather easy shot, quite makeable by anyone that bothered to develop that moderate skill level.

When told about long hunting shots you have to figure out which guy you're dealing with. One guy's unlikely is the next guy's easy, the next guys fantasy and the next guy's BS story.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 05/24/15.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the deer/antelope I shoot are between 150-250 yards away.

Practicing at 350-450 makes the shorter shots much easier.

If someone wants to get tactical and snipe deer that's fine provided they aren't using live animals as target practice and bragging rights.
Backing up from an animal just to make the shot longer is retarded but I'm sure a few sniper dorks have done just that. The sharpied up yardage sign for the hero shot is beyond funny but whatever.

Main thing is realizing personal limitations and then sticking with them in the field.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Smokepole, the distance at which shooting at game becomes unethical is, IMO, determined by the wind, atmosphere, shooting light, stability, etc, not how badazzz a guy's gear or imagination is.

I'd agree with that. I'm not sure what you mean by "badazzz gear" but I can tell you that "badazzz gear" will make a difference in the right hands.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
[
I'd agree with that. I'm not sure what you mean by "badazzz gear" but I can tell you that "badazzz gear" will make a difference in the right hands.

Only if the wind allows.....that's been my point all along.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Most of the deer/antelope I shoot are between 150-250 yards away.

Practicing at 350-450 makes the shorter shots much easier.

If someone wants to get tactical and snipe deer that's fine provided they aren't using live animals as target practice and bragging rights.
Backing up from an animal just to make the shot longer is retarded but I'm sure a few sniper dorks have done just that. The sharpied up yardage sign for the hero shot is beyond funny but whatever.

Main thing is realizing personal limitations and then sticking with them in the field.

Agree SamO, 100%

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
[

Only if the wind allows.....that's been my point all along.

The wind might not allow me to make a shot that another guy can easily make. If you take bullets alone as an example of "badazzz gear," the right ones drift less, and in the right hands tend to drift where they're supposed to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The LR duplex works. I took a cow elk at 380yds with one,it was as easy as splitting the distance between the dots.

Then I began to shoot quite a bit more, and started to go up into the hills to shoot at rocks and such.

Then I found that the dotz are a great hunting tool, for plinking it leaves a bit to be desired.
Then I had a M1 installed on a VX-ll 3-9, worked great for 4 or 5 shots, then return to zero was more of an approximation.

Switched to SS scopes with .1mrad turrets and a MilQuad reticle.
Game changer. Able now to correct misses accurately, and dial up and down all day with actual return to zero.

For a pure big game hunting rifle, dotz just plain work.
For the hunting rifle that gets shot all year at all manner and size of targets, turrets and matching reticle win.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Once again, only if the wind allows. David Tubb can't do it every time in wind, nobody else can either, including Hodnett and everyone he's trained, from many countries. Nobody consistently dopes mucho wind, ever, no matter what equipment or bullets they have.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But if you shoot a lot, at the same distances you commonly take critters at, the wind becomes a lot less difficult than you're making it out to be... Especially with a reticle that matches your turrets, coupled with a solid zero....

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dots are uber simple.

With a new rifle I get zero'd at 200 yards and then while I'm doing load work up at 400 yards zero the bottom dot.

Just use a 2'x2' target board with a 6" round dot in the center.

Re-check top dot(should be close at 300 yards), recheck duplex(should be close at 200 yards). You're all set to go hunting.

Past 400-450 yards a turret would be the way to go but that's farther than I shoot when hunting so I'm not worried about it.

This.

Turrets are more precise and "funner", but where I hunt, shot presentations on bucks are often quick, even at longer ranges, so I just dial up to 9-10x max power and wait. If you know the approximate ranges of landmarks, the dots will let you connect on vitals pretty fast. We hunt wide pipeline ROW's around here and good bucks are often just strolling across, maybe pausing for a second or two to look around. Have to be ready and be quick. In open country, I could see a turret being used more often.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JG, I was shooting a new rifle the other day at 400 yards. Tried to get out of the wind(doing load work-up...) so I went to a spot down in a fairly deep creek bottom.

Wind at my shooting position was R-L quartering towards me. When I walked out to check the target the wind was swirling in the opposite direction.

I notice the same thing once in awhile if I have surveyors tape placed near the target. No way in hell to accurately predict it on certain days.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
But if you shoot a lot, at the same distances you commonly take critters at, the wind becomes a lot less difficult than you're making it out to be... Especially with a reticle that matches your turrets, coupled with a solid zero....

Tanner

Shhh Tanner!

We were about to find out how much it costs to hunt there and see some pictures of somebody else's deer mounted in their den...

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great point on the wind flags, and once again SamO, agree 100%. I'm not worth a crap as a wind doper. Gusting/swirling 20+mph wind will make a fool out of the best of the best. Take away the wind and it gets rather easy, even for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupie 6x42MQ....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
so with dots, a little wind.... and a tweener yardage.... you have no part of the reticle on the target?

Gap shooting dots AND wind sounds like a super way to make hits....

Dots may be a little faster..... but just like IDPA.... you can't miss fast enough to win. It ain't about making the fastest hit.... it's about making the right hit.... unless you're gunning an ÜBER Mag and have Hack to back you up...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
so with dots, a little wind.... and a tweener yardage.... you have no part of the reticle on the target?

No part of the reticle is on intended point of impact.

Dot's are just a reference point for hold over.

Shoot with them enough and they become even easier to use.

Things get too complicated horizontally otherwise we would have sideways dots.... lead is where practice comes into play.

Running shots and wind require more than twisting turrets.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I practiced and practiced out to 550 yards in the month before hunting 2014. It took 3 rifles: 260 with IOR, 260 with Leupold CDS, and 7mmRM with Sightron SIII. The 7mmRemMag won.

I hunted for 5 days using a Leica 1600 rangefinder and a Sightron riflescope with turrets.

Then I filled my mule buck and antelope buck tags both at 50 yards.

In 2015 I will practice at long range again.
My favorite scope is a Leupold CDS VX3 3.5x10x40. I have a number of them. If there is anything better than that scope for hunting, it would be wasted on me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

No part of the reticle is on intended point of impact.

Dot's are just a reference point for hold over.

Shoot with them enough and they become even easier to use.

Things get too complicated horizontally.....

Running shots and wind require more than twisting turrets.

Rocks are pretty simple too.... practicing with one makes it much easier to pound nails with one.... but it still doesn't make it the right tool. Practice with a BDC turret makes it very easy to hit stuff.... even in moderate wind... and it's just as fast when practiced up.

If dots are simply for holdover..... and you have no "horizontal dots".... how do you A: KNOW your hold is correct?
B: KNOW where the bullet is aimed?
Close enough is usually good enough.... till it's not.... but hey, Hack has spare time and a .44.

You are absolutely correct on the running shots and wind.... but I've shot with 100's of guys in the wind..... and I'm headed out today in 10-15 MPH rainy winds to do it again. I've never, in 40 years, seems somebody legitimately practice running shots, especially with a high powered rifle. Do you?

How many guys that run turrets EVER advocate taking a running shot that requires use of the turret? I've read thousands of posts on LRH right here in my dozen plus years on the fire... and I don't recall a single account of someone taking a 450 yard running shot after spinning dope in the turret. But more than one guy with "dots" has made that incredibly low percentage shot.... so that's ethical?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.