Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am committed to rescuing neglected shotguns and shooting them. I search for them at gun shelters; pawn shops, old school gun shops, and the back rows of gun shows. I bring them home, care for them, and they get a second chance at life. Shooting them has proven to be very rewarding! smile

They are the working man shotguns of previous generations. The shotguns I seem to be attracted to are the pumps and autos that date from the late 30's through the early 60's. Guns that were seen at the blue collar 'Sportsman's Club' where I was a trap boy back in the 60's. Men that had known tough times that now had steady work and would come out to the club with their one all-purpose shotgun they owned and try a round of trap for the first time.

To rescue these shotguns you have to accept that they come with some life baggage; polychokes, amateur refinish attempts, usually no vent ribs, pencil engraved names/driver's license numbers, misfitted recoil pads, dings and boo-boos. Some might be 16 gauge or be a department store brand. They often have full chokes and if they clean up good and function well they can be opened up to something more user-friendly. But this is for sure: if you are seeking collector pieces in original condition then being a rescue gun person is not for you.

Good news is they can be had cheap, some cosmetic things can be improved, and most importantly some still shoot very, very well. First thing I do is clean them up and go shoot some clay targets. This will tell what kind of mechanical issues need dealt with. Often it's just a spring or two and getting some ancient crud out. If they prove to be good shooters perhaps some of the cosmetic issues can be addressed.

The best rescues are often the forgotten gun models as they often sit the longest waiting for somebody to take them home. They can prove to be the most rewarding shooting experience. I will list some of success story rescues that shoot very well.

Savage 755A 16-gauge (far right in photo): This came to me in poor condition and it's not a pretty gun to begin with. It was so far gone in the looks department that I had to refinish it. Being a sub-200 dollar gun to begin with I didn't that it was a sin to refinish it. It cleaned up well and shoots very well for me. Being all steel it's heavy but for the clay target shooting I do it's not a bad thing. Fit/finish of the internals is quite good. I like 16 gauge 1 oz. loads on clay targets.

Stevens 621 12-gauge (middle): I went through a lot of these Browning design series Stevens pumps including the Wards/Sears branded versions. This vent rib version is not often encountered and this particular one shoots/functions very well. It has the original modified choke that is more like a full choke.

High Standard Flite-King 12-gauge(on left): These and the similar Sears-J.C. Higgins Model 20's are often overlooked and can be picked up quite cheap. They work!

[Linked Image]

GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool!

DMc laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. I missed out on and older Stevens pump shotgun several years ago.. I remember it as a square backed model similar to the A5 Browning auto.. It was in very fine shape for $159.. Kick myself everytime I think of it.. Also had a J. C. Higgins model 20 12 ga. when I was a kid..The tightess shooting shotgun I ever owned.. Sold it to a friend who was a turkey hunter.. His son is still shooting it today.. I have looked for another with a rib for years.. no luck.. Some nice oldies there..

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have rehabbed so far several Ithaca model 37-s of various guages. Two model 97 Winnnies, One Model 37 Winnie, Several old auto remmie modes 58, 11, 11-48.

Purchased a brand new 870 express, hard case, full set of choke tubes, cleaning kit etc in a Lefty for my Grand Nephew who's graduating H.S. this week. Gave him a 1950-s era Wingmaster 20 ga when he turned 15. He is from a single parent family & mom can't afford such things. I've been mentoring him part time as he's 150 miles away.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fourtrax
...One Model 37 Winnie, Several old auto remmie modes 58, 11, 11-48.

Just "Re-habbed" an 11-48 28ga for my oldest daughter.

[Linked Image]

Her husband works for Arctic Cat and he wanted his 870 in their colors.

Would love to see the 37's you did.

DMc laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fourtrax
Purchased a brand new 870 express, hard case, full set of choke tubes, cleaning kit etc in a Lefty for my Grand Nephew who's graduating H.S. this week.

Middle daughter married a lefty. He wanted a tacti-kewl Dove demolisher.

[Linked Image]

Middle daughter's 1100 20ga.

[Linked Image]

DMc laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
All I did was buy'em, break'em down to parts to clean them up & start killing Pheasants & Grouse with them. Gave one to a Grand Nephew (diff one). Same with the semi - autos, major cleaning & reassembly & put them to work.
Had the choke opened on one Ith. 37 & one Win 97 for bird hunting.

The artic cat 870 looks awesome. Was that painted or what?

That 28 ga does not come cheap either. I've been watching them online for awhile. I also still would like to find an 1148 16 ga with the 26" I.C. choked bbl.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried to paint it and it turned out awful, so I ordered a hydro-graphic and clear-coated the snot out of it.

[Linked Image]

DMc laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Very effective!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MWN

Stevens 621 12-gauge (middle): I went through a lot of these Browning design series Stevens pumps including the Wards/Sears branded versions. This vent rib version is not often encountered and this particular one shoots/functions very well. It has the original modified choke that is more like a full choke.

High Standard Flite-King 12-gauge(on left): These and the similar Sears-J.C. Higgins Model 20's are often overlooked and can be picked up quite cheap. They work!

Nice job all around!

Love that Stevens takedown system. Have an old humpback that I cut down laying around. Think I have the original barrel as well but have to look. They don't necessarily swap back and forth but sometimes it works.

Some of the High Standard pumps used the basic design from the Remington Model 31 but I don't know which ones.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice guns.

now, the secret to owning rescue shotguns is to not put money in them!
wouldnt you agree?
i mean, the bargain is buying them cheap and instantly using them. the minute you put time and cash into it....its like owning a chevy vega with a ten thousand dollar sound system in it. no matter what you do to it, its still a chevy vega.

i like old mossberg bolt guns. like the 183 series. great gun, but rest assure, im not going to refinish them or put 300.00 optics on them....like the mall ninjas do.

and as for polychokes? you know, ive never known one to fall into the pond or get forgotten back in the pickup while hunting.
instant choke change with no tools. it was cool then, and its still cool today.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i take it youre a gunsmith?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me a gunsmith? Not hardly....My gunsmith sees me pull up to the shop and must think 'my day just got better!' and quits worrying so much about the payment on his F-250. smile

And I think I got a couple of them Vegas with new leather seats.

Seriously, the polychokes do work. 95%+ of shotgun shooters could not tell the difference between the effectiveness of patterns of one of them then a back-bored, crio'd, long tubed, Italian latest-greatest.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
W
W
I agree with all that. The best shotguns were built a long time ago. I now have one, I plan to look for more.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Those Stevens 620s and 621s were stout old pumps, about the heaviest of the pre-war pumps.

I've bought a couple of old pump guns at auction that had been dragged out of the closet or attic where they had been stored without a case--bone dry and full of house-dust. I got them fairly cheap because the dry actions worked so stiff that everyone thought they were defective.

Last edited by Ploughman; 06/10/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Only one thing more rare than a Burgess wrist slide action shotgun is to find someone that can work on it. It will kill birds...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Still have that Shrapnel???

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've rescued a bunch of police trade-in 870s over the years, keeping one in the truck, one in the closet, and used one for 3 gun matches, among other things.

Cops hardly ever use their shotguns, and they're usually mechanically in great shape.

I monkey around with 'em, sell them or trade them on something else, and always, always keep an 870 around for hunting, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Still have that Shrapnel???

I still have it. Steven Dodd Hughes did an article on it for "Shooting Sportsman"...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool. That was a great write up! Still have a copy of that issue.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Great thread! I agree that the Hi-Standard pumps, including the J.C. Higgins Model 20 are "sleepers." I have a good friend I used to hunt chukars with (before I got too old to fall off mountains) who used nothing else for years and still uses it at times. No maintenance, no issues.

Most people can't really shoot a bolt action shotgun fast enough for multiple shots on one bird or a covey. But I have another friend in upstate NYS who has never had anything but a Mossberg 20 guage bolt action and kills grouse regularly with it. I've seen him nail them with the second shot, too. But he rarely misses the first. Kills deer with it, too. (It does have the little "U" rear sight that some of them have. But of course that's totally NOT adjustable.).

And I agree with the remarks on the "polychokes." Only reason to use anything else is if you are addicted to doubles ("Guilty as charged"....) or an Olympic class trapshooter. Butt they ARE butt-ugly.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just finished a couple more...,

28ga for youngest daughter and a 20ga for SIL, both under 6lbs.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one was a project only half the stock left.

[Linked Image]

It was worth the effort , a very nice shooting rig.

[Linked Image]

And there were a few pieces missing and some major cracks

[Linked Image]

Now it's back in the field hopefully for another hundred years.

[Linked Image]

16x16 x 9.3x72R

Last edited by erich; 06/20/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I rescued a Model 12, 12 ga w/a cutts recently. Originally a 50s U.S. Marked receiver with a 20" barrel then a choke added. I suspect it was a Bureau of
Prisons gun, carried a lot, shot little. $140 plus tax at a pawn shop. I could have an Briley barrel extender made and still be close to $300, but why. The choke tube happened to be an IC.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Only one thing more rare than a Burgess wrist slide action shotgun is to find someone that can work on it. It will kill birds...

[Linked Image]
I encountered a Burgess this past weekend. My son went to a shooting get-together with a bunch of guys and one them pulls out a Burgess. Man, those are nice looking guns. He ran that gun all day and never jammed it once.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.