Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wish more Gun Writers where like Flores these day and would write more about Varmint and Small Games hunting than just trying to push something new from the Gun Companies in all their published articles . The Gun Magazines these day are just about advertising. As much as i like the 1911 , i'm tired of every other article in every major magazine being about nothing but the latest and greatest 1911 that will set you back 3 grand or more. I don't think they understand most subscribers could care less about a three thousand dollar custom pistol and are more interested in articles that relate to the average Joe . I would much rather read about some average guy sitting under a Hickory Tree with a old single barrel shotgun squirrel hunting than about some pecker head competing in a three gun competition or about the latest weapons some Swat Team in some big city just acquired, but maybe I'm just a odd ball when it comes to Gun and Hunting Magazines and that is why i canceled all my subscriptions to everything except for Varmint Hunter and American Rifleman.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I were limited to one gun rag, it would be "Handloader". "Rifle" would be a close second. Both are very good, but HL just seems to have more stuff of interest to me these days.

I just started a subscription to "Guns", which cost me all of $10. I would never pay full price for it or any of the other mags out there. The Wolfe mags are definitely worth full price.

For the most part, Egon Spengler was right; print is dead.

The funny part is, with all the competition from the WWW mags, blogs, podcasts, and Youtube, the apparent response from most paper publishers is to get worse, not better. The most annoying part is when you open a magazine for which you've paid good money, and a lot of the good stuff is now on the Web.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should join The Cast Bullet Association and read Ed Harris stories "The Back Creek Diary" and the "Tales From Outside the Beltway" even if you are not particularly interested in cast bullets.
Ed .32 caliber "Bunny Guns" are interesting.

They reprinting Frank Marshal Jr tales and they are available on CD.

There are lots of small game hunters around but we are "shouted down" by the "Red Mist" gang!

Slim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fully agree but the guys who like those magazines are more likely to be out actually sitting under a tree watching for squirrels or doing something else outdoors rather than sitting home reading what some paid gun scribe tells them they need.

And if they don't actually need anything, why are they looking at gun rags anyway?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
I fully agree but the guys who like those magazines are more likely to be out actually sitting under a tree watching for squirrels or doing something else outdoors rather than sitting home reading what some paid gun scribe tells them they need.

And if they don't actually need anything, why are they looking at gun rags anyway?

Past time setting on the Throne

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would also like magazines to run more hunting stories instead of thinly disguised advertisements, but in the late 1980's a publishing company in New York realized they could sell more ads if they mentioned their advertiser's products. Before then magazines ran on the odd theory that if they published articles readers liked, then manufacturers would want to advertise in the popular magazines.

In the 1990's some other publishers caught on to appealing mostly to advertisers, and now things have gotten to the point where advertisers EXPECT to get coverage in articles. Which is why we now have many magazines dominated by product articles.

There are a few magazines that still run hunting stories, but not very many.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
John,

Which magazines still run hunting stories? I miss reading about the adventures instead of the products.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sports Afield.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And Gray's Sporting Journal.

In reality "gun" magazines never ran all that many hunting stories. Magazines like OUTDOOR LIFE and FIELD & STREAM ran far more than GUNS & AMMO and GUNS.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm a big fan of Gray's Sporting Journal. But it doesn't seem to have many followers here. It's quite varied -- I think of it as "literature."

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SPORTING CLASSICS also runs some. In fact a year or two ago they reprinted one of mine that first appeared in GRAY'S quite a while ago.

Even the "hunting stories" in older gun magazines often involved a product. I can remember one that appeared in GUNS & AMMO in the 1970's, where Elmer Keith hunted on a Texas game ranch, killing a blackbuck with a Wickliffe single-shot in .308 Winchester. He had to make a comment about how the .308 wasn't his idea of a big game round, so it obviously an assignment.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Varmint Hunters Association has a lot of hunting type stories. Fur Fish and & Game has some good ones as well. Some months. Some will bore you to tears but they do have stories.

I honestly think a lot of gunwriting is better today than it was in the past.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Try Back Woodsman Magazine. They don't except advertisments from manufacturers and most of the articles are written by the subscribers. Lots of articles on old guns instead of the latest tactical stuff. The hunting articles are about the types of hunts that you or me would be doing like squirrel hunting. Not about expensive safaris in Africa. Lots of articles on knives and camping gear. All sorts of useful information on firearms and the outdoors.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Even Varmint Hunter sucks these days. I really like to read about the fur hunters in the early issues. Now if you kill one coyote you get a featured article. The varmint hunter has sucked since Steve Timm left.

Articles I always liked were written by Seyfried, Pat Cameron (sp), Glenn D. Summers and Steve Timm. Barsness articles are ok if they are from the late 80's to mid 90's. Phil Shoemaker has a few good articles but I just can't read another "what rifle for brown bear" article.

Elk hunter and western hunter are ok but lately they have been slipping.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 05/24/15.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Small game hunting stories trumps any of the big game stories. I always like the stories in the older Field & Streams and Outdoor Life Magazines that covered the average hunter in small town America. I spend a many day as kid in the late 50's and early 60's sitting in the school library reading hunting magazines.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I like both, but yeah, it's unfortunate that not many hunters go after small game anymore, or write about it.

But there were far fewer deer, pigs and even elk 40-50 years ago, one reason more people hunted small game.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Small game hunting stories trumps any of the big game stories. I always like the stories in the older Field & Streams and Outdoor Life Magazines that covered the average hunter in small town America. I spend a many day as kid in the late 50's and early 60's sitting in the school library reading hunting magazines.

Ah, nostalgia. Study Hall meant getting into the adjacent library quickly, purloining (all assignments had to be completed before such frivolity) the latest copy of F&S or SA, slipping it into a book worthy, and self consciously walking back to the desk basking in anticipation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This internet and forums like this one have replaced print media for the most part.

My wife and I don't subscribe to any magazines nor do we get a newspaper any longer! The newspaper building is for sale in a nearby city. No paperboy anymore.

Here on this internet I can read up to date information and even post myself on topics. We never did this before with magazines. TV news has replaced the newspapers.

Sure we still get the Rifleman and Am Hunter with the life memberships.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and it shows you dont actually read anything of any real value.....you have had the same day of experience over and over again for decades never learning anything new....otherwise you would realize there is no difference in reading an article digitally or in print.....but your to damn stupid to know that....

Last edited by rattler; 05/24/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I like both, but yeah, it's unfortunate that not many hunters go after small game anymore, or write about it.

But there were far fewer deer, pigs and even elk 40-50 years ago, one reason more people hunted small game.

I started hunting as a youngster at my grandparents' places in Louisiana and Mississippi during the 1950's. If you were going to hunt then and there, you were pretty much restricted to small game. Deer and turkeys were almost nonexistant until the trapping and transplantation programs, mainly in the '60's. Now I think most southern youngsters start on deer, and few ever hunt squirrels or rabbits.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.