Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went to look at husky puppy tonight,

owner had a full grown adult on a run that went into his front yard and to the foot of his steps.

I reached out to let the dog sniff my hand - a mistake on my part - and the dog lunged at me. ended up in the e.r. with stitches in multiple places - both hands bandaged and a foul mood to go along with it. Dog wasn't showing any signs of aggression other than barking when we pulled in. He just had a determined stare when I reached out.

I'm not sure how I feel about someone who asks you to come to their house to see a puppy with an aggressive dog on a run that comes around to the front of the house and doesn't bother to mention the dogs temperament on the phone, but none the less, I should have used better judgement.

I'll be sore for a few days.

Unfortunately the owner has decided to put the dog down, something I told him not to do and he told me its not my decision. He's offered the pup for free, but I declined.

Don't think I want a dog bred from that stock.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/24/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sucks but least the owner didnt make excuses for the dog.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wow, sorry to hear of this, hope your going to be okay.
Owners fault, not the dog.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KFWA

Good idea!

Dog bites hurt like hell and infect real easy. hope you heal fast and well.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partsman
Wow, sorry to hear of this, hope your going to be okay.
Owners fault, not the dog.

run across a few neurotic dogs where the only fault of the owner was not putting the dog down sooner.....no clue where this dog falls on the scale.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

owner had a full grown adult on a run that went into his front yard and to the foot of his steps.

I reached out to let the dog sniff my hand - a mistake on my part - and the dog lunged at me. ended up in the e.r. with stitches in multiple places - both hands bandaged and a foul mood to go along with it. Dog wasn't showing any signs of aggression other than barking when we pulled in. He just had a determined stare when I reached out.

I'm not sure how I feel about someone who asks you to come to their house to see a puppy with an aggressive dog on a run that comes around to the front of the house and doesn't bother to mention the dogs temperament on the phone, but none the less, I should have used better judgement.

I'll be sore for a few days.

Unfortunately the owner has decided to put the dog down, something I told him not to do and he told me its not my decision. He's offered the pup for free, but I declined.

That sucks for both you and the dog, but once a dog has bitten once and the perceived threat leaves, he can never be trusted again. I think the owner did the right thing. I had a dog that bit a child once -- once. I put him down. Broke my heart, but I couldn't live with myself if he hurt another child.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 05/24/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
whenever you get bit by a dog in Ohio, the hospital has to contact the sheriff so deputies met with me - and I pretty much told them what I told you - It was my fault, I should have known better.

but I think they went out there and read them the riot act anyways because the owner didn't offer the puppy until after the deputy visit - not that I care. I'm not looking for an angle here or way to get ahead. I pretty much decided I didn't want a husky the moment he bit thru my jeans and punctured my abdomen. wink

The deputies said they would keep the report but not file it - something to that effect - because I didn't want the owner to get into trouble.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huskies, malamutes and the like are bad at being unprovoked biters.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Must be something in the water in Ohio. I was about ten when I got bit the first time. I was riding my bike about half way between Dayton and Vandalia when a great dane charged out and lifted me off my bike by my right leg.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure the wife who owned the dog understood exactly what happened when we called from the hospital to make sure he was up to date on his rabies shot. We didn't give her any details other than her dog bit me.

She was like "well yea, thats our guard dog!"

Like I said, I suspect the deputies put the evening in perspective with her when they followed up.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don't blame you for not wanting anything from that stock.

Hope the owners are not breeding either.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
DAMN!

It's mind boggling that he didn't put the dog up after inviting you over.

You sure you don't want to retire to a life of leisure in the tropics?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate to hear you got bit and I hope you dont have any problems healing.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When 2 was young our neighbors had a husky that would do the same thing. Calm as could be, tail wagging, he would let you walk right up to him, but once you were within striking distance (he was on a chain), he would come unhinged and try to take a piece out of your hide.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

There's your sign.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sucks, but I think both you and the dog owner seem like stand up guys

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'd be more than a little pissed if somebody invited me over to look at a pup and their dog put me in the hospital.

I got no problem with people keeping dogs for protection,...even badass dogs.

But there's a level of responsibility that someone has to accept when they keep badass dogs around.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
German Shepherd got me when I was around 12-13. I was helping a bud deliver papers so we could go fishing. Damn dog drug me off a porch by the leg.

8 or 9 whacks over the head with a 16 ounce R.C. Cola bottle stopped that blood line.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I went to look at a German Shepard pup once where the male dog was on the end of the chain trying to get a piece of me while the mother was crawling on my lap looking for affection.

I took that pup home and raised one of the best farm/guard dogs that I had ever seen.

Some people he would completely ignore while others would get the evil eye stare down.

And if you had a guilty conscience, you didn't get out of the car.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
German Shepherd got me when I was around 12-13. I was helping a bud deliver papers so we could go fishing. Damn dog drug me off a porch by the leg.

8 or 9 whacks over the head with a 16 ounce R.C. Cola bottle stopped that blood line.

I like that.

When I was a kid, a little younger than you, we were playing baseball in the neighbor's yard. It was fenced all the way around except one small section. The house behind us had an aggressive dog. He would sit right by the open section...and wait for use to get close. He would then lunge forward and bit us. The dog was medium size and would get us in the thigh or buttocks. The city had a leash law which the owner obviously ignored.

Several of the players got snipped by the dog, but we avoided him as much as possible. Eventually a ball was hit close to the opening. I decided to try to retrieve it in a non treating manner. However, I unconsciously carried the bat with me.

The dog lunged forward at me. In that split second I realized I had the bat. I jumped back and thought, "does that dog know I have a bat?"

By this time the dog was well in our space, and again lunged viciously toward my thigh. I simply let the bat fall off my shoulder...onto its head. As Hank Jr. would say, "It was an attitude adjustment."

He rolled over a couple of times, pausing long enough to lie idle on his back for a couple seconds...and much to our surprise...afterward, became a perfect spectator.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.