Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bea175
If you are happy with that, then I'm happy for you.

+2 and Brownells sells guns smithing supply's. You have no business even looking at the web sight. Just hang your moms picture back up once your done with the screw. Thanks for the lol.

Last edited by fredIII; 05/30/15.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I once shortened a barrel an inch at a time to measure velocity loss.

I'd be interested to hear the particulars on that if you don't mind and still have the information.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Without a lathe and gauge rod to make sure you are cutting the face of the crown square to the path of the bore as it exits the results are a bit of a crap shoot.

BTW often need a bore scooe go see crown problems like burs on one side, if you can see them with the naked eye it's really bad.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by bea175
If you are happy with that, then I'm happy for you.

+2 and Brownells sells guns smithing supply's you have no business even looking at the web sight. Just hang your moms picture back up once your done with the screw. Thanks for the lol.

So before you had technical insight..... and now you just have insults..... hilarious. Now that's twice you've done some excellent long range mouth running..... but you've yet to make a hit. Also, you might want to swing into Punctuation Warehouse next time you're in town..... you're obviously in short supply.

I also find it hilarious that we've seen/heard from folks who've done this successfully with nary an incident, we've heard all the conjecture from the peanut gallery on how it's the dunmbest thing you can ever do, but we've NOT heard from ANYONE who's ACTUALLY done this..... and FHUGKED UP THE GUN!

You spunk monkeys are using Brownells as an argument for NOT doing this..... but Brownells has specific instructions on their website on HOW to do it with a chamfer tool, a brass lapping tool, and a drill.

Here's the link.... just for you two Freddy and Aunt Bea175.......

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10598

Once again, those who can't will always find excuses why you shouldn't.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Yes Jordan, that's correct.

I had an old 'smith show me how to use the chamfer tool and brass screw.... he used them all the time, and built some very accurate sticks. He had all the "tools", and would use them when building guns. But for a "quick fix"... or to see if the crown was the problem... he went to the brass screw. He would use a cotton ball to make sure there where no burrs on the crown.

There's a reason I haven't bought a "crowning tool" from Brownells.... because I've never needed one. Besides, how can you fhugk-it up? If you do, it was a bad crown anyway.... right? Try it.... if it doesn't work, buy the tool... or send it to the 'smith. Do you take your Prius to the dealership when it needs air in the tires?

I've also watched a benchrest jockey use the same method on a VS .22-250 at the range one day.... it made a world of difference on that gun.

Funny how performance doesn't matter here on the fire. If you do your own work, and your gun shoots well..... you're lucky. But, if you drop $5000 on a GAP or Gradous.... it's ok if it shoots like schitt.... because it was built by a "reputable smith". Ask Drew how that's working out.

Seriously have you ever seen a Gradous rifle that doesn't shoot...........

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that link Dogshooter.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 05/30/15.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I have the Manson crowning kit. I cut a fresh crown on all new or used factory rifles I acquire. If a custom rifle has accuracy issues I can't resolve, I'll try a new crown on them. The Manson kit is very accurate.

Bob

I have one of these with the 11 degree target cutter and have been very pleased with it. It cuts a nice crown and has a guide to keep everything concentric to the bore.

IMO well worth the investment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both the Lathe and the Manson tool and can't really tell the Lathe does a better job. The Manson Tool is well worth the investment.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had a Brownells chamfering tool for around 25 years now, and have used it to crown and recrown dozens of barrels. It works great, in fact one of the recrowns was on a Remington 700 heavy-barrel .223 that is still the most accurate factory rifle I've owned. When the barrel was young it would average 5 shots of its favorite load in 1/4" at 100 yards.

As Rancho Loco said, it ain't rocket surgery.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

The flutes you see cut in the guide and expand when the guide is tightened. This locks the guide into the bore and keeps everything aligned. The brush is there to hold the guide while it's being tightened.
[Linked Image]

The only draw back is you need to buy different guides for different bores. I don't think they cost too much though.

http://www.mansonreamers.com/

IMO, there is a difference in a polish and a re-cut.

Last edited by TC1; 05/30/15.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
in no way is your crown square and true to the bore. That was my point. You started the insults with some shoe tying joke. thanks for showing us the way we should recrown rifles I'm betting all the 12 + guns u have fixed wink this way are .5 Moa shooters. I like my guns to much. To ruin them with a it might work fix. But your are free to do as you please, my original take that if it shoots your lucky . Is right on and I don't have time to deal with dice and card tricks. Sorry your feelings got hurt, because I think your quick fix is stupid. If you can't take some one saying it's not the best way, grow the puck up.

Last edited by fredIII; 05/30/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Again..... if it's already messed up... what have you got to lose?

I'm amazed at your ability to judge the concentricity via a single pic taken from an angle.... genius if I understand correctly.

It's not like we're taking brand new crowns and polishing doing this to them.... this is about trying to repair a little nic or scratch.

Still haven't wrangled up that punctuation I guess?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I get fixing a bad crown but y not do things right. pointing out spelling and punctuation your so smart get a life. Sounds like the crew is starting the quads got some sand to grind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking illiteracy and the inability to do simple gunsmithing are going hand in hand here..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pegged it...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm still trying to figure out how to hang a shelf that's not 25 degrees off level.

I wonder if after the cut one could run a file to level things off, humm...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Quads..... that's all I needed to know....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just doing a little scouting......

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cut my own crown after I chopped off 1 inch of the barrel took a flat file to even it out then did the brass screw with lapping compound I was pretty proud of myself and the rifle shot hell of lot better after I did that.

Last edited by 79S; 05/30/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never said a brass screw would not work I said your cutting tool looked like it took way to much rifling. Read the post. Qauds yep quads fun and I they piss off old men like you even better. The camp fire is a big dick contest now days your awesome everyone else is dumb. You you win your the king of the Internet.

GFY

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (1minute, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.