R
Better call Saul.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think if my dog bit someone without provocation I would have him put down too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow, a dog owner taking responsibility for his dog is pretty much once in a lifetime. All aggressive dog owners blame everyone else or deny any risk. Yes, all dogs are pack animals protective of their turf. I was chased by a pit bull and a weiner dog on the same run last week. Just very rare to hear of an owner assuming responsibility. And yes i would put the dog down. Aggression cant be tamed in a dog.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow! Sorry to hear this. I hope you heal quickly!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You handled the situation well, I hope you heal well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Exactamundo....

Bites can hurt like hell, especially on the hands.I have been VERY fortunate in my chosen profession to have almost never been bitten....almost. Got a couple unintentional bites when doing bite work ( dog missed the sleeve....) Got another unintentional on a dope search....dog got excited and meant no harm. Then I had a Malinois get me last spring, with intent. For whatever reason that one didn't hurt, bled like hell though grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'd have to live in an igloo before I let someone give me a husky.

Sucks about the bite.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was in 3rd grade, a schoolmate walking home from school was mauled to death by a Malamute/Husky that escaped its kennel. The owner had 3 other Huskies that appeared just as vicious as the one that got loose and killed the boy. The owner refused to do anything about them.

Somebody took care of the problem Huskies one day when the owner was gone.

Glad to hear the owner in this case did the right thing...

Last edited by Lonny; 05/25/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
when my brother was about 10 yrs old he was bitten my the neighbors husky.

Caught him behind the knee in the fat and layed him open good. took 65 stitches to close it back.

To this day I don't care for them, and that was 20+ years ago.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Went to look at husky puppy tonight,

Sorry you got bit.

I class huskies as being about like ferrets; one of them pets you have to accommodate yourself to rather than the other way around. Given any sort of freedom they'll inevitably do what they were bred to do: go out and run for miles and miles.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been hit twice once by a German Shepherd on a chain and I got in his ring of space and once by an Australian Shepherd who while running from wasps thought I was chasing one of his people.

Both times on the thigh. They both hurt pretty bad.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Leave sleeping dogs lie.

That includes the ones in kennels or tied to a line. Or on the other side of the fence. I'm always amazed by the amount of people that will cross my street to put their hand over my fence and pet my lab.

Yes, he is friendly. No, he has never bitten anybody. But what in the earth's holy fugg makes people feel as though they HAVE to pet a dog?

I always tell my kids to just walk past the goofy fuggers.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Partsman
Wow, sorry to hear of this, hope your going to be okay.
Owners fault, not the dog.

Yep. Ive known of tough men who have had a hand or forearm bite from a big dog and be somewhat crippled the rest of their life.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
When 2 was young our neighbors had a husky that would do the same thing. Calm as could be, tail wagging, he would let you walk right up to him, but once you were within striking distance (he was on a chain), he would come unhinged and try to take a piece out of your hide.

Had a German Sheppard male guard dog at dads shop. Nicest dog you would ever met. He would let you walk up and pet him, tail wagging, just sitting there minding his own business on a chain. Once you were finished petting him and you turned around to leave, he would nail you in the calf or hamstring.

I don't know how many people I had to tell to "back" away from the dog. I learned my lesson to not walk up and pet guard dogs as a kid. Only took once.

Granted the dog that bit the OP was not on a leash and should have been.

Last edited by RoadRunner65; 05/25/15.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hope you heal fast! Here's my adventure. At the age of 7, while waiting in the neighbors back yard for the neighbor kid to finish his lunch and come out and play, not knowing any better, I kneeled down and started to pet their German Shepard. I can remember the dog starting to attack and then my memory goes blank until I reached the back door of our house and saw the first drop of blood hit my shoe and then hearing my mom and sisters scream at the sight of my bloody face and neck. Unfortunately for me they had just given that dog a nice piece of steak and it took exception to my proximity. The dog was on a fairly long leash attached to pole and thank heavens I somehow was able to get away. It went for my neck missing my jugular vein by a 1/4 inch or so, missing my voice box barely and ripping three gashes through my cheek and missing my left eye by a fraction. I'm sure it hurt, but I have no memory of that (adrenaline) other than while getting stiches, I do remember being scared for my life when I first got home as my mother was trying to slow down the bleeding. Took about 2 hours plus to get 65 stiches. I love dogs but I've been very cautious of them, especially German Shepherds ever since. This dog had already bitten 3 or 4 other kids before it got me. I saw and petted the dog regularly before the bite and figured we were buds. Guess not. The family didn't want to put it down, but my father "convinced" them to, and he would have taken care of it himself if they hadn't.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Leave sleeping dogs lie.

That includes the ones in kennels or tied to a line. Or on the other side of the fence. I'm always amazed by the amount of people that will cross my street to put their hand over my fence and pet my lab.

Yes, he is friendly. No, he has never bitten anybody. But what in the earth's holy fugg makes people feel as though they HAVE to pet a dog?

I always tell my kids to just walk past the goofy fuggers.

Travis

Especially true in Montana where theres a cow dog in the back of every farm truck.

The herding dogs all have a possessive streak...its THEIR truck. Stick your hand in there and they'll bite it. Owner walks up with you and introduces you, and the dog is your best buddy ever...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been bitten a number of times, but God must have been watching over me because the bites were never too serious.

I worked at a veterinarian the summer after eighth grade. We would get dogs in for observation after they had bitten someone. We kept them in a separate ward. If they lived 16 days, I think it was, then we knew they didn't have rabies. One of those nasty curs got me good about his 15th day and then promptly died that night. The doc's were then double pizzed at me for getting bit because now they had to autopsy the brain. Whatever he died of, it wasn't rabies!

Last edited by GunReader; 05/25/15.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm been bit too. Hell,...who hasn't been dog bit?

But what KFWA has described is a serious fuggin' mauling by a serious fuggin' attack dog,... that resulted in a lot of blood and stitches,...and it's going to result in a hell of a hospital bill to somebody. Not to mention a lot of serious pain.

Now,..if he had gone onto someone's property unannounced and suffered the consequences, I'd say that he just used bad judgment and paid the price.

But this was a pre-arranged situation where the dog's owner knew that someone was coming over to their house, yet left their attack dog out and running.

I'm not sue happy. If I'm walking across your yard,..trip on a tree root and break my leg, I'm not going to blame you for having a tree root poking up out of the ground.

If you invite me over to consider a commercial transaction,..and you have an attack dog running the property and don't tell me about it,..and the attack dog sends me to the hospital,...Your stupid ass is gonna buy me a new Corvette,....minimum.

Fug stupid people.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Exactamundo....

Bites can hurt like hell, especially on the hands.I have been VERY fortunate in my chosen profession to have almost never been bitten....almost. Got a couple unintentional bites when doing bite work ( dog missed the sleeve....) Got another unintentional on a dope search....dog got excited and meant no harm. Then I had a Malinois get me last spring, with intent. For whatever reason that one didn't hurt, bled like hell though grin

I've seen a malinois bite 3 officers one night and didn't hit the perp once...fkin crazy dog. Pavlovian response to sirens.
Hate those fkers.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any dog can bite in the right circumstance. Got called in to work today to help with a sewage backup in the basement and I was in a biting mood. Miss Lilli the rat terrier has never made an aggressive move in her 15 years and still I'm cautious with her around strangers. I can read her mood and intent, they by and large can't.

I greet strange dogs by squatting down at a non-threatening distance, hands in and a few quiet words, and let them make the first move. Absolutely non-threatening and gives me a chance to gauge their attitude and how to approach - or not approach.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.