Print Thread
Hop To
B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This was my Hunting/fishing partner for about 20 years, their still looking...

RIP Buddy...

http://wivb.com/2015/05/15/authorities-search-for-missing-fisherman-at-chautauqua-lake/

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BGunn
This was my Hunting/fishing partner for about 20 years, their still looking...

RIP Buddy...

http://wivb.com/2015/05/15/authorities-search-for-missing-fisherman-at-chautauqua-lake/

I saw that last night and thought of you......not surprised you new the fellow. Sorry to hear he was a friend.

RIP Fellow Fisherman.

B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I guess ya never know when it's the final five minutes of your life.
We had a ton of laughs though.
We use to fish every Crappiethon at Chautauqua all the way back to the early '90's, and we chased a lot of whitetails in WNY.
He was a retired guard at Attica..

This ones kinda tough to swallow...

and climb on every rung.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Damn sorry to hear of this,hoping for a miracle

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50 years on the water, and it still ceases to amaze me how many folks don't wear life jackets. Vest style jackets aren't that uncomfortable to wear. Yeah, they can be a little hot, but the other option isn't very appealing. We fish on some pretty big water, and the chances of reaching shore if a boat went over are pretty slim without a life jacket on. Maybe this thread will make one of our guys think about this a bit and start wearing that life jacket. Think about your family at home waiting on you, and maybe it won't seem so cumbersome after all.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The suspender types are not hard to ignore completely. I fish smaller lakes mostly on nice days. When drifting in the middle of the lake on those nice days the boat drifts away from things that fall overboard faster than I can swim and it's a long haul to shore even when the water is warm. Never mind the increased risk when underway. So I got used to pull-to-inflate suspender types particularly when fishing alone and I don't really notice them anymore.

Went with manual inflate, don't need the help if I get dunked where I can stand on the bottom or dog paddle there. Which is more likely.

Also adds a level of comfort on early ice and they're camo for waterfowling.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry to hear that.
My rule is, you don't go on my boat without one.
I always wear one and I don't go solo if the water is too cold to swim in.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sad news. I fish a lot of the winter from my boat wearin deer hunting clothes & boots. A flotation device would come in handy if you went in the water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the manual type. I wear mine regularly, and while fishing in rain mine when off twice. At $20 to re-arm, i converted my vest to manual.

Sorry for anyone's loss on the water. Most of those deaths are preventable, but we are too (stubborn, cool, lazy or ? ) to wear the device that will protect us. Yet we are within 3 feet of being in the water. .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, that's terrible.

I have to admit that I don't usually wear a pfd, but when things start looking spicy I'm not above it. Yesterday was a good example.

I live near a lake and have been working the bugs out a used boat/motor combination. I put a different prop on it yesterday and wanted to test it, so I launched on the South end of the lake with a pretty good SW wind going. Things were fine until I left the shelter of the Lee of the South shore. The middle of the lake was choppy with 3+ footers that were capping. I decided to turn my 14 footer around and head in when things got bouncy enough that I attached the dead man's lanyard and put on a vest.

I was soaked pretty good by the time I got back near the South shore.

Don't ever be too proud or arrogant to wear a pfd. They're a heck of a lot more comfortable than lying stiff in a box.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's tough, prayers for his friends and family.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
A little irony to go along with the sadness....

While he was in the water for the 8 days before they found him, his wife was quite understandably upset, and just wanted them to get him out of the cold water.

They found his body on Thursday the 21st, and had the memorial on Sunday (yesterday).

This week his wife is putting the ashes back in the lake.
I'm sure Dave would want it that way, just ironic I guess...

and climb on every rung.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am always sorry to having a teaching/learning moment by someones loss of life.

A coworker lamented about her husband giving her a hard time about wearing hers same to his daughter.

She said the boat felt like it was was airborne as he jumped wakes from barges on the Tennessee River.

I told her my advice was to wear one when felt like and let him laugh.

I sent her this thread to reinforce her feeling that wearing one was a mandatory activity.

Got an email from her this week, they were on the river and she was wearing her vest.

Last edited by LouisB; 05/30/15.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was out today at 4:30 a.m. and fished until about 11 a.m. I probably crossed paths with about 20 boats. Not a single person was wearing a life jacket. Truly disgusting. I'm wondering how many of these folks are the same ones who refuse to wear a seat belt?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm wondering how many by lottery tickets - odds of needing a life jacket quite a lot better than hitting big numbers.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My condolences and prayers for you and your friend's family

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.