-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought one of these with the fibrox handle last year to use while processing deer. I really like it and I'm thinking of upgrading some of my kitchen knives to more of these.

Do any of you use them? How do they hold up long term? Would you recommend something else that's in the same price range over these?

I don't need anything fancy, just something that holds an edge and will give long lasting performance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had two Vix and could never get them to hold and edge past a use or two. I ended up spending some coin and built myself a set of Wusthof classics. I say built a set because I bought what I needed vs. the pre-assembled sets they sell. If you are patient, you can get some good deals on eBay.

There are many on here that are way more knowledgable than me about kitchen knives that can shed more light. Some of the Japanese steel is unbelievable so don't rule those out if you can buy them right. The best thing I ever did was switch to bamboo and maple cutting boards vs. the synthetics. The hardwoods are much easier on your blades.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lots of folks swear by the cheap, throw away knives. I personally don't like them. I suppose the little paring knives are ok, but frankly, I can afford better, and buy better.
Others are free to look at the issue differently, and of course, to buy and use what makes them happy. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the Victorinox knives that I have. They are mostly boners but I bought my Wife some paring knives and a couple called tomato knives. Small, serrated and one had a point while the other had a rounded point. Both work very well on tomatoes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their steel is very tough. I was given a couple long serrated produce knives from a local store. They were worn out, but I wanted to cut asparagus with them. I tried using chain saw files, then my dremmel, nothing would cut it, ended up using my 4 1/2 surface grinder with a 1/8 cutting wheel. Ugly as heck, but it cuts asparagus.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not the best, but affordable for most. Edge holding depends on chore at hand. Around the household kitchen, they work,,and easy to touch-up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Local butcher shop uses nothing but Vix knives if that helps.

Love my Vix boners and they have become my primary along with a Dexter asian cleaver.

Grandma did well with less. No need to keep up with the Joneses.

300 buck paring knives may be the shizzle for some but I'll respectfully pass.

JMHO.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm pretty partial to my Forschner/Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife. . It has excellent balance, and handles well. It doesn't hold an edge forever, but it does touch up easily - more easily than my Wustoff.

I really like what it does for the money. I can undoubtedly buy better knives, but I'll spend more than I'll get.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Victorinox Serrated: yes

non-serrated: no

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've used them for years. Excellent knives.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
These are great .....got three of them in different colors...holds edge and touches up easily.
Silverpoint II 4.5" Utility Knife

[Linked Image]

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Grandma did well with less. No need to keep up with the Joneses.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a couple. They do everything I need without much maintenance but I'm not a professional chef or a knife snob. Just a mere mortal chopping up a few veggie's and a piece of meat now and then.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like them plenty. I think thier steel is better than most.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I'm going to pick up a couple more. Probably a chef's knife and a slicer to start out with. I'm no snob when it comes to anything. I like what works well. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't think the stuff I'm going to cut will give a damn how much the knife cost that did it. I've been making it work with the cheap white handled knives from Sams so I would guess these would be an upgrade.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's hard to go wrong with 'em. Even the simplest Google search for reviews turns up universally positive feedback.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I've found as well, but just because someone writes about it on Google doesn't me they know how to use a knife. I like hearing from folks that have experience with said tool in hand.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have some of the Vic and a set of top end forged Henckles and a couple of wurstofs( a gift from my brother in law when he visited the factory while working for Addias). The vics are my favorite for most tasks. They have a thinner blade profile and take an edge really fast. They may not hold it as long as the Henckles, but I find sharping the Henckles a PITA.

I do a good amount of my meat shopping at an independent butcher and he uses the Vics as well.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

274 members (10gaugemag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.