Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickF
A Kenny Jarrett 250 Imp?

He had nothing to do with the design, Jarrett handed it to him and said "try this".

From the article a neat rifle.

I can't say I remember that much detail, maybe the article was more about walking around with the rifle? (rather than putting it together?) the improved part rings a bell though (that I didn't recall before)

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved his articles. Not just his 'Backtracking' column, but the articles he wrote for the text of the magazine. His writing style just suited me. I liked him, just from the articles that he wrote. After he dropped off the printed page, I ran into Larry Weishun in Oklahoma City and he told me that G. Sitton was spending a lot of time at Penn Baggett's ranch in Texas. Seems like not too long after that, I found out that he had died of pancreatic cancer I believe. Regardless, it made me sad to learn of his passing. I got a lot of 'good stuff' from his writing.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There has been no better writer, ever.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I fondly remember an article he wrote- "Christmas past and present".... I believe that was the title. Fantastic.... Would love to have a copy of that one!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I met him once at a DU event in Memphis. He was doing a handloading seminar and I went specifically to met him. We talked afterwards, ate some food and he gave me his address and phone.

I loved his back page articles.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I consider him to have been one of the very best...

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Add me to the list of fans. Used to have a 3-ring binder I filled with his articles. Lost it in a move. One of my favorites involved the life-long bachelor/hunter who only owned 4 guns. Would love to read that one again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eureka!

A generous member of this forum has agreed to sell me 84 articles by Sitton clipped from PH over the span of years he wrote for that magazine.

The text is in the mail. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He was one of my favorite writers too. Several years ago, I purchased a 6mm JDJ #2 Contender barrel that JD Jones of SSK made for Gary. I don't know if he ever wrote an article about the cartridge or barrel, but I'd sure like to read it if he did.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Eureka!

A generous member of this forum has agreed to sell me 84 articles by Sitton clipped from PH over the span of years he wrote for that magazine.

The text is in the mail. smile

cool cool

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
He was one of my very favorite writers.

I still have a few old Hunting magazines with his writing and enjoy reading them once in a while.

One I think was called "Too much stuff" or something similar??

He was one of my favorite writer also. I think the article about "too much stuff" was him getting down to 10 guns and moving to Arizona or New Mexico. I just reread it the other day and can really relate.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
He was one of my very favorite writers.

I still have a few old Hunting magazines with his writing and enjoy reading them once in a while.

One I think was called "Too much stuff" or something similar??

He was one of my favorite writer also. I think the article about "too much stuff" was him getting down to 10 guns and moving to Arizona or New Mexico. I just reread it the other day and can really relate.

I think he was discussing it with John Wooters over the phone right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Backtracking pages have arrived. Mr. Sitton's essays stand up well to the coursing of time. It took all of six sentences and two short paragraphs before his distinct voice caused a lump to form in my throat. The piece was entitled "Economics"- April 1998. Loss, regret, renewed friendships...

Now to put a newly printed English degree to work and start bugging Peterson and other stakeholders. We'll see how it all goes. wink

In the mean time here a video clip of the "Bear" hunting aoudad in Texas:

http://huntervids.com/videos/youngblood-films-texas-gary-sitton-and-the-west-texas-hunt/

Last edited by olgrouser; 06/11/15.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by olgrouser

In the mean time here a video clip of the "Bear" hunting aoudad in Texas:

http://huntervids.com/videos/youngblood-films-texas-gary-sitton-and-the-west-texas-hunt/

That ain't the same Gary Sitton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Certainly not the one that I met.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wrong Gary Sitton.

Apparently roofing contractors can afford more hunts than literate hunting writers, which doesn't surprise me.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MY BAD! blush confused blush

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I finally dug my old Peterson's Hunting magazines out of storage and pulled all the Backtracking columns out to put into a binder for easy reading.

[Linked Image]

I thought I had a bunch more, but couldn't seem to track them down. Here's what I'm missing if anyone has these laying around and would like to sell me the Backtracking columns from these issues...

- Anything prior to May 1995
- June & September 1995
- March & June 1996
- July & December 1998
- May,June,July & August 1999
- Anything after September 1999

If anyone needs a particular column that I have, I'd be happy to share a copy of what I have.

Putting these stories into the binder definitely brought back some memories of where I was in my life when these were published. So many of these stories are as relevant today as they were back then, some even more so.

Any help to complete this project would be MUCH appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Mike

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Who do we lobby to get these printed in book form?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved his writing too. Would copyright laws be broken if someone scanned some of his work and created a document which could be emailed without charging for it?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (257 mag, 35, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.