Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9934586 05/25/15
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This isn't a question, but I've been rereading some of Gary's old "Backtracking" articles in Peterson's Hunting magazine back when he used the pen name Jacob Bowers. I sure miss his writing, he was quite good, and left us too soon.

I wish someone in the industry would put together a compilation of his best work from Huntng, Guns and Ammo and Handloader/The Rifle magazines (remember "Tales From French Creek?") like Elmer Keith's "Gun Notes" books.

Deus Juvat

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I also enjoyed his writing. Sorry to know he has already passed on.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always enjoyed his work as well. Would love to to see a compilation as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I wish someone in the industry would put together a compilation of his best work from Huntng, Guns and Ammo and Handloader/The Rifle magazines (remember "Tales From French Creek?") like Elmer Keith's "Gun Notes" books."

Over the years I've forwarded that same notion - sure wish some publisher would compile the best of GARY SITTON's material. The first thing I'd read in my Peterson's Hunting back in the 90s was the Backtracking page. He worked the nostalgic theme well. His voice is missed around the proverbial campfire.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would like to see a collection of his pieces too, but doubt it will happens, for several reasons. First, books of hunting/shooting essays and stories don't sell very well, unless the author is quite famous--which leads to the second reason. Gary has been gone a decade now, and wasn't writing for a while before he passed away, so isn't exactly a well-known name among today's readers. Third, there might be complications due to copyright ownership.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The subject of a Gary Sitton book has come up before on the Campfire. I believe Mule Deer posted that such a thing was not going to happen due to complications with copyright(?) or somesuch. Possibly John will chime in.

I, too, would very much like to see a compilation of Gary Sitton's work.

RS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not enough money in trying to bring back the dead

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
He was one of my very favorite writers.

I still have a few old Hunting magazines with his writing and enjoy reading them once in a while.

One I think was called "Too much stuff" or something similar??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed his writing very much--his company less so. However, that doesn't diminish my appreciation of his writing. If someone published an anthology I would definitely buy it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would like to see a collection of his pieces too, but doubt it will happens, for several reasons. First, books of hunting/shooting essays and stories don't sell very well, unless the author is quite famous--which leads to the second reason. Gary has been gone a decade now, and wasn't writing for a while before he passed away, so isn't exactly a well-known name among today's readers. Third, there might be complications due to copyright ownership.

I find that sad. I miss his writing. He wasn't a celebrity and probably never wanted to be one. But he was quite a wordsmith and knew his subject

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Olgrouser you are right. Gary did hit the nostalgic button with me in his article, if memory serves "A squirrel story" I sure wish I could find that article as it would
easily rank in my top 5 and I've read the works of many gun/hunting writers since the late 60's spanning 8-10 magazines.

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary Sitton was a fantastic writer and a wonderful friend. He was also a very complex person and not easy to get to know well. He left us way too early. I too would love to see a compilation of his writings in book form, but I agree totally with John B. that there are two chances of us seeing such a thing in the future, slim and none.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I propose something novel. The only piece of Sitton's writing I have is in a Word document the column beginning “Some people go hunting; others are hunters."
This text I am willing to make available/share/trade in exchange for other of Sitton's works for my private reading library.

OK on copyrights? Or does one set up a fanzine site? Any comments?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
He was without a doubt one of my favorite writers of all time.

I have a stack of old Peterson's publications in a box that I kept only because Gary had articles in them.

Backtracking was the first thing I read every issue of Peterson's Hunting.

Bill

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the reminder about Gary Sitton. I have boxes and boxes of old magazines taking up space. For some reason it's a struggle let them go 'cause I know I should revisit many of the authors and at least thumb through those magazines one last time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pdfs, scans, word docx...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was able to have brief correspondence[one letter] with Sitton regarding the 7-08 Rem. I was thinking of buying one and he was putting one together for a hunt, I believe, in Colorado. I contacted Hunting Magazine, and the lady said send my letter to them and they'll try and get it to Mr. Sitton. Got my reply in about 3-4 weeks, full of all manner of loading info and general insight of the caliber, bullet weights,etc. I think I may still have that letter. He was pretty nice in his letter. Great writer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember a column he wrote about putting together a "walking around rifle" in .250 Savage. At least I think it was him. anyone else remember that article?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A Kenny Jarrett 250 Imp?

He had nothing to do with the design, Jarrett handed it to him and said "try this".

From the article a neat rifle.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tx270
He was without a doubt one of my favorite writers of all time.

I have a stack of old Peterson's publications in a box that I kept only because Gary had articles in them.

Backtracking was the first thing I read every issue of Peterson's Hunting.

Bill

Me too. I've toyed with the idea of framing some of my favorite stories to hang in my office and guest room. It's been a while since I read them and I really should dig them out and see what kind of shape they are in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.