Campfire Kahuna
Cool gun and congratulations.

LOL
BP-B2

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Cool gun and congratulations.

Thank you smile

Enjoying the simple things in life; a day out hunting, meat on the griddle, a sip of good bourbon and a night under the stars...
OP Offline
Final photo of the stock, showing the colour better, before it was packed up and shipped to me:

[Linked Image]

Enjoying the simple things in life; a day out hunting, meat on the griddle, a sip of good bourbon and a night under the stars...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's going to look real nice.

LOL
OP Offline
Indeed laugh

I really like picking up classic well used guns, giving them a second life.

Normally I would do the stock myself. But I know that the laquer on the old Marlin stocks can be pretty vicious - and I am rather busy atm.

The white spacer had not shrunk btw, it was simply mounted the wrong way.

I would really wish I could find a pre remlin 39 to work on - but they are rare as hens' teeth here in Denmark.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RedBeardDane
I would really wish I could find a pre remlin 39 to work on - but they are rare as hens' teeth here in Denmark.

Congrats on finding a nice vintage rifle. The stock work came out nicely. I found the history you shared on gun confiscation and ammunition stockpiling to be interesting. It certainly was a new piece of history for me.

The first rifle I ever shot, not counting the Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, was the very first Model 39. It was produced in the early 20's with octagon barrel and with the action and lever case color hardened. I still have it. I have a few of the latest Model 39A's. They are pre-remlin. They are nice, but I prefer the original model. It is much lighter and livelier in the hands than the newer ones. The same can be said for my 1965 Marlin 444 vs my 444 Marlin purchased new in 2005. I attribute this in large part to the slimmer stocks of the older models. I attached a pic of my original 39 below.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Model 39 Pic.jpg (85.62 KB, 2367 downloads)
OP Offline
WWII is a very dark piece of Danish history - even today some families have substantial emotional scars from the war, especially the families of the relatively large amount of Danish Waffen SS volunteers.
Right after the war an official "this is how it went" story was agreed upon, by the same authorities that colaborated with the Germans - that version of the events is what has been taught to school children ever since. It is only within the last 10 years or so that the true history of Denmark during WWII is emerging, and it is not a nice story at all.

The strategy of having the army stockpiling ammunition in civillian calibers was highly supported by the US as part of the military aid bestowed upon Europe during the cold war. I don't think we paid a lot for these 170 G .30-30 Remington Core-Lokts smile
Atm. the store where I bought mine has a few thousand in stock. I will be picking up a few hundred more next time I pass by. It seems to be the "go-to" cartridge for many .30-30 owners?

Your 39 is a beautiful piece. But I guess that a piece like that is rare, even in the US?

I have even considered a recent production remlin 39A - some of the ones I have seen recently looks fairly good. They are very popular here right now, as is the 1895G in .45/70 Govt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is reloading common/legal in Denmark?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RedBeardDane
Your 39 is a beautiful piece. But I guess that a piece like that is rare, even in the US?

I have even considered a recent production remlin 39A - some of the ones I have seen recently looks fairly good. They are very popular here right now, as is the 1895G in .45/70 Govt.

I see original 39's come up on gunbroker regularly. But the asking price is always well upwards of $1,000 when they do. There are a few listed on it right now in pretty good condition for $1500 and up. So yes, it's fair to say they are rare even in the U.S. Mine has seen a lot of use. It was my father's before he passed it on to me. The older models are not supposed to have high velocity 22LR shot in them. Apparently the older bolts sometimes crack under that pressure. They are fine for regular velocity. Having said that, I only learned of this about ten years ago and have run a lot of high velocity through mine. I guess mine happened to be on the positive side of production process in that regard. After they revised the original model 39, the bolts were beefed up so high velocity is safe in all of them from then on.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Is reloading common/legal in Denmark?

It is legal. But you will have to pass a course in order to get a permit - and you have to dedicate a room, which will have to live up to some very strict standards, in the house for reloading and storing the powder. You will never get a permit in an apartment like the one I live in currently.
If you have a reloading permit, the police is - by law - allowed to inspect your reloading room and powder storeage, without a warrent, anytime and as often as they please.

For the reasons above it is not really that common. But with ammo prices increasing, it is becoming more and more so.

I have a few friend who reloads for me.

An annoying side effect of the legality of reloading here, is that all ammunition and components thereof, including spent brass and shotgun shells, has to be kept in a licenced gun safe. Another factor making reloading impractical and expensive here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ironic being forced to keep powder/primers in a safe. Here it is advised not to do that due to the contained pressure/bomb effect in a fire. It is interesting to talk to you and learn about cultures that are so similar, but yet different from mine. I enjoy lurking on the Canada and Alaska forums for the same reasons. The things faced by my neighbors and cousins in the far north are interesting and often not forseen.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the constraints placed on shooters there would seem to limit your ability to wage war against an oppressive govt. Just a coincidence I'm sure... wink

LOL
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ironic being forced to keep powder/primers in a safe. Here it is advised not to do that due to the contained pressure/bomb effect in a fire. It is interesting to talk to you and learn about cultures that are so similar, but yet different from mine. I enjoy lurking on the Canada and Alaska forums for the same reasons. The things faced by my neighbors and cousins in the far north are interesting and often not forseen.

It gets worse; even black powder has to be kept in a safe - which is ridiculously dangerous!

Originally Posted by Fireball2
All the constraints placed on shooters there would seem to limit your ability to wage war against an oppressive govt. Just a coincidence I'm sure... wink

Things are very different here in Europe, for us weapon ownership has never been a right - always a privilege. But, a privilege that was, never the less, very much less restricted in the past.
We also have a very different traditions as to how much power we allow our government to wield over us - and as to how much responsibility the individual person has to take for him-/herself.
Even though our way of doing things have certain advantages - I, for one, belives that the obvious disadvantages are beginning to heavily outgrow said advantages. Had I the oppertunity to get a job at an outdoor-/gun store in the US, I would pack my bags immediately. I would very much like to experience living and working in the US.

OP Offline
Finally, photos of the finish project:

[Linked Image]
Marlin 336T Texan by Jakob Elbæk Egegaard Pedersen, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
Marlin 336T Texan by Jakob Elbæk Egegaard Pedersen, on Flickr

I am quite happy about the result! I belive this rifle will serve me well for years to come now. I am also quite glad I went with the lower mount instead of the traditional see-through mount. Even though the scope is mounted as low as the back sight allows, it is stille pretty high, I may have to get myself a leather cheek rest for this rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle. I really like that.

Though, the see-throughs would have gotten you free pass to the south-eastern states and the nickname "Bubba".

Without question. (grin)

OP Offline
grin

Sounds almost too good to pass up... People from the south-eastern states are among the nicest people I have ever talked to. I could even live with the nickname.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine looking rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great thread and great job restoring a working piece of history.

hope you enjoy the rifle immensely.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent. That's one to be proud of.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dane: the number electric penciled on the bottom of the bolt should be the last 4 or so numbers from the guns serial number-this makes sure that the correct bolt goes into the gun it was fitted to. also, the rear sight can be removed or on the newer guns - the "V" can be folded down for more clearance. have fun, Mel Chung

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
255 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.