-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps I could learn this technique someplace other than in my reloading area. That's where there's a strict "NO OPEN FLAME" rule in place for obvious reasons.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a wick-style alcohol burner. Would an alcohol flame work as well as a candle or is there a temperature difference in an alcohol flame that would make it work not as well? Thanks

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not a Gun Writer., but a hobbyist. I've found the method of placing a drill motor in a vice with a 3/8ths socket (for 223 Rem) rotate slowly while holding a propane torch to the neck area. I have watched the automated machines do what I do manually. For 223 takes about 6 sec. and '06 necks about 8 sec. So my normal speed of counting I count to 9 for the small ones and 13 for the big ones this equals 6 and 8 sec. I pick (bare fingers)the base of the cartridge out of the socket and roll on a wet cloth that's on a cookie sheet. The insides aren't wet so they can be loaded the same day as annealing with out any other procedures. The brass is soft down to about half the cartridge length, when tested with a pair of pliers, the bottom half is hard.
Using this method my ES has come down to the single digit range and brass life is long. And, I rarely toast my fingers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by immature
I have a wick-style alcohol burner. Would an alcohol flame work as well as a candle or is there a temperature difference in an alcohol flame that would make it work not as well? Thanks

An answer to your question will depend on the type of alcohol, and the percentage of water in the alcohol. I recall (vaguely and perhaps incorrectly) from chem class that flame temperature increases from methanol to ethanol to propanol. I also recall that 70% alcohol will burn with a lower temperature than 95% or 100% alcohol.

From the G. Gordon Liddy era, I remember that the flame temperature of a candle is about 1000°C. Google finds alcohol flame temperatures to be about 1700-1900°C (dpending on type and purity).

In annealing a brass case, the hotter alcohol flame may or may not heat the neck too much before the middle of the case becomes too hot to hold with bare fingertips. The candle flame temperature is such that heat is transmitted down the length of the case before the neck is heat damaged.

--Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Coming into this discussion late but do you do the initial anneal after a few firings, and any more annealing required after the initial annealing? Might try this to help increase the lifespan of brass given the prices we are paying and how hard it is to find in many cartridges now.

I try to anneal after every fourth loading and I frequently discard my cases after the 12th loading, so most lots get annealed twice. Someone here on the 'fire recommended this frequency and it seems to work well for me.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Fred Barker (shooter, and professional metallurgist) wrote an article on cartridge case metallurgy, and the candle method of annealing, which was published in the July 1996 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. His recommended methods of annealing were:
1) The Lead Pot method
and
2) The Candle Flame method - with a note that 'any other relatively cool yellow flame, such as that from a kerosene-burning wick light' would also do the job.

Barker did not state what the typical temperature of a candle flame is. He noted that in his tests it would melt a sliver of wheel weight metal in about 8 to 10 seconds, so it must be well over 700 degrees F.

If the figures quoted by 'Bullshooter' are correct (I'm not disputing them) then the flame from an alcohol burner MAY be too hot for safety. Probably make less mess than a sooty candle or kerosene wick flame, though ....

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm new to this and trying to learn. Have you guys seen certain brands of brass that seem to need the process sooner? We all have our preferred brass for reloading. Just wondering about the " I don't use the x,y,z brand because I have to anneal after 3rd firing etc".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redrover
... If the figures quoted by 'Bullshooter' are correct (I'm not disputing them) then the flame from an alcohol burner MAY be too hot for safety. Probably make less mess than a sooty candle or kerosene wick flame, though ....

Cartridge case annealing may result in unsafe cases if the case head is heated sufficiently to become soft. (Thus the precaution with some procedures of standing cases head down in a pan of water.)

The safety of the annealing process using a candle or other heat source is achieved principally by holding the case amidships with fingertips, and also by then promptly cooling the case with water when it's become too hot to hold without pain. Barker suggests the temperature at which pain occurs is about 150°F, and that the middle of the case reaches this temperature when the case neck reaches about 700°F in a candle flame.

The reason for the prompt cooling with wet towel or pan of water is not provided in Barker's article, as nearly as I can discover from about three read-throughs. I presume that prompt water cooling prevents the case head from becoming too hot. If the case were allowed to air cool, heat in the neck area might be conducted down the length of the case and soften the case head.

Barker cited with approval the case annealing technique described by William Dresser in The American Rifleman (Sept 1962, p.42). Dresser using a propane torch to heat the case neck, holding the case with his fingertips. When a Tempilstik indicating crayon showed the neck had reached 700°F, the case was dropped immediately into a bucket of water.

A propane torch has a much hotter flame than a candle, and in that respect the Dresser method might resemble the use of an alcohol lamp. However, the important difference between the torch and candle methods is that neck temperature was evaluated directly with the torch. Neck temperature is judged indirectly with the candle technique using fingertips as heat sensors. Use of an alcohol lamp with crayon or lacquer indicator should be a safe and workable method.

--Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've discussed the method with Fred, and the reason for the wet towel wipe-down is both to cool the case, to prevent heat reaching the head, and to get rid of the soot from the candle flame while it's still soft and easily wiped off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Every time I see this explanation I am reminded of the comment my wife made a few years ago. She was passing thru the "reloading room" and seeing me holding a piece of brass over a candle she said: are you sure you should be doing that in the house?
She understands the process now.

Tell her it's an ancient ritual going all the way back to the invention of the brass cartridge, much like burning a picture of a Saint in your hands you are now officially a made Looney!! laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Glad I read this thread. Will definitely make use of the candle method.

And this made me chuckle.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Does anyone have a favorite ointment for their fingers?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hoppe's #9.

Classic. grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.