Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's been over 20 years since I have been there, and since we moved back to the lower 48 my wife wants to do a vacation to NC. We will have about 5-6 days to drive down from MI. We will be hitting the blue ridge and she wants to see the coast.

We want to see more historic vs the tourist traps, what are some good spots?we are planning late summer.

Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We've been going to Emerald Isle for the last 20 years. It is a vacation spot but not as overrun as many places. They're are some historical towns in the area. It's right by Camp Lejeune.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/index.htm

Well worth a visit and a good visit. It's a 3-4 hour visit and you can follow it up with lunch at The The Black Pelican which is the old weather bureau where the Wright brothers went to to send the telegram of the first successful heavier than air flight.

Asheville is an "interesting: town with a lot of great beers, and a whole lot of hipsters, the Biltmore is not to be missed. http://www.biltmore.com

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love North Carolina. I've met so many good people from there, and I have always had a good time visiting there. With that said the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area is my favorite so far.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I like the idea of the wright bros. my daughter loves every aspect of aviation. Last I was there I was in my early 20's stationed at Lejeune. I missed out a lot when I was there. Then I just wanted to chase women, now we want to see it. Wife also wants to see the base but she would be happy to just see the gate, since we can't get on base now.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The battleship North Carolina (BB55) in Wilmington.

Fort Macon , Atlantic Beach NC

Tryon Palace in New Bern , colonial governors mansion , it's not the original but they have some neat stuff.

Cradle of Forestry in Pisgah Forest NC

Vance's birthplace , civil war governor of NC. Weaverville NC (near Asheville)

Biltmore House in Asheville if you want to pay big bucks to walk around some old , dead bazillionaires house.

Grove Park Inn , Asheville. The original building is a marvel to me. I don't know if the car museum is still there or not.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
In Asheville as stated earlier visit the Biltmore House and be sure to do the winery tour if you like wines. The Grove Park Inn is truly spectacular. For a meal in the area try Tupelo Honey in downtown Asheville. If you go to Wilmington you are not far from where the author Robert Ruark grew up. The house of his grandfather is still standing and is now a B&B - just google it and you'll see a ton of information on the place. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shackelford Banks and all the little islands around Beaufort. Quiet small beach town you can grab a ferry to an island and hang out with wild horses and best of all no people. I live in NC and that is my area of choice when going to the beach. I don't like big beach towns. You can gig flounder at night for cheap as well. And usually dolphins are in the inlet. The kids can find conchs on the beach.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for the tip, gremcat. I'll be on the lookout for Shackelford Banks.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
5-6 days to visit the mountains and the coast will be a stretch. I would try to allow more time, especially from where you will be driving from. Have a great trip.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
To me, NC means the Outer Banks, specifically Frisco and Hatteras south to Ocracoke and beyond. Sweet, sweet place especially late May, early June when it's warmed up but the summer crowd hasn't arrived yet, fish are biting,

Mathew 22: 37-39

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I was born in NC and raised in Texas, except for a short time when we moved back when I was in high school. I haven't been back to NC to visit family in about 19 years. I think it's time to plan a trip up there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a longggggggggg days drive from where I live in the mnts to the outer banks,,, If I go to the beach it's Okracoke,,,,

Biltmore house
Blue ridge parkway around Waynesville and north
Lotsa waterfalls around here,
Table rock is really cool down around Morganton NC

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you make it to Wilmington, visit the Fort Fisher museum and aquarium. Kure Beach will also be less packed with tourists than Wrightsville Beach. Slightly outside of Wilmington is the Moores Creek National Battelfield, worth a visit if you've got the time. The battleship is a nice attraction, but maybe not when dealing with summer crowds.

If you want to do some reading prior to your visit, I suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wilmington-Campaign-Last-Departing/dp/0811729915

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I like the idea of the wright bros. my daughter loves every aspect of aviation. Last I was there I was in my early 20's stationed at Lejeune. I missed out a lot when I was there. Then I just wanted to chase women, now we want to see it. Wife also wants to see the base but she would be happy to just see the gate, since we can't get on base now.

I just retired out of Lejeune and still live in the area. Can probably get you on base to sightsee, hit the PX etc. Shoot me a pm if you'd like to meet up depending on the date.

Semper Fi

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carolina beach, fort fisher, state aquarium st fisher

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.