Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9935884 05/25/15
99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our veterans past, present and future for their sacrifices to our country.

Their isn't a day that goes by in my life that I don't think about their service, so I and my family can enjoy the freedoms most Americans take for granted every day.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes,
Avoiding the computer and TV all weekend..and all the "Memorial day sale" B.S., allows for moments of true reflection on the sacrifices made in our name.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our veterans past, present and future for their sacrifices to our country.

Their isn't a day that goes by in my life that I don't think about their service, so I and my family can enjoy the freedoms most Americans take for granted every day.

Not understanding what Memorial Day is pisses of many Veterans, you might want to work on that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RANDY
VERY NICE, SPENT THE MORNING WITH SOME VETS ETC. IT WAS NICE.
Here, Here to all That they Have Done

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Not understanding what Memorial Day is pisses of many Veterans, you might want to work on that.

OK, I guess what you are getting at is this is Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. Memorial Day started in 1868 as Decoration Day. It was a day to decorate the graves of those that died while in the armed services. Not sure when they changed it to Memorial Day, I guess when they made it a Federal Holiday. My Dad, Uncle and Brother are all vets, they are also all dead. I don't know if they get upset when someone honors the living on a day meant to honor the dead. I know while thinking of them, my family members and other deceased vets, I still give thanks to the living, for keeping us free, Joe.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 05/26/15.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

OK, I guess what you are getting at is this is Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. Memorial Day started in 1868 as Decoration Day. It was a day to decorate the graves of those that died while in the armed services. Not sure when they changed it to Memorial Day, I guess when they made it a Federal Holiday. My Dad, Uncle and Brother are all vets, they are also all dead. I don't know if they get upset when someone honors the living on a day meant to honor the dead. I know while thinking of them, my family members and other deceased vets, I still give thanks to the living, for keeping us free, Joe.

Amen Joe. My sentiments exactly.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm thankful for their service on Memorial day and Veteran's day and every other day.

You want to split hairs and get pissed off, that is your problem, not mine.

Thanks to all you other veterans.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thank you.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RAS

Thank you.

And Thank you Jeff for your years of service to our country.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

99guy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS

Thank you.

You are very welcome

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its interesting. I sometimes also participate in the forums on the CMP website and found that those guys are amazingly oblivious to honoring those who died in military service on Memorial Day and to those who served on Veteran's Day. At least that goes for the bolt gun guys. A couple years ago I posted a similar thread on Veteran's Day and barely got any replies. Sadly, I think these national days of remembrance have just become little more than excuses for a long weekend. Considering how so many wrap themselves in history over at the CMP site I can't for the life of me reconcile their ironic attitude towards these holidays.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As a kid, Memorial Day found our teachers selling little paper poppies for like 10¢ and we all bought them and wore them proudly. The money, as I recall, went toward buying little flags and flowers to put on fallen soldier's graves. Everybody around town had one pinned on for a day or two. The day itself was always marked by we scouts, vet organizations, civic groups, etc. parading through town to the cemetery for a somber ceremony and then the putting out of the flags and wreaths. Afterwards in the afternoon came the picnics, sure, but they weren't times of wild revelry for the event in the morning caused a lot of introspection.

"In Flanders Fields a poppy grows..."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every year our Scout Troop helps fill, place and light over 23,000 luminaries for the soldiers killed at Antietam. Google "Pictures of luminaries at Antietam". For those within driving distance it's something to see. This year the event is on Dec. 5th. Anyone interested in going, I'm all for it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Been to it many times, Joe. It takes your breath away. Even little kids sit still in the car and watch with awe.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Being from the west coast I have only been to Antietam once. I spent the better part of a day there walking the battle ground and trying in my small and insignificant way to put my mind into it. The luminaries sound breath taking and an amazing way to express the terrible toll that political differences can wrack upon the people.

PS - just did some fast research on the CMP site. The M1 carbine guys mentioned Memorial Day, but got tangled up in the same Veterans Day confusion. The M1 Garand guys spent their thread coveting 1903s and M1s that were observed in an honor guard. Everyone else was a now show.

Last edited by S99VG; 05/27/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.