Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You may find this helpful. I have no experience with them, but plan to order one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...nd-steel-parkerized?cm_vc=ProductFinding

It's an adjustable gas plug which allows tuning so that you can safely shoot regular ammo in your M1. I plan to get one for a couple of my M1s in order to simplify my '06 reloading and be able to use the same 180 grain load in multiple rifles.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't feel handicapped at all using a MI Garand to hunt deer other than packing it around . Good 165 gr bullet and IMR 4895 should work well.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You may find this helpful. I have no experience with them, but plan to order one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...nd-steel-parkerized?cm_vc=ProductFinding

It's an adjustable gas plug which allows tuning so that you can safely shoot regular ammo in your M1. I plan to get one for a couple of my M1s in order to simplify my '06 reloading and be able to use the same 180 grain load in multiple rifles.

I like this plug mo' better.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M1 Garand makes a great dear rifle, as long as you can put up with the weight. My #2 son shot my Garand for several years, and killed a lot of whitetails.

[Linked Image]

My recipe for the Garand was H4895 under a 150 grain Hornady SP. The Garand is fairly easy to load for. The trick is to stay away from very slow powders and very big bullets. Staying to the middle of the road will keep the op rod from bending.

Besides weight, the one other problem I had with the Garand was the fact that was tricky to load with just a few rounds. I got some 5-round en-blocs for Moose. That seemed to solve the problem.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It may be hard to export to Europe, but (I believe its called) a Holbrook device would help. You replace the Op-rod catch with it, and it will not eject the clip. You simply push a clip in and then load it from there. The bolt will stay open on the last round and all, but you have to manually eject the clip itself.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok guys ... I admit it ... I've not been strong enough ... I went to the gunshop today and made a deal with the gunsmith ... will have the gun at home within a few days :p Hope it's gonna roll some wild boar on thé battle of the bulge's ground very soon smile

This gonna be a divorce présent to myself smile

Last edited by grand_veneur; 05/27/15.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

Some things you must do:

Keep us up to date on your progress with the rifle.
You should really check out the CMP website for info on it.
If I can be of any help, please ask.

I would pee myself all day long getting to hunt the Ardennes (or its surrounding area) with a WWII Garand, I envy you.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I never thought of such a thing until you mentioned it, but that would be a totally outstanding hunt. My goodness!

Last edited by pabucktail; 05/27/15.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It may be hard to export to Europe, but (I believe its called) a Holbrook device would help. You replace the Op-rod catch with it, and it will not eject the clip. You simply push a clip in and then load it from there. The bolt will stay open on the last round and all, but you have to manually eject the clip itself.

John use to post on the culver's shooting pages forum, the device works.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That enfield in the picture in the rack, is cocked, you can tell from the butt of the reciever.
The main issue in the garand is the pressure curve, which 4895 or 4064, are in the range it likes to operate at without blowing the op rod. That relief cut on the rod was put in mostly because of firing rifle gernades. You can buy the after market pressure values which helps, but keep in mind these were designed to push a 150grain bullet at approx 2750fps. With a powder as described above.
I have more than one garand, some with national match sights, and also in .308. While the military standard acceptability group at 100 yards is rather generous given standards today, they can fire quite acceptable groups. And i know of a number of elk/deer taken in my area with them. For that matter i have had now deceased friends telling me of shooting european deer for food in WWII and that was with full metal jacket ammo.
The enfield could or could not be a good shooter subject to barrel wear.
A friend of mine in bavaria who is/was a sniper in the german army shoots a lot of high power in competition. Interesting enough, he says they prefer the model of 1917, or the enfield, to the K98 mauser feeling they shoot better.
I would be curious too to know whats in that garand, part wise.
a few years ago i bought a springfield that had way to high a serial number, and had other markings on the butt of the reciever that springfield didn't do. It had ALL pre war parts in it. Finally from a guy who's collection was used for a lot of the reference books on garands, after wanting to buy it, told me it was a prewar springfield that ended up in italy. We did ship the winchester equipment to beretta after the war, and they were used in the italian army at one time. And it was beretta supplying parts to the danes who used them after the war. That rifle could have a LOT of valuable parts in it, so be sure to chase it down at some point.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Congrats.

Some things you must do:

Keep us up to date on your progress with the rifle.
You should really check out the CMP website for info on it.
If I can be of any help, please ask.

I would pee myself all day long getting to hunt the Ardennes (or its surrounding area) with a WWII Garand, I envy you.

I would too, not so much if the deer had mausers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have shot everything from gophers to elk with the Garand. It works well with Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt bullets. I found mine will shoot them to the same POI as my ball ammo, so I don't have need to adjust sights for different ammo. Anyone that tells you that need premium bullets is wasting your time and money.

Loaded with IMR-4895, it works perfectly and will shoot the 150 grain bullet to about 2750, which is all you need from the Garand. Slower powders are not good for the Garand and the operating rod, as it will build up too much port pressure and can bend the operating rod...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 05/28/15.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice bit of history there, Shrapnel.

I'm going down to the CMP to build one in two weeks, will have to see how the finished product turns out.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought one for my dad last Christmas and shrap's advice about the H4895 and 150's was dead nuts. Thing shot great with Hornady SP's.

They're not as heavy as people think they are. Unless your every day rifle is a true lightweight.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's not surprising about H4895 and 150's, since the original 4895 made by DuPont was designed specifically for the Garand's M2 service load with a 152-grain bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the book "of Bench and Bears" Judge Folta used one to hunt Alaska Brown Bears with and didn't get et. Muddy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Hi Guys.

Been out for a long time, divorcing is a pretty harrassing and time devouring business (but now it's just business)

Been to the gunshop yesterday on my way to a friend's home and spotted some WWII rifles in very good condition. One is a strange "US Gov Property" N°4 MK1 Lee Enfield and the other 1 a M1 Garand.

What do you think about using one of those for hunting, mostly for the drives ?

I've heard the Garand require only very specific loads ??? Could not load it with modern powder and Barnes bullets ?

I never used those peep sight, on of my friends did in the military and doesn't like them for fast moving targets. I think I could manage it from the tests I made in the shop but would have some experienced hunting advices with such sights.

Thanks for reading.

Get them both.

The Lee-Enfield is a Savage Arms Co. rifle made in the US and given/sold to the Brits under lend/lease. They shoot well. The Garand, of course, is a Garand.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady 150 gr. spire points work real well in my Garand in front of 49.5 gr. of IMR-4064 in civilian brass. Velocity runs an average of 2760 fps. with an E.S. of 35.2 fps. which is right in the ball park for what a 150 gr. bullet should be doing out of an M-1; as someone already mentioned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And now you can mount an IER scope overbore.

http://ultimak.com/BuyM1Garand.htm

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.