Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hunting after 12pm here in PA is a relatively new thing, Im wondering what kind of techniques you guys use to hunt gobblers after 12? Seems like patterning is the predominant game plan here in PA.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think that works pretty good, but unless the law has changed calling is the only legal method for hunting in the spring..

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Calling only here in PA, but I know that out flanking and trying to get in front of them happens as well, Im guessing if you cluck a few times that meets the requirement. I know Ive called in birds after getting them gobbling and then shutting up, its been upto an hour before the bird came in.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That would work.. And it does work..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Apparition
Calling only here in PA, but I know that out flanking and trying to get in front of them happens as well, Im guessing if you cluck a few times that meets the requirement. I know Ive called in birds after getting them gobbling and then shutting up, its been upto an hour before the bird came in.

I doubt anyone would be violating the game laws if they're calling a bird that's moving, and the hunter is moving to get in front of it, uphill from it, or otherwise attempting to position for a better chance at getting the gobbler within range. I'd have to check to be sure, but I don't think the law stipulates that the hunter must stay in a single position the entire time he's working a gobbler.

What is prohibited is stalking. The so-called "fanning" technique is clearly illegal in PA, and one of these days not too far off some hunter is going to get shot doing it, in PA or elsewhere. I'd like to see that illegal everywhere.

In most cases there are too many variables to make grounds for an arrest clear when a hunter is moving on a bird. Suppose a hunter is calling, gives up, and moves. Then the same gobbler sounds off closeby, the hunter yelps back, and in seconds the turkey shows up within range. It would be hard to make the case that the hunter is stalking the turkey.

On one of the gobblers I shot this year, two came in but didn't offer a shot. After they left I had to move to the other side of the tree. I called them back and shot one. Nothing illegal or unsportsmanlike about that. Could just as easily moved to a different tree 50 yards away and nothing would have been wrong with it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've called in about as many birds in the evening as I have in the morning. Birds that are henned up in the morning will often come in nicely in the evening.

Typically birds are quiet in the evening, but if you are where the birds are you don't need gobbles.

I recall when season where I killed 2 birds and only heard 1 gobble the entire time I hunted.

People get too discouraged when they don't hear a gobble. Don't mean nothing to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Apparition

I doubt anyone would be violating the game laws if they're calling a bird that's moving, and the hunter is moving to get in front of it, uphill from it, or otherwise attempting to position for a better chance at getting the gobbler within range. I'd have to check to be sure, but I don't think the law stipulates that the hunter must stay in a single position the entire time he's working a gobbler.

What is prohibited is stalking. The so-called "fanning" technique is clearly illegal in PA, and one of these days not too far off some hunter is going to get shot doing it, in PA or elsewhere. I'd like to see that illegal everywhere.

In most cases there are too many variables to make grounds for an arrest clear when a hunter is moving on a bird. Suppose a hunter is calling, gives up, and moves. Then the same gobbler sounds off closeby, the hunter yelps back, and in seconds the turkey shows up within range. It would be hard to make the case that the hunter is stalking the turkey.

On one of the gobblers I shot this year, two came in but didn't offer a shot. After they left I had to move to the other side of the tree. I called them back and shot one. Nothing illegal or unsportsmanlike about that. Could just as easily moved to a different tree 50 yards away and nothing would have been wrong with it.

Steve.

PA continues to have F'KED up game laws.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"PA continues to have F'KED up game laws." You are so right. How about no Sunday hunting and no semi auto rifles allowed? I could care less re: the semi auto rifle ban for hunting, but it's still a dumb law.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here in Missouri the spring hunt only goes to 1:00 pm. that being said however they do allow hunting all day for the youth only portion of the spring hunt which is usually a week or two before the regular spring season. a couple of years ago on my middle son's last youth hunt (he was going to turn 16 after that and no longer eligible) we called in a nice tom in the late afternoon just before sunset. he came in from about 200 yards out and came in full strut. my son got the whole show.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wish I could help you more. It's very complicated.

Here are the Pa., regs:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2

I have hunted my fair share of turkeys> In fact I have them in my yard regularly.

You didn't particularly specify spring or fall but I will draw distinctions.

Spring:

Mating season. Lovesick gobblers. Called with various devices. The major concern is location, terrain, availability, heavily wooded, some open meadow. In wooded areas it's one step next to impossible to succeed. They are too smart. Eyesight too good. Farmers fields are absolutely loaded then when corn or grain is available. They like to eat. I've seen over a hundred in a field. The trick is to get the farmers permission and NOT shoot his cattle.

In some areas people feed them. They become acclimated and unafraid. In fact there are cases of them attacking, roosting on roof tops and cars. Some Towns have them walking in the streets in great flocks, as many as 30 birds.

How to hunt. Pick a good spot and wait. Pre-scouting is essential. They don't tell time.

Fall hunting:

After the breeding season the gobblers group up as do the hens/jennys. Again location is all important. The technique is to "bust" the flock, spread them out. They soon begin calling to re-group. Chase down individuals. It's really tough to get close. Some use dogs. Hide them in a sack until time to "bust" the flock. They are smart and certainly a challenge.

I have often seen flocks of gobblers in the winter, out of season, completely unafraid of me, 50 feet away, so long as I was in my vehicle moving slowly and even stopped but just step out and its adios.

Just another tip. Turkey guides. They are successful, and it seems that as usual most have the best terrain locked up, with owner agreements, and inaccessible to the average Joe.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 06/20/15.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Addendum:

Another aspect that I neglected to mention:

Turkeys roost in trees. Towards dusk they begin to fly up, scattering in trees close together. At the break of dawn they fly down.

The hunter should locate the roosting trees and be out near them early in the morning while it is still dark. *(Remember the moon phases too, dark and light ).

After they fly down, in breeding season, the gobblers are on the lookout for mates, calling and fighting off competition. But the battles are very mild and consist of a little bit of pecking. Each gobbler seems to have his own personality, some respond to hunters calls and some may not or may answer and clam up. Too much calling is very detrimental and counter productive. There is quite a variety of calls. It take practice, practice, practice.

During the day the mating and gobbling can be most any time. They will gobble and mate in the afternoon. But near dusk the show is over until the next day.

Locating roosting trees works in the spring and fall.

Calling only works in the spring.

Sitting meadows that turkeys frequent can work in both seasons.

Busting the flock only works in the fall.

Baiting is generally prohibited so far as I know.

Using a rifle is prohibited in some states but I don't know where it is allowed.

Probably most states won't allow shooting within a certain distance of houses or roads.

In some residential areas where hunting is banned the turkeys proliferate in great numbers, but they are inaccessible.

Turkeys are not really migratory. They generally stay around close to a given area and the same birds are seen repeatedly.

If a roosting tree is excessively disturbed they will discontinue using it, but they don't normally move very far away.

As far as feeding them close to home, they are browsers constantly moving. They will eat over 300 items of food. They will pick corn, and bird seed on the patio right up to the door. But there are days they pass it by and ignore it. They do become acclimatized and feel safe. They will dust right up against the house wall where convenient. But once the dusting is over they are on the move again.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 06/21/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.