Print Thread
Hop To
L
LONEOAK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Range trip yesterday confirmed my eyesight isn't improving and the small sights on a couple compact pistols are difficult to acquire rapidly. I want to paint the front sight blades either white or flare orange to help with this (I hope!). The reviews I saw on commercial sight paints varied widely. Can anyone recommend paint that will apply easily and last?

Life - and the good sense to live it!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Testors model paints. WalMart carries them as well as any hobby shop. You can try all of the colors out for a little money and figure out which one suits your vision the best.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have fiber optic front sights on several pistols and they do it for me and my old eyes.
Worth the investment

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Testors model paints. WalMart carries them as well as any hobby shop. You can try all of the colors out for a little money and figure out which one suits your vision the best.

Ed

I think that's what I use. Is that the stuff that comes in the pens? If so...it works really well. A black front sight against a black hog at dusk ain't worth a crap.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't see testors in pens, but what we call the pipe painting or marking paint sticks is what I see in pens, in welding and auto supply places.

It sticks pretty good too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I believe the pens might be Dykem Brite Mark Markers. Amazon has then if you cannot find then locally. They are made for marking steel and stay put not wiping off unlike many sight paints being sold. I would start with black for the rear sight and a small white strip down the center of the front sight.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The model paint in your color of choice (I like orange) mixed with some 5 minute epoxy works well and is quit durable.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fluorescent colors on fingernail paints work well and last pretty good as well.

I used sight black aerosol and even had a sight black burner when I shot police combat competition. My eyes were much better back then, though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
LONEOAK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks to all for the response. Some good ideas advanced that will keep me away from the iffy sight paint sets I found when looking for a solution.

Life - and the good sense to live it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use model paint (Tamiya, I think) and then throw some lacquer (or fingernail polish) on it to seal it. I've been using bright yellow or white on my handguns and rifles and so far so good...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had much luck with any paint including model paint. Never there when I expected it, would find it in the holster. Went with an old fashioned colored Plexiglas insert (OLD Brownell's kit) on My Kel-Tec P-11 in plain yellow. Picks up really well. Actually the insert isn't dovetailed in, it's a thin piece of the insert material eopxied to the sight but thick enough to pick up some light.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.