Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reasonably accurate....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree that with low cost AR's, they're more performance for the buck than the Mini.

But, the Mini can shine, just takes a few bucks.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Come shoot the 24HC challenge match in the AR forum! You been posting pictures of this gun for years, let's see how it does against a cheap chromed AR15 barrel. 10 shots on two targets at 100 yards averaged.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Reasonably accurate....

two to three inches at 100 yards, with a dot sight, rapid fire. I'd call that adequate. I am not a paper puncher like you Jeff. smile

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would agree with all the above, except to say the new 14's are a lot better than the early ones.
but in reality as much as i like ruger reverse engineering the garand and the carbine into the mini, the a.r. is so much a better deal from a cost/performance,reliability standpoint, it's not even close.
Even the mags you can get now for the mini, ruger didn't like hi cap, are a lot more expensive than for the poodle shooter.

I tried to talk a friend out of one, suggesting the plastic gun, he wanted the ruger cause he thought it looked less threatening. Okay. So he buys a tacticool ruger.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/28/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i can remember firing some of the early mini's and the sights falling off.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAKO75
if youve owned one or shot one id liek to hear your experiences with it.... considering adding one to my arsenal or an AR

grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pira114
I've never had good luck with them. Either being accurate or standing up to high round counts. But it's been almost 20 years since I've used one. With today's ARs and prices, I'd get one of those instead.

This

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sick I've had 2. The last one was a Ranch Rifle. Both were inaccurate. I could get better groups with my AK at 100yds. Won't ever own another unless I get one DIRT cheap..

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have only owned one 14, that was enough.. I did go to an AR, seldom shoot it.. But when I do, I can hit something..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree that with low cost AR's, they're more performance for the buck than the Mini.

But, the Mini can shine, just takes a few bucks.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Come shoot the 24HC challenge match in the AR forum! You been posting pictures of this gun for years, let's see how it does against a cheap chromed AR15 barrel. 10 shots on two targets at 100 yards averaged.

laugh

Didn't realize anyone was paying attention... grin

It's the nut behind the trigger that well may be the limiting factor... blush

You guys would make me look bad... shocked

An ole fart can take just so much humiliation... cry

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Automotive equivalent of a tricked out Mini-14:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No one complimented Mathman and me on our taste in cool rides... cool

All you guys can talk about is guns... shocked

What's the deal...??

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/28/15.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
To me, an AR is like a small block Chevy, bolt-on parts. The mini is just what it says, a mini Garand(M14). I just love the way they work. Maybe I'm old school.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
To me, an AR is like a small block Chevy, bolt-on parts. The mini is just what it says, a mini Garand(M14). I just love the way they work. Maybe I'm old school.

When I bring up that subject, all I hear is Old Fart... wink

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To me the attraction of the Mini-14 is the Garand (mini) action. You can have Accuracy Systems Incorporated accurize them to the point where they are as accurate as an AR, but at a price. The box-stock mini's today are a lot more accurate than the older models. I think the current production ones will average 2-3" at 100 yards whereas the earlier ones were about "minute of pie plate".

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Had a mini. And that's what you will hear most folks say, "had".

Get an AR. They are simply better in all critical ways, can be cheaper, and are infinitely more modifiable.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
If you want to roll up in a cheesy van and jump out and shoot a hundred rounds without hitting anything, then a Mini-14 is for you.

I pity the fool who didn't think that Van was cool.!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RobJordan
To me the attraction of the Mini-14 is the Garand (mini) action. You can have Accuracy Systems Incorporated accurize them to the point where they are as accurate as an AR, but at a price. The box-stock mini's today are a lot more accurate than the older models. I think the current production ones will average 2-3" at 100 yards whereas the earlier ones were about "minute of pie plate".

Jordan

That's who worked on the one I posted. My ranch hands had carried this Ranch Rifle in a pickup for years, shooting coyotes and other pests. When I got it back, it was toast. So, I didn't figure it had worth, had been fully "depreciated" if you will. So, what I spent with Accuracy Systems wasn't added to the cost of a Ranch Rifle. If one adds all that together, the ASI enhanced Ranch Rifle is way too expensive and AR's would be much better values.

I sorta like the way the Mini handles. Although I have some AR's, I've never warmed up to the pistol grip arrangement, to me they feel sorta clunky. The Mini handles, at least for me, more like a conventional rifle. I probably use my AR's more, as they're less bulky and shorter than this rifle, which makes them better truck guns. For shooting at PD's or such, this one would be nice. Just don't have PD's here in LA to shoot.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by rost495
Reasonably accurate....

two to three inches at 100 yards, with a dot sight, rapid fire. I'd call that adequate. I am not a paper puncher like you Jeff. smile

Thats really not bad accuracy overall. I"m not at all happy with that, but in reality you can do a lot out to 200 easy with 3 inches at 100. As long as its pretty consistent.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first fix to a Mini's accuracy is to fix the buttplate - if yours is one of the ones with the slick plastic plate. The same ones are found on the original .44 mag carbines, and the 10/22. I've found they slip all over my shoulder during firing, especially on the .44 carbine, which had moderate recoil. I glued some rubber to the plate, which helped a lot, and was a five dollar fix.

My mini is one of the original 180 series, and it's an orphan - nobody has any stocks or parts for them. If you have one of the later models, you can get the Ranch Rifle stock, which have decent rubber plates, or a plethora of aftermarket stocks.

Also note the Mini originally had a 1 in 10" twist, so if you have one, forget about heavy bullets.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a Mini 14 GB Model 182 series for many years. When I do my part, it'll consistently shoot 2" at 100 yards. That is with PMC FMJ, Win. FMJ, and Win. 55 grains PSP. That's close enough for me.

As for spraying-'n-praying 200/300 rounds at a time, I've not done that but it's consistently reliable with 20 round Ruger magazines. I'm not looking to do any "crowd control" nor "zombie" duties with it.

I've killed a couple of coyotes, ground squirrels, jack rabbits with it with no problems.

As they say, "Close enough for government work." grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.