24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Gent, maybe I am just getting old, but the original M16 just looks "right" to me..

I did see a link to an AR with what looked like wooden furniture and a case hardened receiver; far from being classy it looked like something Saddams sons would have owned!

Regards,

Peter

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SAKO75
if youve owned one or shot one id liek to hear your experiences with it.... considering adding one to my arsenal or an AR

Not having read any of the posts yet, I'd say the mini-14 is the rich mans play thing. I can buy a decent used AR cheaper than a decent used mini-14. I'd bet the used AR is going to shoot a lot better than the used mini-14. New prices, you've got to be kidding me. Who is paying that much for a mini-14?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Pete E
Thanks Gent, maybe I am just getting old, but the original M16 just looks "right" to me..

I did see a link to an AR with what looked like wooden furniture and a case hardened receiver; far from being classy it looked like something Saddams sons would have owned!

Regards,

Peter

Yes sir,
If I'm not mistaken, I think Turnbull did that piece.

Sorta like putting gold detailing on a commode.

But, to each his own.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I used both types of rifles in the Marines. I prefer the traditional walnut stock and operation of the M-14 type action. That's why I own the Ruger.

That's why I bought an M1A.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When a mini runs, it usually ruins well. I had to send an older mini in to ruger for extraction issues. They replaced the bolt and it has been fine. I had to send a new mini in for ejection issues. I believe they replaced the bolt on that one as well and it has been fine.

The firing pins are reputed to be less than durable on the mini 30 when using steel cased ammo, and it is a factory fitted part. I had ruger fit an extra firing pin to my newer mini when it was in for the ejection issues and they did it gratis.

Lots of folks claim ruger QC has been in the toilet for a while. I don't know about that as I have bought a few Rugers lately and the mini has been the only problem I have had.

Just like anything, if you recognize and respect the limitations of the platform you will be happy. If you insist on comparing the bench rest accuracy to an AR, which just happens to be one of the most accurate platforms period, you will be disappointed.

I used mine for a number of years as an actual 'ranch rifle'. The only trouble I had out if it in that role was the rough action destroyed a cheap scope I threw on there that I took off a rifle I traded I to. Mount something a little bit better and it was good to go.

The bottom line is this. If you are not wed to/attracted to the action and ergos of the mini, there is no reason to get one. If you are attracted to and like AR's, there is no reason to get a mini. However, if you like the feel and action of the mini, you will be happy with it as long as your accuracy expectations are in line with reality. It is a great woods bumming/camping gun.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Loosen all the gas block screws, then retighten them evenly in an alternating pattern. That makes them more accurate right from the start.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The mini was never intended to be a battle rifle.

well actually they were, sort of. many were sold to law enforcement, and i know they were sold into south america as select fire versions. I could have bought a select fire mini for about 3k a number of years ago, probably should of, but i was laughing too hard.

I still don't think the original was ever intended as a battle rifle. Some police agencies and smaller militaries tried to make it work as a cheaper alternative with less than stellar results.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500

The bottom line is this. If you are not wed to/attracted to the action and ergos of the mini, there is no reason to get one. If you are attracted to and like AR's, there is no reason to get a mini. However, if you like the feel and action of the mini, you will be happy with it as long as your accuracy expectations are in line with reality. It is a great woods bumming/camping gun.

good summary. In way, they are like some unusual rifle calibers, like say a .308 Norma mag. You probably won't go out of your way to acquire one, but if you run across one at a good price, it's perfectly usable, within its limits.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pete, I agree.
The A-2 was too heavy and ruined the liveliness of the platform.
The M-4 is too short and the fast twist makes it less devastating. M16-A1 might have been (combat) perfection for the platform.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/28/15.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shown this rifle here before, bought 10 yrs ago off a TX State Trooper heading to help out in NO, LA after Katrina. Love it for what it is, and fun to shoot. 181 series (1979), museum pristine, flawless walnut stock, metal buttplate, A2 flash hider. Shoots pretty damn good. Cost me $500. I maybe have $650-700 in it with magazines, VTAC sling, and bug out bag with 300 rds of 5.56.

I can heavily arm a family member, friend, neighbor just by handing them a bag with a carry handle and shoulder sling or pushing it over a fence. Shoots 5.56 just like everybody else's on the planet (and .223) all day long. What's not to like??

[Linked Image]

Gordon Kahl and murderers of FBI guys in FL knew they had something viable.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me, if the Mini was more reliable and accurate (on average), and offered at at much more reasonable price, I'd probably have one.

But it would never be a replacement for my ARs.

The deal breaker in my book is the mag release and safety. Don't believe you can train enough to be faster than an AR. Remember, we're talking about it trying to replace a combat weapon.

I do like how they look. That's about it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mag release and mag lock in is ok but certainly is not as quick as an AR, not that it matters for most uses. The safety is superb and I don't see how it is a barrier to performance in any way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't shoot at coyotes out the drivers side door unless you are ready to buy a new windshield.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own a Mini-14 that I bought about 20 years ago. It's not very accurate because I've never put any extra money into it. I get 3"-4" groups at 100 yards with an occasional flyer that could be 8" from the center. It's my poor man's excuse for an assault rifle in a SHTF scenario.

I admit that I am M16-phobic because I used one in Southeast Asia and I still have nightmares about that POS jamming at the worst possible time. I will never buy anything that resembles that garbage gun or anything in the AR family.

The Mini-14 will work just fine in a close quarter combat situation where all you do is point and pull the trigger. They are simple, field strippable and more reliable than an M16. FWIW I understand that the new ones are more accurate than my 20 year old version.

When I need something more accurate, I go to a bolt action.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used both types of rifles in the Marines. I prefer the traditional walnut stock and operation of the M-14 type action. That's why I own the Ruger.

You were issued a Mini will on active duty in the Corps ?????

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Think he's referring to the Garand action generally.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The Mini-14 is not an M14 by a LONG shot.

Why did you quote me in your captain obvious response?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

I own a Mini-14 that I bought about 20 years ago. It's not very accurate because I've never put any extra money into it. I get 3"-4" groups at 100 yards with an occasional flyer that could be 8" from the center. It's my poor man's excuse for an assault rifle in a SHTF scenario.

I admit that I am M16-phobic because I used one in Southeast Asia and I still have nightmares about that POS jamming at the worst possible time. I will never buy anything that resembles that garbage gun or anything in the AR family.

The Mini-14 will work just fine in a close quarter combat situation where all you do is point and pull the trigger. They are simple, field strippable and more reliable than an M16. FWIW I understand that the new ones are more accurate than my 20 year old version.

When I need something more accurate, I go to a bolt action.

KC

KC, I hear you, sir.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The Mini-14 is not an M14 by a LONG shot.

Why did you quote me in your captain obvious response?

I think people are reading your posts as saying the Corps issued you a Mini 14

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Don't shoot at coyotes out the drivers side door unless you are ready to buy a new windshield.

I've not broken a window yet, but I have learned to lean out far enough the brass exits the truck, if possible. Some of the most fun I have ever had with a rifle was right after I got my first mini dialed in and went down to our small farm rock quarry with a case of super cheap PMC M193 ball. Fun times exploding rocks with a 40 round PMI mag.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.