Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story.
The old line about you can run but you will only die tired. If you tried to run you would be a grease spot on the ground, so your only choice is to stand and fire is so true in this case. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is funny how stories change over time, both over repeated telling as well as in our own minds.
I thought Don said he was teaching a group of aspiring PH's elephant behavior in a National Park when the incident happened. He was intentionally "pushing" the elephant to illustrate their behavior when it decided not to play and Don let it get close enough that when he finally decided he had to kill it the momentum of the charge brought it close enough that one of the tusks broke Don's arm.

And I understand the Park officials were none too pleased.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Someone who will remain unnamed because I can't remember who it was - REALLY - told me that the most effective thing to do if charged by an elephant was to wait until he/she was at twelve feet and if still coming jump behind the huge pile of feces behind you. Of course we all know the punch line - I ask4ed how he knew that there would be a LARGE pile of feces behind me. He assured me that if that circumstances were as described the feces would be there!

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting Jim in Idaho!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 458Win

Perhaps they would have preferred the elephant hammered a bunch or unarmed tourists? Seems you just can't please some people! Often these people are bureaucrats.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I see he had a handgun on his hip. Does anyone know what make and caliber it was?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Having seen the photograph previously; learning that Heath used a .416 Rem. ruined several of my fantasies about me and my 9.3X62.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been quietly enjoying this thread and the pictures for several days, but I have steadily begun to feel a great disturbance in the force. Something is very wrong here and apparently it's up to me to correct it:

WDM Bell killed a bunch of elephants with a 7x57...

There, balance has been restored. Carry on with the current discussion about Don Heath and his elephant...

David

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Having seen the photograph previously; learning that Heath used a .416 Rem. ruined several of my fantasies about me and my 9.3X62.

If you look at the post above with the email I received from him, he states that he used his 9.3X62 with Norma solids.

Ted

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I heard the elephant was behind on child support and was none to keen to spend easter weekend in jail.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is the idea that first spawned and hatched in my mind while in my single-digits: that a man with the rifle was a courageous and competent man, and that he and his intimate tool would act as one to perform acts of necessary force. This story exemplifies that idea. For me, hunting is still about gathering food, and also fits the narrative.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thank you, my faith in the gospel of the 9.3X62 has been restored.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I see he had a handgun on his hip. Does anyone know what make and caliber it was?

I think Dan said he carries a properly stoked 357. I do know he is pretty handy with a pistol as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by husqvarna

I was about to ask why the rifle recoiled so hard if it was a 9.3x62...My 9.3x64 is more powerful than the 62mm version and I don't experience nearly that much recoil.

A .416 would definitely explain the bent knee and high muzzle angle.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As would shooting up at an elephant's head. The bent knee looks like he may be starting to try to step to the side as the bull starts falling.

Don also isn't a big man, and the angle of muzzle looks like its around the top of the elephant's head. A 9.3x62 doesn't kick a vast amount, but it kicks enough to raise the muzzle some, exactly how much depending on the stock, load, etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 458Win
It is funny how stories change over time, both over repeated telling as well as in our own minds.
I thought Don said he was teaching a group of aspiring PH's elephant behavior in a National Park when the incident happened. He was intentionally "pushing" the elephant to illustrate their behavior when it decided not to play and Don let it get close enough that when he finally decided he had to kill it the momentum of the charge brought it close enough that one of the tusks broke Don's arm.

Versions of this intention action are floating around. The salient point is that shooting an Elephant wasn't the intent. It became a neccesity. At two meters I suspect that a head on Brain shot from a 9.3x62 or a forty caliber solid bullet would work equally well. But a forty caliber would be more comforting in any unexpected and unpredictable life and death situation.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 05/28/15.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
just learnt today that Don passed away.

Rest in Peace.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seriously? damn that sucks

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Illness or injury?
Obit?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
yukonphil,

That news is a real shocker. Any details?

Last saw Don at SCI maybe 2-3 years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 32 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.