Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
RJY66, you don't say where you are, but I seriously doubt that your location is any more wet or hot than Florida. Snake boots that are NOT waterproof are, for me, a waste of money, since virtually everyplace I hunt, hike and camp is surrounded by puddles, creeks, lakes and swamps.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/26/15.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by remrug77
Me and a friend go turkey hunting in Western Md.I came across a diamond back a few years back.

If you came across a Diamondback in Maryland, you'd better get snake boots, chaps, and a tin foil hat.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I hunt in the SC low country for deer starting in August, though I don't usually get serious till mid September. It is not hotter than Florida but hot enough that I cannot deal with lined boots. My feet will be either be wet from sweat or wet from water coming from the outside and without the lining my feet can at least breathe.....and no, I do not have to walk through water as a rule where I hunt.

I am a hot natured person and that is why I told the guy that "his mileage may vary" because we are all different and conditions are different. The guy asked for "experiences" and I gave him mine.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Me and a friend go turkey hunting in Western Md.I came across a diamond back a few years back.

If you came across a Diamondback in Maryland, you'd better get snake boots, chaps, and a tin foil hat.

hehehe, just what are you trying to say?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have Irish Setter (Redwing) snake boots.

Do not wear them a much as I should.
Cannot say how good they are cause have never been bitten.

Saw a recall by Rocky for their Silent Hunter snake boots because they failed a bite test

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
6" stove pipe

Ha! No joke, I had a buddy that used to go Rattler hunting, made himself a set of medieval armour looking leggings, complete with hinged foot guard out of stove pipe!
He and his cousin would head to the foothills and hunt the Chinese rock walls/fences.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I stand corrected.....was a timber rattler....tin foil not needed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
justin ropers

[Linked Image]

Roger is tougher than the rest of us! I only get within 12 ga range of Rattlers, and that's as close as I'm gonna get.

In my experience, the really big ones, say 5 feet or more in length are the most agressive!
Couple of years ago I had real 6 footer chase me out of the barn. Bastards are hard to hit with a Glock 32 while running backwards! I guarantee he had muzzle and powder burns!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Several of the guys around here that work and play in wet, snaky areas wear jungle boots plus either gaiters or chaps. The idea being your feet are going to get wet anyway, so wear something that fits and lets the water out. Switch to rubber knee or hip boots in winter.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wife picked up a live coral snake the other day to keep for me, then realized while I was coming back from a fire call I got an ems page for CPR, and a medivac flight so she didn't want it to escape in the meantime so she took a rock and made it a permanent resident.

I asked her when I got home, you sure that was ok? Yep, had my leather gloves on and they only chew mostly, instead of fangs, I wouldn't have grabbed a cottonmouth or copperhead unless I'd have had a snake stick..

Ok then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're afeared of snakes, you be better off staying at the house, cause you're going to be looking more for snakes and nothing else..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Boots for snakes, what'll they think of, next? grin

I've never seen a snake wearing boots. It's hard for them to do, since they don't have feets! laugh

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm sure he meant rattler. Right?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, he fixt it. He meant Timber rattler.

I kinda zinged that one in because all types of snakes are the most mis-identified creatures. I wish I had a nickel for every harmless snake I saw killed cause somebody thought it was a rattler, moccasin, or copperhead.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we have copperheadedrattlemockassins. Worst of the bunch.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think snakes need boots. They don't even have feet. ... just sayin'.

I had a pair of snake boots for a while, a sort of Wellington design. I would warn you against them if I could remember what brand they were. I have size 9 feet. I bought size 10 boots. They were not big enough ... fine once I got them on but the ankles were too tight and I couldn't slide my feet into them someetimes.

I would look at either the zip-up boots or at gaiters.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Would a regular pair , of say red wing steel toe works boots stop a snake bite?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Would a regular pair , of say red wing steel toe works boots stop a snake bite?

Would stop a snake bite on the toe.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.