Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thought I'd report the bows I've been through in the last several months and what I've settled on. The purpose of the bow is western hunting with long range shots a potential. All bows were shot hundreds of times with a loaded Tightspot quiver, ready to hunt. Speed is in the same ballpark and not enough difference to consider (except maybe the E35, it was the slowest by about 10 fps). Listed in order of preference. Hard for even me to believe.....

1 - PSE Decree HD (35" hybrid). My favorite by far. Pin float is rock solid and gets even better with a tightspot quiver. It shows in the groups, which are significantly better than any of the other bows. 50 yard groups are approximately 4 inches.

2 - Bowtech Destroyer 340 (32" dual cam). This bow has been out of production for several years. It is a bit of a mystery in that I don't shoot it any better than the other bows at shorter distances but playing around from 50 - 100 yards it really shines and outperforms the others, bettered only by the Decree HD. I love it and would have no trouble if I had to use it.

3 - Elite E35 (35" binary). Without a quiver it was in the same class as the Decree HD but with the quiver I never could get it to balance right and pin float greatly increased. It showed on the target too, often got fliers.

4 - Bowtech Experience (32" dual cam) - I like everything about this bow except the fact that I could not settle down the pin. Can't group it at longer ranges.

5 - Hoyt Nitrum (30" hybrid) - To be fair this was the only 30" bow but I couldnt stand it. I couldnt settle down the pin and the cams were always on go. It felt like it was always about to jump out of my hand. The only bow I really disliked.

A few items of note.

If you're going to shoot a lot and experiment with different bows, you must be able to work on them. A bow press and learning the fundamentals of setup and tuning is a necessity.

Draw length - its common for the draw length to not run true. Bowtech and PSE have this whipped with the adjustable mods. Also, the adjustable mods make resale soooo much easier. I realize these cams are not as efficient as other systems but the difference is only slight and the benefits far outweigh the insignificant (to me) decrease in efficiency.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You forgot one bow....Obsession. The decree HD can't keep pace with the Addiction OBB. Neither can the E35. The fusions, Delta, Evolution and Phoenix will also trump anything in their spec range

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I would love to try the Addiction. Unfortunately the shortest draw is 28" and I am 27.5".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last PSE I owned was a Vector II......comparing 35" bows with 30" bows is an apples and oranges comparison. As long as your happy with your decision, that is all that matters. I think most all of the manufacturers are producing quality products that will last for years.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
578 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.