Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So got to play with a Ruger Match Champion last night after work...the one with the fixed sights...SWEET revolver.

On the negative side, the concept is only about 40-50 years overdue (semi auto style drift in fixed sights on a "service" revolver). When I was a dumb teenager who didn't know squat about guns, that was one of my first observations when looking at a 4" S&W model 13; "why are the sights to small on a combat revolver? Why don't they do sights like a semi-auto pistol?". I can recall saying exactly that when I went to get my very first handgun at age 16 (I walked out with a 6" S&W model 19)...or rather my mom did.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, back to the Ruger in question...One seriously well thought out revolver. If you wanted to do a revolver for self defense and size wasn't too much of a concern, then this should be at the top of most people's list.

The fit of the Novak sight is superb and quite predictably the sight picture is very nice. There isn't enough light on either side of the front sight, but that's typical on all handguns. The DA pull was rather smooth if a little stiff. SA was probably about 4lbs and crisp.

I generally don't care for slab sided revolver barrels, but I like this one. They didn't over-do it when they did the slab sides, and all in all, I think the barrel profile is very pleasing to the eye. The elevated, solid rib is done in very good taste.

Overall execution of the entire revolver was just shy of flawless. The grips look and feel fantastic, and IMO they're very functional. Honestly, add in a first rate action job, and open up the rear sight and the revolver is PERFECTION.

My only real complaint was the very large model stamping on the side of the barrel, that's in poor taste. But I can't really blame Ruger, that style of stamping seems to be the trend of the entire industry these days. Still, it's a minor annoyance that could easily be removed.

All in all, I think Ruger has a real winner on their hands. And because I like it, that's probably the death knell for this revolver. Seems like anytime a maker makes a "different" gun that I like, they don't sell well and it's discontinued Think, how long did the S&W model 20 last? (lightweight barrel 7 shot L frame).

Anyhow, someone please go out there and buy one so I can feel like the gun has a chance of becoming a regular catalog item.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Reference the sights, if I remember correctly that model ships with two different heights of front sights. One for 38 specials and another for 357 magnums.

I really could like one of those a great deal. I've looked a couple of them over and liked what I saw.

I picked up a 686-3 with 4 inch barrel last Friday, so I may be good to go where the 357's are concerned.

The match champion looks like a fun shooter to me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And Hickok45 says...

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That reminds me, I forgot to mention the one I looked at had a MIM trigger and investment cast hammer, so the action was rather smooth. The DA pull was a little stiff, but it was pretty darned smooth.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one of the standard 4" GP100s and if had to pare down to one .357 it would be a hard choice between that and a 3" 66...

Have not handled one yet...as to the front sight, do the blades have to be pushed out or is there a quick release mechanism like on the GP100?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I never paid attention while I had one in my hands, but from the picture above that Kevin posted, it appears it would have to be drifted out.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
I have one of the standard 4" GP100s and if had to pare down to one .357 it would be a hard choice between that and a 3" 66...

Have not handled one yet...as to the front sight, do the blades have to be pushed out or is there a quick release mechanism like on the GP100?

Bob
Bob,

I just didn't pay attention to that detail, sorry.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would like my 3" SP-101 so sighted and may get my buddy in Houston to make the conversion.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had one for about four months now. Mine is the adjustable rear sight version. The grips are okay, but I didn't like them for magnum-level loads. I always thought that the original GP100 grips were close to perfect, so I put a pair on the new gun.

It's a real good platform size for a holster gun that will actually have a number of magnum loads put through it without being overly-large. I don't care about flat-sided barrels or the billboard lettering one way or another. The barrel has a heavy-enough profile without a full-lug (which I dislike in a .357 revolver, and is why I sold my Python and have for the most part avoided S&W 586/686/681 etc).

The double-action is very good; different from a S&W or Colt. As far as pull weight and smoothness, it's close to guns I've tried from the Performance Center or S&W Custom Shop. Single action is nothing special. I haven't done any work on the trigger, changed springs, etc. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Like some other Ruger designs, the front sight is a good idea poorly executed. The idea of a dovetail sight is okay, but I think it would have been better, and probably just as economical to manufacture, if the sight used a readily-changeable format as found on Redhawks and some S&W revolvers. This would be desireable because as Hickock45 mentions in his review, the fiber-optic front sight is a big blob; far too big for precision work and bigger than needed for fast work.

I probably have more .357 revolvers than I need, but I'm looking forward to doing some more shooting with this Ruger.

Last edited by Mesabi; 05/28/15.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never bonded with the 686 or Python either but for some reason the balance of the GP100 is just what I like.

I did replace the stock ramp front sight with one of the green FO ones from Brownells. It has a square casing so one gets the same fine sight picture as a ramp with a small green FO ball in the middle. The one on the Champion took like it would be too large.

If I was using the gun a lot for camping I would change the sights to tritium dots. Makes the gun easy to find in a tent at night and easier to aim in the dark.

Ruger has a winner front sight system...why would one change...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cheaper to manufacture most likely. They did the same thing with the Super Redhawks and with the newer 4.2" Redhawks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Ruger Match Champion

Very nice

Went to a toy show today and finally got to handle one,

It feels very good in the hand and balances well.

Too bad the toy fund is a bit low lately cuz that Ruger sure is tempting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the looks of a bone stock GP (with the original rubber grips with wood panel inserts, not that Hogue abomination) over this one, but that's just my opinion.

Appearances aside, I'm a little concerned at how much top strap metal was sacrificed to dovetail that rear site in. On a gun that's generally considered tops in a mid frame at withstanding a large diet of full pressure magnums, this seems like a bad idea.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I like the 3 inch Wiley Clapp version of the GP100 better.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well looky here. Pretty slick piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I prefer the looks of a bone stock GP (with the original rubber grips with wood panel inserts, not that Hogue abomination) over this one, but that's just my opinion.

Appearances aside, I'm a little concerned at how much top strap metal was sacrificed to dovetail that rear site in. On a gun that's generally considered tops in a mid frame at withstanding a large diet of full pressure magnums, this seems like a bad idea.

I agree about the grips, I prefer the older grips also. Not sure about the top strap.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 06/09/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.