Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just bought a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt, that has me literally scratching my head. The gun is pretty much brand new, and I don't think the 45 Colt cylinder had ever been fired before I got it. I loaded up some warm loads for it (not max, but pretty warm), and went to try it out. It would cycle & fire one round, then the cylinder would hang up, and WOULD NOT index to the next round, until taking the cylinder out and re-inserting it. Then, one more, and the whole thing again. Thinking maybe it just didn't like my loads, I tried some factory loads in it, with the exact same problem. Either empty, or loaded, it cycles fine, UNTIL you fire a round. Any idea what it could be? A simple fix, or does it need to go back to Ruger? Thanks, Troy.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is there space between the barrel and the end of the cylinder? Should be a tiny little air gap. If the cylinder is hanging up on the barrel breech this could happen

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, the cylinder gap is fine. The cylinder is not hanging up, it will move even after firing a shot. Just the hammer won't fully cock back, and the cylinder will not index in to position for the next shot.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Take the grips off and see if the spring is hanging up on anything

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks fine, not binding up on anything.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Make sure the base pin plunger inside the end of the pin is free. If it is stuck down or the basepin isn't fully seated the transfer bar will catch on the firing pin stopping the hammer from moving.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
Make sure the base pin plunger inside the end of the pin is free. If it is stuck down or the basepin isn't fully seated the transfer bar will catch on the firing pin stopping the hammer from moving.

I checked the plunger, and, though it would move, it seemed to be kind of rough. I depressed it and shot a couple drops of oil in there, and then tried shooting it again. Worked perfect! Ain't it crazy how something like this can be fixed by a drop of oil?

Thanks for your help, guys. This had me really puzzled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Awhile back( years)was not there a problem with Ruger base pins in 44 mags and Belt Mountain came up with a replacement fix. Would this be the same problem?

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/28/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
send it back to Ruger they will make it right

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheKid

Exactly what I was going to say. I bought a Super Blackhawk with the 5.5" barrel when they first came out. Had this same problem. A little oil helped, but I went ahead and disassembled it. There was rust, probably from leftover bluing solution that wasn't properly removed, inside the hole the base in slides in. Once I got that cleaned out there were no further issues.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check to be sure that your overall cartridge length isn't to long. Don't laugh. I've seen it happen.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.