Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Everybody likes the Montana here so I figured I'd give one a try. Got a line on a used one in the somewhat rare and my favorite caliber, the .260 Rem. Really like the feel of the action and stock, I could see why everybody likes the.

I was out of 120 TTSX which I had been shooting in my Rem 700 in .260 Rem so I grabbed some 120gr Hornady GMX. I loaded a few with some H4831sc and some with some H4350. I also grabbed some leftover loads for my other .260 Rem loaded with 120gr TTSX and a box of factory 120gr Federal Fusion.

I headed to the range last week end to see what she would do, that's when things started to go down.

First the Factory Fusion. Figured it was not great but its factory ammo, my handloads should tightened that up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4350. Nope, not any better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4831sc. Even worst! The third shot of this group hit the target to the left of it, about 10" to the left (the 46gr of H4350 target, the hole to the bottom left!).
[Linked Image]

120gr TTSX. Obviously this rifle doesn't like the GMX. Surely my old standard load should fix things up. Nope.
[Linked Image]

This is at 100 yds, Kimber Montana in .260 Rem with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 in Talley LW.

I had a quick look at Shortactionsmoker's tutorial before heading out to the range but figured mine would be one of the good ones. I'll take it apart this week end and re-read the tutorial!

Its a simple fix.
Recrown
Glass bed
True and shorten the action screws
Float the barrel
Lapp the barrel
Square the face
Replace the trigger
Then all you'll need to do is load 6-10 different bullets in increments of .5gr with 4-5 separate powders in lapua brass and switching primers throughout.
Then using benchrest setup and sandbags on a windless day at 72 degrees with the sun behind your left shoulder fire each round, stopping to allow the barrel to cool while an Indian medicine man blows sage and tobacco down the barrel.
That should reduce your groups to 2" or so.
Perfectly acceptable for a hunting rifle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
For the money that kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

Tikka superlight baby!

Half the price.

All of mine shot like that off to gunbroker!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep, but Tikkas are ugly. grin Course, I don't own a Montanna either, too light for my taste.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Steve drop the action back into the stock without the mag box. Be interested in what you see.

This...and snap a pic of the bottom of the mag well. The 260's have been around for a while now. If it's been shot much and there are issues underneath the stock, a quick glance should tell the story. I bet there are lots of shiny spots on the metal and the paint may even be gone in a few places.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't even enjoy tinkering that much but still managed to figure out how to follow the check list.

Would I have figured out potential issues on my own?

No.

Is it easy to fix any issues?

Yes.

Unless there is a barrel issue it's really pretty simple fixes.

Bed, check screws and mag-box, maybe tweak the trigger.

Shoot the rifle.

Darrik, the 84L 270 I ordered from you guys appears to be a pretty consistent rifle. Pull the action from the stock(replace) and it retains it's 400 yard dot zero.
Accuracy from a cool to fairly warm barrel remains totally acceptable for a lightweight hunting rifle.

First 9 Accubonds fired at a target(last Tuesday?), from the dirt, slight breeze, 69F in the shade, 6x scope. Of course I have really good frikken medicine man!

[Linked Image]

FWIW, I bedded the tang along with the lug and about 3" forward of the lug. Barrel is totally floated from bedding to muzzle.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by gitem_12
For the money that Kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

On the handguns, I think it's because they look fancy.

On the long guns, it's a mystery to me.

Never understood the rolling of the dice by so many.

I agree, and I don't have near enough time or patience to fart around with $1000 rifles trying to get them to shoot. My Nosler Patriot was as easy as my Tikkas to deal with.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice shooting Sam. Looks like a keeper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone keeps mentioning SAS's / Sticks checklist. While I don't own a Montana, I'd be interested in reading the thread.

Anyone got a link?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kimber is a "for chit" company posing as a reliable firearms manufacture.
They only stay in business because advertising dollars and a cult following.
I mean who can't install the correct action screws?
They obviously have a retarded blind man in QC.
I have a buddy, Tim Wilson who bought a new Ultra Carry , before there was a II..
He came by the shop and had a set of Wilson combat slim grips installed and bought some Lawman 230's...and hour later he showed up with a target showing obvious keyholing.
We disassembled the pistol and there was no rifling in the barrel.
Limber gave him a return authorization number finally but wouldn't pick up the shipping.
5 weeks later they returned the pistol with a new barrel and a receipt saying " could not duplicate problem".
Furthermore they cracked one of the grips and kep5 his magazine and charged him $40 return shipping.
Fk em!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered an 8400 from them once. Talk about a complete disaster. The Montana is great concept and if you get a good one I can certainly see the appeal. I don't think I'll ever buy any more Kimber products though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azar
Everyone keeps mentioning SAS's / Sticks checklist. While I don't own a Montana, I'd be interested in reading the thread.

Anyone got a link?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8486078/Montana_tinkering....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Whttail.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got three Montana's right now (7 WSM, 280 AI, 223 Rem). None required anything special to make them shoot. I plan to put together another 7 WSM and then add a 7mm-08 later this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Brian Pearce's article in "Rifle" this month, he says that there are credible reports about Kimber barrel problems, but that he hasn't experienced any himself.

Pearce is one writer I really trust to tell it straight.

J. B. too of course, but don't tell him I said so.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You need to borrow some targets from BSA hunter, his are never over 1/2 inch...

laugh laugh laugh

Steve, hope you get things sorted out. SAS's remedies should cure what ails.

This. And with a 260 with a 9 twist, 120 grain lead bullets are probably going to be your best bet. My experience with monos is they like twist and velocity.

I'm 50/50 with my Kimber exploits. I found happiness with a 308 Montana. Good enough. The lightweight 308 will do about anything in NA.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I took it apart tonight. And when through SAS's tips.

The front action screw is not bottoming out.

The mag box is not bottoming out either. Took the follower out and re-assembled it with the box only and there's some nice wiggle room.

The only culprit (and one the more minor one I believe) was the front Talley screw which was bottoming out. A few pass with a file took care of it.

Barrel is squeaky clean, crown looks good. Trigger is nice and light. Barrel is free floated to the front of the chamber

I'll try her again with some of the target bullets and some 129 and 140 Hornady IL I have and see if that scope base screw could have made such a big difference.

Next step after that will be bedding (even though it looks good now).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The reason I went with the Rem 700 guard screw was to gain a few more threads. They are too long to start so the have to be cut down. After bedding, the kimber guard screw was a bit short. It probably would have worked fine though.

If you just bed the recoil lug, you shouldn't have an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as the bedding goes, my experience is that it looks "too" pretty. In other words, I highly doubt that they bed each individual receiver but probably have a bunch of blank receivers that they use for setting up the bedding. Thus the bedding looks nice but essentially accomplishes nothing since it does not conform to your individual receiver. That's just my theory and I certainly have no proof but I'm skeptical that a production line can bed every unique action.
If that's the case, a skim bedding might prove very helpful.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've seen that front scope mount screw cause serious issues with a savage's ability to group...when it is bottoming out !

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
As far as the bedding goes, my experience is that it looks "too" pretty. In other words, I highly doubt that they bed each individual receiver but probably have a bunch of blank receivers that they use for setting up the bedding. Thus the bedding looks nice but essentially accomplishes nothing since it does not conform to your individual receiver. That's just my theory and I certainly have no proof but I'm skeptical that a production line can bed every unique action.
If that's the case, a skim bedding might prove very helpful.

They don't.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.