Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Everybody likes the Montana here so I figured I'd give one a try. Got a line on a used one in the somewhat rare and my favorite caliber, the .260 Rem. Really like the feel of the action and stock, I could see why everybody likes the.

I was out of 120 TTSX which I had been shooting in my Rem 700 in .260 Rem so I grabbed some 120gr Hornady GMX. I loaded a few with some H4831sc and some with some H4350. I also grabbed some leftover loads for my other .260 Rem loaded with 120gr TTSX and a box of factory 120gr Federal Fusion.

I headed to the range last week end to see what she would do, that's when things started to go down.

First the Factory Fusion. Figured it was not great but its factory ammo, my handloads should tightened that up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4350. Nope, not any better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4831sc. Even worst! The third shot of this group hit the target to the left of it, about 10" to the left (the 46gr of H4350 target, the hole to the bottom left!).
[Linked Image]

120gr TTSX. Obviously this rifle doesn't like the GMX. Surely my old standard load should fix things up. Nope.
[Linked Image]

This is at 100 yds, Kimber Montana in .260 Rem with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 in Talley LW.

I had a quick look at Shortactionsmoker's tutorial before heading out to the range but figured mine would be one of the good ones. I'll take it apart this week end and re-read the tutorial!

Last edited by BCSteve; 05/29/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to borrow some targets from BSA hunter, his are never over 1/2 inch...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got one last week,waiting on mounts guess ill find out soon enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel your pain. I went to Pac-nor.

Still working with the rifle, but at least now the cold bore shots are very consistent. With the factory barrel it would only group well if the barrel was warm, and you spaced your shots just right. Which of course is useless for a hunting rifle.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That sucks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bummer, probably definitely something amiss. I will note that if I shoot mine off a bipod without holding the forend at all it looks kind of like that. Not quite so bad, maybe like the Fusion load. But hold it like you're hunting and it shoots lights out.

Last edited by prm; 05/29/15.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Holy hell Batman! I think you might have lost at Kimber Roulettte!.............Good luck........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

laugh laugh laugh

Steve, hope you get things sorted out. SAS's remedies should cure what ails.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Copper fouled barrel?

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For the money that kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you tried some lead bullets? I've found monos are more finicky with seating depth.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
USED Kimber.
Mystery solved.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12
For the money that kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

When you buy a Kimber you're not paying for workmanship. At that price or even less there are rifles with better workmanship. You are paying a premium for a rifle that is 2-3 lbs lighter than the competition. If you want a rifle that weighs under 6 lbs scoped it is a bargain. Anything else at that weight will cost 2X-3X more.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a wonderful design.

But whoever accepted the barrel on mine should have to eat it frown

I have two Kimber rifles, and a 1911 pistol. They have wonderful designs, and then cut corners on them to save a few bucks.

If Ruger can put nice barrels on American Rifles, that sell for 1/2 the Kimber's price, there's not much excuse for Kimber using crappy barrels.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would follow SAS tutorial. I have a 260Rem that shot fine until I had it cerakoted and rebedded by the fellow doing the cerakote. Shot crap and the bedding job is rubbish. This weekend with SAS tutorial I will bed it myself.

Can't understand why people whinge about Kimbers when just about every new, or used, rifle I have had has needed work. Bedding to start with.

Hope you can get yours shooting well. Look forward to following the progress.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't despair. Give the bore a good cleaning with something like Wipe-Out, then do the SAS thing and it should shoot fine.
Buying a used rifle is always a crap shoot but with a little effort it will be fine.
Of course this comes from a guy that bought a used M700 in 223 and after a barrel, stock and gunsmithing it shoots lights out but cost 3X the original price.
Rifle loonies, what can I say?

Last edited by Blacktailer; 05/29/15.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
USED Kimber.
Mystery solved.

I'll second that...... The targets look like mine chambered in 7mm-08.

Dave

One shot, one kill........
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are many reasons that could be causing you trouble from bedding problems to a bad or damaged crown or just a bad or horribly fouled barrel. I have worked with a noted rimfire gunsmith (I know yours is not a rimfire but accuracy is accuracy) and can tell you that even some of the top custom barrel makers occasionally make barrels that are just not up to par and factory barrels are just a crap shoot.

One thing that rimfire gunsmiths routinely do is slug the barrel (that is push a bullet down the bore with a rod) looking for tight and loose spots. This is done to assess the quality of the bore and for the gunsmith to locate a tight spot near the muzzle end, where he will cut and crown the barrel. Most custom barrels are now taper lapped so that the tightest spot is at muzzle end. Ideally, when slugging a barrel it should take constant pressure to push the slug down the barrel. If it suddenly gets easy to push the slug, you are at a loose spot. If it's loose enough you will get gas blow-by and if the loose spot is at the muzzle there is just no way it will shoot well. If you re-barrel, have your smith slug the barrel and tell him you want it cut and crowned at a tight spot, while giving him a minimum barrel length that will be acceptable for you. Having a gunsmith slug and/or bore scope your factory barrel should identify any problems with it. All accuracy problems are fixable. I would have it re-barreled by a good smith before I would send it back to Kimber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe I'm nuts but when I buy a rifle I expect it to shoot. Maybe Ive just been lucky.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heliman
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
USED Kimber.
Mystery solved.

I'll second that...... The targets look like mine chambered in 7mm-08.

Dave

Mine too. It shoots something like the OP's 260. Which is to say, it sucks grin

After 4-5 range session I concluded ..."this thing is sick",and tossed it in a corner.

But before I did I pulled it apart and took a close look.The guys like SAS are right and here's what I found myself. YMMV.

First, yes the mag box is binding on the bottom of the magazine well. All the tell tale shiny spots are down there.

Second when I loosened the guard screws, the action just fell out...nothing "tight" about the bedding at all,even though it "looks" perfect.

I removed the mag box and follower ,and just dropped the barreled action back into the stock. It now dropped into the stock so low that the barrel (which looked perfectly centered and floated),now made contact with the stock.It was no longer "floated".

Put this all together, and we see that with the guard screws tightened, the barreled action was "bedding" and tightening up on the top of the mag box and not making contact with the bedding surface of the stock at all...at least in the front of the action.

I had heard here about the mag box "binding", but didn't think the whole action was bedded on it...ain't hard to figure why it doesn't shoot.

I also recall Stick saying to bed the recoil lug "tight"...at least that's my memory. That in mind and with screws out, I found the action would rock and roll side to side in the stock. I think I understand what he was saying....that little action could easily roll around under the stress of shooting.

I think the fix is easy enough....bed properly and high enough to avoid the mag box thing, grind it down if necessary,be sure the tube floats. And I will bed that lug so there's no side to side rock and roll. Tight.

All stress free of course.Will see if all that works. I am not ready to trash the barrel...based on what I see. It can't possibly shoot with dogshidt bedding. Have to fix the obvious sickness first.The best barrel in the world will not shoot with lousy bedding.

But I'm no gunsmith.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/29/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JMR40

When you buy a Kimber you're not paying for workmanship. At that price or even less there are rifles with better workmanship. You are paying a premium for a rifle that is 2-3 lbs lighter than the competition. If you want a rifle that weighs under 6 lbs scoped it is a bargain. Anything else at that weight will cost 2X-3X more.

So it doesn't matter if it shoots good or not?

Can you tell I'm not a Kimber lover? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bet he doesn't blow up guns though.....

BCSteve, hope you can figure it out soon.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 05/29/15.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Berger's twist rate calculator shows the 120 GMX as being real marginal on stability in a 9 twist. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's most of the reason for the truly abysmal accuracy there.

Otherwise the rifle looks like it just needs the SAS treatment, and I suspect it will be shooting fine. Funny thing is, depending on the order in which the Fusions were shot, if you had stopped at three shots some of the groups would have been just over the magic MOA everyone seems to think is necessary to kill a deer. This is a good example of why a person shouldn't rely on 3 shot groups to determine accuracy.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 05/29/15.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have you thought about another scope?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know of a few members here who had trouble with 260 MT's(several years ago).

Pretty sure that was the trouble child for Kimber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's interesting that the groups seemed to get worse as you went along.

Bad scope? Cracked mount or ring? All the other stuff of course.

I've seen a lot on here about proper bench technique for light rifles. If you're not experienced in that area, you might want to ask someone who is so you can properly evaluate the progress you hopefully will make finding the problem.

Good luck. It's tough when you get all fired up about a new toy and then run into trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The .260 quietly left the Kimber lineup after a year or so. I think Kimber hired grief counselors for their "customer service".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those targets look like most of the Ruger 77s that I have owned. crazy

Fortunately I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM that makes holes just like BSA's targets. wink

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The .260 quietly left the Kimber lineup after a year or so. I think Kimber hired grief counselors for their "customer service".

With a used 260 this was my first thought as well, but I would double check the scope/mounts first and then try the SAS treatment before reaching that conclusion.

FĂśCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know of a few members here who had trouble with 260 MT's(several years ago).

Pretty sure that was the trouble child for Kimber.

I remember reading about that, now that you mention it. I've always wondered if they dropped the chambering because of poor sales, or because of possible accuracy issues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

With a used 260 this was my first thought as well, but I would double check the scope/mounts first and then try the SAS treatment before reaching that conclusion.

Good idea here. The SAS/brad treatment should be pursued.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In case there is anyone relatively inexperienced out there reading this, it isn't the cartridge that is problematic. The 260 Remington is easy to work with.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have two Montanas; a 257R (purchased used) and a 708. The 708 shot about like your 260 and the 257R was even worse. I followed Stick's and SAS treatment and both shoot great now. The biggest problem, as far as I can tell, was the bedding.

This is what I did to improve the accuracy of my 708:
-lightened the trigger
-had the crown touched up (it was really rough)
-fully floated the barrel back to the lug
-bedded the lug tight and drimmeled under for some clearance.
-replaced the front guard screw with a Rem 700 (had to trim down a few threads)

I'm still in the load development stage so most of my groups are 50 yds but it give you an idea of how it will shoot. I've tried 120 NBT, 120 TTSX, 140 AB and 140 NBT and get good accuracy with everything so far.

120 TTSX and RL-15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

the crown before it was touched up
[Linked Image]

Good luck with the 260

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For the money that Kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

On the handguns, I think it's because they look fancy.

On the long guns, it's a mystery to me.

Never understood the rolling of the dice by so many.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When you get ready to sell.... Let me know... Seriously

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
When you get ready to sell.... Let me know... Seriously

Same here. I own 7 Kimbers (3 Montanas, 2 Classics, 2 Classic Selects) and they are all shooters. Maybe I should buy a Lotto ticket from what I'm reading here.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
lochsa I would not be surprised to see a good bedding job give those results.It doesn't take 5 minutes to check this stuff. The bedding on mine is so obviously "bad" you really can't miss it.

I've had a 257 Roberts Montana that shot great; but I think every Kimber should come with an "Possible Assembly Required" warning label on the box. smile

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I figured this thread would get attention.

To answer some of the questions and comments.

I was shooting with a front rest and a rear bag but was holding the forend behind the rest to reduce the hop off the bag instead of letting it free recoil.

The rings are new and not cracked. The scope is proven but I may try a different one that the road if nothing else works.

I have some 140gr A-Max, SMK's, Scenars and 130gr Bergers that I may load to try if a "target" bullet would be more accurate.

The barrel was scrubbed down to metal and DBC applied. Shot 10-12 rounds to cure the product and cleaned with Wipe-out prior to this range session. I cleaned the barrel with Wipe-out after this range session and it didn't appear to be overly dirty.

I'm going to take it out of the stock tomorrow and check the mag box, action screw length and scope base screws to start with.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by BCSteve; 05/29/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Steve drop the action back into the stock without the mag box. Be interested in what you see.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Everybody likes the Montana here so I figured I'd give one a try. Got a line on a used one in the somewhat rare and my favorite caliber, the .260 Rem. Really like the feel of the action and stock, I could see why everybody likes the.

I was out of 120 TTSX which I had been shooting in my Rem 700 in .260 Rem so I grabbed some 120gr Hornady GMX. I loaded a few with some H4831sc and some with some H4350. I also grabbed some leftover loads for my other .260 Rem loaded with 120gr TTSX and a box of factory 120gr Federal Fusion.

I headed to the range last week end to see what she would do, that's when things started to go down.

First the Factory Fusion. Figured it was not great but its factory ammo, my handloads should tightened that up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4350. Nope, not any better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

120gr GMX with H4831sc. Even worst! The third shot of this group hit the target to the left of it, about 10" to the left (the 46gr of H4350 target, the hole to the bottom left!).
[Linked Image]

120gr TTSX. Obviously this rifle doesn't like the GMX. Surely my old standard load should fix things up. Nope.
[Linked Image]

This is at 100 yds, Kimber Montana in .260 Rem with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 in Talley LW.

I had a quick look at Shortactionsmoker's tutorial before heading out to the range but figured mine would be one of the good ones. I'll take it apart this week end and re-read the tutorial!

Its a simple fix.
Recrown
Glass bed
True and shorten the action screws
Float the barrel
Lapp the barrel
Square the face
Replace the trigger
Then all you'll need to do is load 6-10 different bullets in increments of .5gr with 4-5 separate powders in lapua brass and switching primers throughout.
Then using benchrest setup and sandbags on a windless day at 72 degrees with the sun behind your left shoulder fire each round, stopping to allow the barrel to cool while an Indian medicine man blows sage and tobacco down the barrel.
That should reduce your groups to 2" or so.
Perfectly acceptable for a hunting rifle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tikka superlight baby!

Half the price.

All of mine shot like that off to gunbroker!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep, but Tikkas are ugly. grin Course, I don't own a Montanna either, too light for my taste.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Steve drop the action back into the stock without the mag box. Be interested in what you see.

This...and snap a pic of the bottom of the mag well. The 260's have been around for a while now. If it's been shot much and there are issues underneath the stock, a quick glance should tell the story. I bet there are lots of shiny spots on the metal and the paint may even be gone in a few places.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't even enjoy tinkering that much but still managed to figure out how to follow the check list.

Would I have figured out potential issues on my own?

No.

Is it easy to fix any issues?

Yes.

Unless there is a barrel issue it's really pretty simple fixes.

Bed, check screws and mag-box, maybe tweak the trigger.

Shoot the rifle.

Darrik, the 84L 270 I ordered from you guys appears to be a pretty consistent rifle. Pull the action from the stock(replace) and it retains it's 400 yard dot zero.
Accuracy from a cool to fairly warm barrel remains totally acceptable for a lightweight hunting rifle.

First 9 Accubonds fired at a target(last Tuesday?), from the dirt, slight breeze, 69F in the shade, 6x scope. Of course I have really good frikken medicine man!

[Linked Image]

FWIW, I bedded the tang along with the lug and about 3" forward of the lug. Barrel is totally floated from bedding to muzzle.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
For the money that Kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

On the handguns, I think it's because they look fancy.

On the long guns, it's a mystery to me.

Never understood the rolling of the dice by so many.

I agree, and I don't have near enough time or patience to fart around with $1000 rifles trying to get them to shoot. My Nosler Patriot was as easy as my Tikkas to deal with.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice shooting Sam. Looks like a keeper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone keeps mentioning SAS's / Sticks checklist. While I don't own a Montana, I'd be interested in reading the thread.

Anyone got a link?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kimber is a "for chit" company posing as a reliable firearms manufacture.
They only stay in business because advertising dollars and a cult following.
I mean who can't install the correct action screws?
They obviously have a retarded blind man in QC.
I have a buddy, Tim Wilson who bought a new Ultra Carry , before there was a II..
He came by the shop and had a set of Wilson combat slim grips installed and bought some Lawman 230's...and hour later he showed up with a target showing obvious keyholing.
We disassembled the pistol and there was no rifling in the barrel.
Limber gave him a return authorization number finally but wouldn't pick up the shipping.
5 weeks later they returned the pistol with a new barrel and a receipt saying " could not duplicate problem".
Furthermore they cracked one of the grips and kep5 his magazine and charged him $40 return shipping.
Fk em!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered an 8400 from them once. Talk about a complete disaster. The Montana is great concept and if you get a good one I can certainly see the appeal. I don't think I'll ever buy any more Kimber products though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azar
Everyone keeps mentioning SAS's / Sticks checklist. While I don't own a Montana, I'd be interested in reading the thread.

Anyone got a link?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8486078/Montana_tinkering....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Whttail.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got three Montana's right now (7 WSM, 280 AI, 223 Rem). None required anything special to make them shoot. I plan to put together another 7 WSM and then add a 7mm-08 later this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Brian Pearce's article in "Rifle" this month, he says that there are credible reports about Kimber barrel problems, but that he hasn't experienced any himself.

Pearce is one writer I really trust to tell it straight.

J. B. too of course, but don't tell him I said so.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh laugh laugh

Steve, hope you get things sorted out. SAS's remedies should cure what ails.

This. And with a 260 with a 9 twist, 120 grain lead bullets are probably going to be your best bet. My experience with monos is they like twist and velocity.

I'm 50/50 with my Kimber exploits. I found happiness with a 308 Montana. Good enough. The lightweight 308 will do about anything in NA.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I took it apart tonight. And when through SAS's tips.

The front action screw is not bottoming out.

The mag box is not bottoming out either. Took the follower out and re-assembled it with the box only and there's some nice wiggle room.

The only culprit (and one the more minor one I believe) was the front Talley screw which was bottoming out. A few pass with a file took care of it.

Barrel is squeaky clean, crown looks good. Trigger is nice and light. Barrel is free floated to the front of the chamber

I'll try her again with some of the target bullets and some 129 and 140 Hornady IL I have and see if that scope base screw could have made such a big difference.

Next step after that will be bedding (even though it looks good now).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The reason I went with the Rem 700 guard screw was to gain a few more threads. They are too long to start so the have to be cut down. After bedding, the kimber guard screw was a bit short. It probably would have worked fine though.

If you just bed the recoil lug, you shouldn't have an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as the bedding goes, my experience is that it looks "too" pretty. In other words, I highly doubt that they bed each individual receiver but probably have a bunch of blank receivers that they use for setting up the bedding. Thus the bedding looks nice but essentially accomplishes nothing since it does not conform to your individual receiver. That's just my theory and I certainly have no proof but I'm skeptical that a production line can bed every unique action.
If that's the case, a skim bedding might prove very helpful.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've seen that front scope mount screw cause serious issues with a savage's ability to group...when it is bottoming out !

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
As far as the bedding goes, my experience is that it looks "too" pretty. In other words, I highly doubt that they bed each individual receiver but probably have a bunch of blank receivers that they use for setting up the bedding. Thus the bedding looks nice but essentially accomplishes nothing since it does not conform to your individual receiver. That's just my theory and I certainly have no proof but I'm skeptical that a production line can bed every unique action.
If that's the case, a skim bedding might prove very helpful.

They don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are bedded with a 'slave' action in the factory where the stocks are manufactured. Then the stocks are sent to the factory where the barrelled actions are made then are put together. I know the wood stocks are made in Costa Rica not sure if the Montana stocks are made there too. Bedding always looks nice but doesn't necessarily fit the action that gets put in it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bingo!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 308 Montana shot well enough without bedding, but I did it anyway. It's just what I have to do with my rifles to be sure they are shooting as well as I can get them to.

Bedding helped mine even after all the other tweaks.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I took it apart tonight. And when through SAS's tips.

The front action screw is not bottoming out.

The mag box is not bottoming out either. Took the follower out and re-assembled it with the box only and there's some nice wiggle room.

The only culprit (and one the more minor one I believe) was the front Talley screw which was bottoming out. A few pass with a file took care of it.

Barrel is squeaky clean, crown looks good. Trigger is nice and light. Barrel is free floated to the front of the chamber

I'll try her again with some of the target bullets and some 129 and 140 Hornady IL I have and see if that scope base screw could have made such a big difference.

Next step after that will be bedding (even though it looks good now).

Personally I would not even shoot it before skim bedding the action. 50% chance it will only cause further frustration if you do not skim bed.

Pieter

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
get a finnlight

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
get a finnlight

Aye, mate!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If they don't bed it to the specific actions, why bed it?
Are they so lacking in knowledge that they think it actually doesn't matter or are they attempting to get over on buyers that don't know better?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Are they so lacking in knowledge that they think it actually doesn't matter or are they attempting to get over on buyers that don't know better?

They will fit as well as any other action that is not bedded. Kimbers mistake is leaving the impression that each rifle is individually bedded to the stock it is placed in. Yes it is bedding but not real bedding as it is commonly thought of, should be called moulded inletting. Neither does the factory inletting on Rugers, Remingtons, tikkas ,Sakos and many others including aftermarket stocks like McMillan, B&C, Hogue, HS Precision, etc fit each action perfectly without bedding them. I don't know why they don't bed them like Winchesters or brownings but then again those rifles are not without bedding/accuracy issues also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ringworm

I think you might have nailed it. They're simply trying to screw anyone who buys one of their rifles. The big wigs at Kimber recognize that anyone who buys one of their rifles has to be a certified and verifiable moron, so you get what you get.

As some have pointed out, these are factory rifles with a few different options and ideas attached, but they are still factory rifles. They are not custom rifles.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I've been an obvious moron 7 times in my life and I'm planning on being one again at least once more based on my experience with them. So apparently not all Kimber rifles are like what some would like to portray them to be for whatever reasons. but they are still a factory rifle.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. In that case, 10 minutes with a Dremel and a teaspoon of bedding compound should do wonders.

Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just saw on kimbers website that their rifle are supposed to be moa or better when being fired by a qualified shooter with factory ammo. My guess is there customer service would say anyone who complains is not qualified. Still can't decide if I should get one in .223 or wait on a stainless m7.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd buy a 223 Montana in a heartbeat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
Just saw on kimbers website that their rifle are supposed to be moa or better when being fired by a qualified shooter with factory ammo. My guess is there customer service would say anyone who complains is not qualified. Still can't decide if I should get one in .223 or wait on a stainless m7.

Yes, get the darn Kimber 84m 223 in a heartbeat. I have one and it feels superb in the hand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got my 223 bedded actually and was hoping for some advice from those that know.

The lug is bedded super tight and the bedding goes to under the shank. Do I need to dremel out the bottom of the recoil lug? How would I know if it is bottoming out or if so, even needs to be relieved.

Thank you all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wrangler13

I'd bet they are using a machine rest and just the barreled action for that guarantee test.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
I just got my 223 bedded actually and was hoping for some advice from those that know.

The lug is bedded super tight and the bedding goes to under the shank. Do I need to dremel out the bottom of the recoil lug? How would I know if it is bottoming out or if so, even needs to be relieved.

Thank you all

If it were me, I'd get rid of the bedding under the lug. That's once place in the bedding I don't want any contact. I do believe the Kimber benefits from a tight lug, but I don't want anything underneath it.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks SAS, I actually got this little rifle from you and a note to all : It was an extremely smooth and pleasurably experience buying a rifle from SAS and Whittaker's

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ya' know, if you spend $1250 on a rifle, you should have reasonable expectations of promised accuracy. I could have bought 3 Ruger American All-weather rifles for the money I spent on the Kimber and got twice the accuracy. No thanks. I learned my lesson. This is just my informed first hand opinion. Sorry for the rant, not meant to offend.

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ya' know, if you spend $1250 on a rifle, you should have reasonable expectations of promised accuracy. I could have bought 3 Ruger American All-weather rifles for the money I spent on the Kimber and got twice the accuracy. No thanks. I learned my lesson. This is just my informed first hand opinion. Sorry for the rant, not meant to offend.

Dave

Not meant to offend,but if you aren't buying the Montana for all the reason's that it's different from an American,then you really shouldn't be buying the Montana.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought the Montana for a light weight packing rifle that was still accurate regardless of the lighter weight. I have an American that doubles the accuracy with on 8 ounces more weight that is accurate and still easy packing.

Don't want an argument here, just stating pure fact from MY experience. Now if my ordered Cooper rifle doesn't shoot well I will be REALLY upset .

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"Pure fact from MY experience."

I laughed.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
How did you get on with the rifle BCSteve?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I bought the Montana for a light weight packing rifle that was still accurate regardless of the lighter weight. I have an American that doubles the accuracy with on 8 ounces more weight that is accurate and still easy packing.

Don't want an argument here, just stating pure fact from MY experience. Now if my ordered Cooper rifle doesn't shoot well I will be REALLY upset .

Dave
I would be shocked if your Copper does not shoot lights out, unlike Kimber rifles I have never seen a Cooper that didnt shoot at least MOA right out of the box.....No gunsmithing required..........Good luck ....Hb

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Went back to the range this morning, a balmy 30* Celcius.

I was curious to see if shortening that scope mount screw that was bottoming would make a difference. I also had a couple new loads to try.

First up was the factory Federal 120gr Fusion
[Linked Image]

Some 140gr Hornady SST that I had put together to seasoned the barrel when I applied DBC to the barrel. No idea what the load is and don't care with those results.

[Linked Image]

Some 140gr Hornady IL with an unknown load. Some left over of something. About 1.5" for three, not that bad.

[Linked Image]

140gr A-Max with 42gr of H4350. Again, 4 in about 1.5", not great but better than before.

[Linked Image]

139gr Scenars, 42gr H4350. 4 in almost 1".

[Linked Image]

Not too sure what to make of today's results. Some of the groups were just as bad as last time yet some show some potential. Next step is going to be bedding.

Last edited by BCSteve; 06/30/15. Reason: Wrong pic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't return it to Kimber. Their CS is about as bad as it gets.

And you may well be on the road to fixing your rifle yourself.

Good luck,

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Float the barrel all the way to the recoil lug

If that fails then full bed all the way to the tip or try 15 lbs of tip pressure as many thin barrels like to be dampened

As a last ditch effort and I mean last ditch.....send it back to Kimber

BTW.....be for warned.....Kimber customer service manager "Allen" is a lying POS and I hope you dont have to deal with that bastid sob

Also......Kimber gives no accuracy guarantee

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Those last two loads have potential. Try those again but try experimenting with LOA, i.e. Bullet seating depth. Make sure that the crosshairs are in the same place (vertical) each time.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I think an example of why Kimber dropped the .260Rem..

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by turkish

I laughed.

Really.........well I dang near cried being duped by Kimber. Learned my lesson.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by turkish

I laughed.

Really.........well I dang near cried being duped by Kimber. Learned my lesson.

Same here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to see a "bad" Montucky,but have seen a few that folks thought were "bad". Hint.

Start at the fhuqking start.

Re-hint.

Funny how things so glaring,reliably stump the masses...and I mean fhuqking FUNNY.

Wow............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bad experience with Kimber wasn't with a Montana. It was a model 84L. After having dealt with Kimbers CS dept and seeing the low quality of these guns and the piss poor repair work done by them there is no need for me to ever buy another.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Those last two loads have potential. Try those again but try experimenting with LOA, i.e. Bullet seating depth. Make sure that the crosshairs are in the same place (vertical) each time.

Agreed but unfortunately, neither of those loads use what I would consider hunting bullets (flame suit on) grin . Although, push come to shove, I'm sure either of those two would work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First of all, with all due apologies to Larry, AKA, Big Stick, if you are having trouble getting that Kimber to shoot, here is a trouble free solution- Sell it, and go buy a Tikka. I have never ever shot a Kimber in my life, but apparently there is a certain amount of tinkering that often comes with the package. Even me, who has little interest in Kimbers could find that tinkering recipe quite quickly on here, and if you don't have that much interest, you probably would be happier with a Tikka. Or one of those new Rugers, whatever they are called.
And, Larry, by way of spilling my guts about photo equipment, I am at the point where dollars spent finding animals to photo pays bigger dividends than a new camera body. Looking for a good place to photo caribou, maybe the Toquin Valley in Jasper.

Royce

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Royce
First of all, with all due apologies to Larry, AKA, Big Stick, if you are having trouble getting that Kimber to shoot, here is a trouble free solution- Sell it, and go buy a Tikka. I have never ever shot a Kimber in my life, but apparently there is a certain amount of tinkering that often comes with the package. Even me, who has little interest in Kimbers could find that tinkering recipe quite quickly on here, and if you don't have that much interest, you probably would be happier with a Tikka. Or one of those new Rugers, whatever they are called.
And, Larry, by way of spilling my guts about photo equipment, I am at the point where dollars spent finding animals to photo pays bigger dividends than a new camera body. Looking for a good place to photo caribou, maybe the Toquin Valley in Jasper.

Royce

WTF!?! What makes you think I don't have interest in tinkering and making my rifle shoot? Weird post....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Because if the first thing you do after shooting groups that are more like patterns is to post them on the internet, I would suspect that you aren't too interested in tinkering with a rifle. If I come home from the range after shooting groups like that, my first inclination is to find out what the f is wrong, not post pictures of a train wreck on the 'Fire.
Next question?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ha, I love those teaser groups from crazy guns. You think you are finally making progress, then your next trip to the range it starts spraying again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

I have one Montana... 7mm-08. Biggest improvement on mine came when I replaced the Talleys and FX-3 with steel bases, steel rings, and 4-9x SuperBird. The heavier scope and hardware has completely changed the recoil characteristics of the "system".

I had considerable "hop" with the lighter FX-3. To the point where I think the whole-body recoil of the system was difficult to get repeatable results with. In other words... the rifle motion under recoil was not "repeatable"... for me. It would hop varying degrees depending on rest, shooting angle, etc. I tried controlling muzzle jump different ways and I had numerous tight 3-5 shot groups with different loads, and good results out to 500 yards. But the "system" was not very forgiving and took decent skill to shoot well (and ability to build a good field rest). Now, keep that in perspective as it would still shoot 10-shots into 1.5" which is still dang good for such a light rifle in my book.

With the heavier SuperBird and steel hardware... its a completely different animal. Not one bit finicky to shoot. Its boringly reliable out to 500+ yards. Nothing changed... other than the scope and hardware. I did trim 2 screws but that wasn't even necessary. My Kimber was made a couple years ago. No mag issues, and you can turn the rifle upside down without action screws and the action won't fall out (i.e. tight).

I suspect that many problems with Montanas are due to inconsistent/non-repeatable rifle motion under recoil to the point where some have trouble shooting such a light rifle. I know many of us have speculated this, but I've now seen it firsthand and the affect of adding slightly more weight.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to add steel hardware and heavy scopes to their Montanas but this rifle should make one consider the possibility that, if all else is OK, maybe 10-shots under 1" is not realistic for such a light rifle with light scope and mounts. Or the fact that many of us do not have the skillgrin Anyway, something to ponder.

First pic was right after the scope switch, and getting familiar with it (not controlling muzzle jump!). Its only gotten better since.

I am convinced a better shooter could stack 10-shots in one neat hole with this rifle.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/01/15.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
...or your leupold was a dog.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

My FX-3 or Steve's VX-III?

If you're asking about the FX-3 on my rifle, it was a proven scope on several rifles prior to the Montana and several after.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jason;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well and keeping cool enough.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this subject, it's sometimes nettlesome to pin down exactly how to make a particular rifle dance - IF it can be made to do so.

Your post brings up two instances that I'll quickly share here and as always are only worth what they cost the reader in time. wink

We had at one time two different .308 Norma's and a .300 Win Mag living here that I did a bit of experimenting with using the same powder, bullet and primer - just slightly differing charges - to get the same velocity.

Anyway one of the facets that became immediately clear to me was that the lighter rifle - built on a Liberty Ruger 77, stocked with a light piece of Claro - required a much firmer hold off the bags to get it to group as well as the Ruger No. 1 which was a good 1½ lb heavier.

Until then I'd have said that a pound and a half would not/could not make that much difference - and I would have been wrong - for me shooting them anyway.

Perhaps equally important - how the stock fits me appears to play a much larger role in how well I'm able to shoot a rifle than I'd previously believed. I'd say that the heavier the rifle is, the more I'm able to overcome a less than perfect fit.

Lastly and I apologize for repeating this story again - I was at the range one day when a chap I've known for awhile showed up and asked if I'd shoot his new project - a .284 built on a 600 action with very thin barrel and Chet Brown Pounder stock. He is about a foot taller than my towering 5'6" and would likely have a good 100lb on my 160lb.

So we both shot a group with it - I think 3 shots but perhaps 5 - and while we were both able to get respectable groups, the centers of the point of impact were a good 2" apart.

For the life of me I can't recall at this juncture who shot higher but I'd suspect it was my group???

Anyway we thought at the time that in all likelihood the difference in our weight and how the rifle recoiled for us made the difference.

Again thanks for sharing your experience with us sir, I appreciate you taking the time to do so and found it an educational read.

All the best to you folks this Fourth of July Jason.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh I think it's plainly cited in Starting At The Fhuqking Start,to scratch things offa the list...not add to 'em. Many miss that approach and by miles. A Montucky is no different than ANY other rifle,in what is requisite to nip mechanical and them constants is constant. This schit is as easy as you wish it to be and it's a breeze to have a Skookum rifle on the first outing,in no time flat. Hint.

On the average,assembly,base/rings,glass,bedding and ammo are botched by Joe Average,thus my loooooooonnnnggggggggggggg running affinity to scoop up used rifles that "don't shoot".(grin) The newest is blowing minds and pards are contemplating a similar build,after only ONE Skinner load having been whistled through it ala Kiss,Found Pressure and Rocking On. Hint.

Anywhoo.

Royce I've only seen a couple few thousand Caribou...this week.(grin) Nothing huge yet,but it won't be long. Had a 7D2/100-400L II melding handy and didn't gun a frame,as I'd forgotten my card reader. Hopefully a big bunch will saunter through on the next pass.

I'm beyond content gunning a 1D3/100-400L 1st Gen as a mainstay and cain't cuss riggin',if the files aren't to my liking. I'm content,when I can see me,in the catchlight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When the light ain't forgiving,it's time to yet again crush the "rule" of thirds and gun some mood.

[Linked Image]

Mebbe even gun some screaming harsh backlight.

[Linked Image]

Or Crazy Eyes.

[Linked Image]

Nice to catch some light,when they're pissed.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/2R8G9934-2.jpg[/img]

Or mix it up and break all the rules.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/North%20Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/sunrun.jpg[/img]

You get the drift...so I digress.

It'd be hilarious to have 15 minutes of time and a video camera,to shoot a "bad" Montucky,after hastily building ammo for it.(grin)

I hear good thangs about Fixed Fhuqkers and their uncanny ability to retain zero,reliably deal copious amounts of erector latitude and return unerringly,while granting a reticle that is far easier to hold hard and extract finite Precision from. in fairness,I haven't broken that many sets of LW's.(grin)

Cracks me up,that all the Whining Dumbfhuqks come crawling outta the closet and love to "brag" about how fhuqking STUPID they are and how something as simplistic as a bolt rifle,reliably whoops their ass. SquatToPee was likely THE Queen,but more than a few Texans are giving her Dumbfhuqkery a real run for it's money,by simply doing their "best".

Bless their hearts!

This schit is ALWAYS funny and it's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who Pretends.

Just sayin' and I may or may not have a LEGENDARY 600 wearing a Flyweight spout,that shoots in the Nothin's too. Curiously enough,none of my Flyweights are floated and there's been way better than 100 gents trip triggers on the fleet,then procure in like fashion. I'm more than a touch good for The Economy,as gents I've never met or talked to,have followed suit.(grin)

'Nother Hint.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Those caribou pictures speak for themselves-

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Jason;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well and keeping cool enough.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this subject, it's sometimes nettlesome to pin down exactly how to make a particular rifle dance - IF it can be made to do so.

Your post brings up two instances that I'll quickly share here and as always are only worth what they cost the reader in time. wink

We had at one time two different .308 Norma's and a .300 Win Mag living here that I did a bit of experimenting with using the same powder, bullet and primer - just slightly differing charges - to get the same velocity.

Anyway one of the facets that became immediately clear to me was that the lighter rifle - built on a Liberty Ruger 77, stocked with a light piece of Claro - required a much firmer hold off the bags to get it to group as well as the Ruger No. 1 which was a good 1½ lb heavier.

Until then I'd have said that a pound and a half would not/could not make that much difference - and I would have been wrong - for me shooting them anyway.

Perhaps equally important - how the stock fits me appears to play a much larger role in how well I'm able to shoot a rifle than I'd previously believed. I'd say that the heavier the rifle is, the more I'm able to overcome a less than perfect fit.

Lastly and I apologize for repeating this story again - I was at the range one day when a chap I've known for awhile showed up and asked if I'd shoot his new project - a .284 built on a 600 action with very thin barrel and Chet Brown Pounder stock. He is about a foot taller than my towering 5'6" and would likely have a good 100lb on my 160lb.

So we both shot a group with it - I think 3 shots but perhaps 5 - and while we were both able to get respectable groups, the centers of the point of impact were a good 2" apart.

For the life of me I can't recall at this juncture who shot higher but I'd suspect it was my group???

Anyway we thought at the time that in all likelihood the difference in our weight and how the rifle recoiled for us made the difference.

Again thanks for sharing your experience with us sir, I appreciate you taking the time to do so and found it an educational read.

All the best to you folks this Fourth of July Jason.

Dwayne

Good stuff Dwayne. Thanks for the info and wishes.

I've recently started a new job and have access to lab grade accelerometers, data acquisition boards, and software for time and frequency based analysis. It would be interesting to quantify the recoil characteristics between different rifles and shooters. But its a lot more fun to "just shoot" without a bunch of lab crap (and data to process), and to be honest I still need to figure out how the heck to perform this new job and run this gear grin

I'm by no means a rifle expert, or the best shooter but from what I've seen... I've got a lot more confidence in modern rifles than I do in most shooters in terms of their shooting ability, ability to keep emotions in check, and ability to check the obvious. It seems that many are too quick to blame the rifle without checking for obvious issues in rifle, mounts, scope, loads, rest, etc. I'm sure there are truly bad rifles/barrels but I haven't seen one in at least 30+ factory rifles with hunting grade accuracy being the expectation.

I can think of 15 rifles off the top of my head that I've "fixed" or helped friends fix. In the end, none needed any real fixing... maybe minor tinkering. In most cases the shooter needed fixing, a better rest, a new load, or hardware tightened. In all cases, the shooter lost confidence quickly and almost always blamed the rifle.

I think we are quick to unfairly blame a rifle, even after what seems like extensive load development, when we don't think about "how" the rifle system moves under recoil or the barrel responds (distorts) to different loads. Some buds have been meticulous with scope mounting, reloading, etc. but are careless in their rest selection and natural point-of-aim. A good rest and consistent shooting form has "cured" several "bad" rifles. I also suspect that "good" loads are more forgiving to inconsistent shooting form and variable whole body recoil behavior off the rests.

Another thing... as I've been helping others shoot at medium ranges, out to 600 yards, we are seeing that their skills and sometimes loads are not as good as they thought. Shooting a really good 3-shot group at 100 yards on occasional isn't the same as being able to stack 10 at 100 on a regular basis or being able to keep shots on a 6-8" target at 500 yards on a regular basis. Its easy to blame the poor performance on "having a bad day" but its really more likely that the rifle/scope/load/shooter have never really been proven and simply false confidence in those occasional lucky 3-shot groups with no real evidence of solid performance. So reports of inaccurate rifles won't mean much unless we know the shooter is skilled enough to validate the rifle.

As my shooting skills, reloading skills, and ability to look for obvious problems have improved, I've noticed that there are no more "bad" shooting days. Things just work as they should and if they don't, there is an issue I've overlooked or a mechanical/component problem.

This has been my experience, with factory hunting rifles with reasonable accuracy expectations. These same ideas are known to many others that shoot a lot, but I don't think many others pay enough attention.

Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MGunns
Maybe I'm nuts but when I buy a rifle I expect it to shoot. Maybe Ive just been lucky.

No you are not nuts. I feel the same way. That's why I am just going to buy next rifle and take it right to the gunsmith. I am going to let him tell me why it will or won't shoot. Then fix it or not. For the kind of money these manufactures get i can see why the cheaper rifles are so popular.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockdoc
just about every new, or used, rifle I have had has needed work. Bedding to start with.

I must be lucky then, NEVER had to do anything to any rifle I've purchased, new or used...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bedded my Montana today. Will be shooting her later this week. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bedded my Montana today. Will be shooting her later this week. Hopefully it will do the trick.

I would be surprised if that didn't do the trick.
Good luck.

Jack O'Connor
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Went back to the range this morning to test the new bedding job. Still shooting 2-3" groups with most but really likes the 139gr Scenars. Mind you all I shot today was 140gr IL, 139gr Scenars and 130gr Berger VLD under one load of H4350.

I know it can shoot with the right combination. This one might be a bit pickier than other for loads.

This is 5 rounds with the 139gr Scenar. The bottom one I pulled after shooting my Savage 35Rem bolt action, damn accutrigger.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.