Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have I mentioned that I like Idaho? grin

Garden Valley School Dist. buys rifles, will warn visitors building is 'armed'.

GARDEN VALLEY, Idaho (KBOI) -- The Garden Valley School district is arming itself and a handful of staff members with guns in case of potential security threats moving forward.

According to the district's school board minutes, the district has purchased four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammunition.

The district is also considering spending up to $2,000 to purchase extra magazine rounds and body armor vests, according to school board documents. Each rifle was purchased for $680.

"We just have to protect our kids and we didn't want to do it in a haphazard way," Marc Gee, Garden Valley School District superintendent, told KBOI 2News Friday.

School officials recently completed training with deputies from the Boise County Sheriff's Office this month. Signs will also be posted at both entrances at the K-12 school warning visitors that "our school is armed."

Gee told KBOI 2News that the Garden Valley community has welcomed the added security plans.

"It's been positive -- I have yet to have a community member come in and say 'why are you doing this?'" Gee said.

Garden Valley is about an hour's drive north of Boise via the Banks Lowman Road. It's set in a mountainous rural location with just over 200 students.

"(If something were to happen) we would have a 30-45 minute potential wait time for police to arrive," Gee said. "The loss of life would be just enormous."

Gee said the district worked with its legal counsel and the sheriff's office to put the plan in place.

"Obviously, we hope we never have to use them," he said.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad the world has come to this but good on them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome. I would love to move a few miles to the right also. Idaho is a cool place to visit.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good for them! But the tinfoil crowd will be along soon I suspect.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's about damn time common sense prevailed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sad that it is necessary, but good on them being pro-active. Not just wishing they had done something like this after the fact.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Garden Valley School Dist. Just got scratched off the cowards list.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well I certainly hope the Garden Valley School District did not buy Ruger Mini-14 rifles. Everyone knows they are inaccurate and would be worthless for self defense in a closed environment such as a school room or hallway. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since this is Garden Valley we're talking about they probably got some .30-30 lever actions... wink

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they were AR's of some type.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Since this is Garden Valley we're talking about they probably got some .30-30 lever actions... wink ...

That's my best defense rifle/carbine.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious if they bought them just 'cause they could or maybe they got some grant for "security equipment" and while the .gov grantees figured it would be spent for gates or cameras or something benign, the Garden Valley folks figured, "hey, why not get some guns?"

For you folks unfamiliar with the place, which I'm sure is most of you, Garden Valley is a little sort of spread out town sitting in a picturesque wide valley up in the mountains north of Boise. It's one of those places where truly, nothing ever happens. A co-worker has a weekend home up there and his biggest problem with vandalism this year is the herds of elk tearing up his lawn as they travel through. While it's always good to have your weapons close at hand, the school could probably ring a bell or sound an alarm and in about 5 minutes have 80% of the population show up with more armament than an Infantry company.

But still, in an age where kids eating Pop Tarts into pistol shapes are suspended and "guns on campus" are about as popular in most locales nationwide as Hillary would be at an NRA convention, it's pretty neat that a school district made a formal statement that not only are guns on school grounds not a bad thing, they are making a pro-active statement that they will not be passive victims.

Gotta love rural Idaho and rural Idahoans. smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was in the middle of flipping channels off of Channel 2 where they were making a federal case over having guns in the school. But in the flash as I hit the channel changer it looked like some AR's. Good for them. But they are going to catch some major grief from the local libs.

Channel 7 says they are getting support. Apparently the Sheriff suggested it. I like that.

Last edited by Cariboujack; 05/29/15.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Garden Valley is in Boise County.
Boise city is in Ada County.
Two completely different worlds.
I have lived in both, and will Take Boise County ten fold over the city of Boise which is avoided if possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2000 rounds?? Hope that's not their training allotment! If it is, maybe we can donate some more to them. Haha

This is an awesome story though. I bet a lot of libs across the country are completely melting down over this

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pira114
2000 rounds?? Hope that's not their training allotment! If it is, maybe we can donate some more to them. Haha

This is an awesome story though. I bet a lot of libs across the country are completely melting down over this

Exactly. Don't you know they have their tails in a knot? grin

Liberals are convinced that AR15's animate themselves and shoot people...

Idiots.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This has been in plans for a number of years. I am good family friends with some involved and was approached with a "what to do" inquiry about their security concerns. The suggestion was made, rather than just arming random faculty with no training, instead to have volunteers go through background checks and then get training along the lines of reserve sheriff's deputies.

That way not only would they understand legal standards, but understand exactly how LE will respond.

The idea was taken to the sheriff and while not entirely supportive, they finally did do mostly as requested.

Personally I am very glad to see this come to fruition after a long period of discussion.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are two factions that carry guns now.

The lawful and the unlawful... OR the good, and the evil.

Liberals can't do a single thing about the evil that carry guns to do their bidding, so they restrict the good from protecting themselves and/or others against the evil.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Good to hear some backstory from Mackay and a good 2A story overall although most sound bites on the news will fall significantly short of providing the salient facts.

I believe they bought some sort of carbine (9mm?) which given their rural setting seems to be a good compromise IMHO.

Makes me proud to be an Idahoan!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Used to live and work out of Crouch and took my honeymoon on packsaddle creek. I can see why they did what they did. Crouch/Garden Valley has a lot of people who commute to Boise for work and tons of people on the weekends. It's just to close to Boise in my opinion to be blinded by the happinings of a big city.

Crouch /Idaho City and Horseshoe Bend, all in Boise County are subject to Boise and it's immigration of the not so cool croud.

Still rather have my old 6B plates than 1A or 2C. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure the Feds will move in real soon to fix it for ya.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.