Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have seen on several web sites for oil change intravals of 10000-25000 (OR) once a year. Why would you change your oil that is recommended for 25000 miles at 15000 just because it has been in there for a year?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess same reason some people (for whatever reason) still swear by every 3000 miles. What a waste of money and oil.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depending on location changes in temperature create condensation that accumulates in vehicle

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On cool days,watch a vehicle going down the road after 1st starting. Notice that dribble of water coming out of the tail pipe. Then figure out where that water comes from.
In additon all these 15-20,000 mile fans probably do not change the air filter still at 10-15K intervals as recommded.Some of that dust gets in the oil that filters do not all filter out.

These fancy oils, although they do not break down,they still get contaminated. Water and dirt are the cupprits. But hey, it's your$40-$50 K vehicle. Save that $50 for an oil change.Once a year for 20 years will save you a whopping $1000,if your engine lasts that long.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That makes sense. I just couldn't understand why you should change oil that had hardly any miles because its year was up like an expiration date. I can see moisture being the reason, dust not so much as I keep filters changed regularly.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mohick
I guess same reason some people (for whatever reason) still swear by every 3000 miles. What a waste of money and oil.

Condensation as a byproduct of combustion and temperature changes from heat cycling. Said moisture is very acidic and doesn't really do your engine any good if left in there for long periods of time.

Last edited by badger; 05/30/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
On cool days,watch a vehicle going down the road after 1st starting. Notice that dribble of water coming out of the tail pipe. Then figure out where that water comes from.
In additon all these 15-20,000 mile fans probably do not change the air filter still at 10-15K intervals as recommded.Some of that dust gets in the oil that filters do not all filter out.

These fancy oils, although they do not break down,they still get contaminated. Water and dirt are the cupprits. But hey, it's your$40-$50 K vehicle. Save that $50 for an oil change.Once a year for 20 years will save you a whopping $1000,if your engine lasts that long.

Well I've been doing that on my vehicles...

a 94, so that is 21 years old...

a 93, so that is 22 years old...

an 88, so that is 27 years old...

and yeah, the engines have lasted that long and don't have sludge issues, as I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The condensation is not good, but if you drive your vehicle regularly for any appreciable amount of time it will burn all that condensation out and it's not really an issue. If your vehicle sits for long periods of time or only gets driven for really short trips where it doesn't get a chance to reach operating temperature then it becomes more of an issue.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My truck does sit for long periods of time, 09 but only has 25K on it. But when I do drive it it is usually not short trips and is usually highway miles pulling my jon boat to a hopeful honey hole.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll be lucky to get 6000 miles on my truck this year. Down from 40K a year average when working.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it depends more on how you drive your truck than how long or how many miles. if you use your rig for short hops around town or in dusty/dirty conditions, more frequent oil changes are called for. if you get the motor up to operating temps for long periods of time and it sees mostly highway miles, extended oil changes may be fine. the heat will boil the condensation out of the crankcase.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K

TFF!!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K

TFF!!!

Why's that so Friggin Funny Scheiss4Brains?

you probably just take your car to the shop, as putting gas in the tank and the key in the ignition is about the limit of your automotive knowledge...

betcha I get a lot more miles and reliability out of vehicles that you ever have...

so laugh your ass off and even piss in your pants from it...
that would seem par for the course for you...

you really like to think you are something special don't ya..
cause mommy told ya you were? yeah that's probably it..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're a bullshit filled floppy titted gasbag.

I run rigs harder than you can ever dream of, and have NEVER needed to replace valve cover gaskets as a routine maintenance item. Even under severe duty schedules.. Nor has ANYONE I've ever known.

You're just in love with your own lies and bullshit, and everyone knows it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
YOu really are a SCREWed in the head A/HOLe....

"bullshit filled Floppy titted Gasbag?".. you been holding onto that one, for just this occasion since the 3rd grade? sounds like something a juvenile would come up with, and think it would insult someone... coming from you... well, what could one expect...

and yeah, I pull valve covers off every 50K... and replace them, as I inspect what it looks like under there...

ya think I said that to attempt to impress anyone? on the friggin internet no less? you really are a friggin MORON, even by Callifornia standards....

Here's something even funnier then, I also pull the brake pads out and replace them every 50K... Life time warranty, so it doesn't cost anything but my time anyway...

Here's another laugh, I even change the tranny fluid in an automatic every 20K....and in a manual, to include the rear end and front diff on the 4 WD every 50K also...change the final drive fluid in the automatics every 50 K also... and change spark plugs, rotor and distributor caps every 50K...

and I don't brag that I beat the crap out of my vehicles...such as you do...Congrats are in order?

So Laugh Away Schitt4Brains....I sure hope I get to meet you face to face someday, to see if you are really as big of a dumbass in person as you like to play on line...

Put that in your TFF note book...then you can review it at your convenience...

Have a nice day Schitt4Brains... and have someone pull that corn cob out of your AHole... maybe you'll not be such a little bitch all the friggin time..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been getting 75K out of my valve cover gaskets.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Here's something even funnier then, I also pull the brake pads out and replace them every 50K... Life time warranty, so it doesn't cost anything but my time anyway...

Battery at the same time?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've been getting 75K out of my valve cover gaskets.

you are really living on the edge. my goodness, what if one were to seep a little bit?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread is funnier than fuuck!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I put new air-make that fresh-in my tires wither they need it or not.

Last edited by battue; 06/05/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.