Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know, after contemplating all the council that some of my fellow forum members have extended here, I have decided I need to amend my ways....

At the top of the list, I have Rauncho Bozo to thank... I mean, changing valve cover gaskets every 50,000 miles and doing all of this preventative maintenance for all of these years.... What was I thinking...

I mean, as someone pointed out, who has the time?

Like every 2 1/2 or 3 years I burn up at least 20 minutes or so changing those valve cover gaskets. That's 20 minutes I would never get back.

And then someone mentioned the Expense....

That Valve Cover gasket costs at least $12 on the 4 Cylinder engines, and like $20 on the V 6 Engines...I mean, that's a lot of money every 2 or 3 years!!

Who in the hell needs to get 350,000 to 400,000 Plus miles out of an engine and vehicle anyway????

And then Rauncho is right, who cares about leaking valve gaskets... certainly no one he knows... and we know all the high quality people a guy of his personality probably works with.

I mean if you have leaking valve gaskets, that helps you get the maximum return on your investment for your engine oil. It will allow you to be able to know when it is time to change it, when your oil light comes on. Its at that point that you know that you have gotten the full life value of that engine oil. Think of the resources that saves our nation.

Preventive maintenance is a really stupid Idea. Think of all the truck fleets, auto fleets and commercial organizations that do so. And as we all know, the Corporate World is ALWAYS wrong... at least to the all knowing liberals and Democrats.. so it must be true.

And to think of all the preventative maintenance we did in the military on equipment. what a waste of tax payers dollars. And all the maintenance I did on medical equipment continually in the hospital... Think of all the money we could have saved the tax payers, by not using septic techniques in wound care, in the OR, time wasted sterilizing everything.

Yes, I need to thank Rauncho Bozo and the above forum members for pointing out the errors of my ways... I stand totally in awe of their wise council.

Is this a great web site or not?

Thank very much gentlemen.. I have been saved...and I owe it all to YOU!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've been getting 75K out of my valve cover gaskets.

you are really living on the edge. my goodness, what if one were to seep a little bit?

It is a calculated risk... dust could collect on the leaked oil, and then the whole vehicle would be ruined.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
I put new air-make that fresh-in my tires wither they need it or not.
A friend who owned a front end shop bought a used high end VW from a customer. The guy had kept meticulous maintenance records which showed that he changed the air in the tires every 25k.

Some tires shops (including Costco) fill the tires with nitrogen to eliminate moisture in the air. But, that's a whole new topic.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I figured he was ex-military got a B I L that way 30 yrs in air force. I can follow him around and never have to buy anything 2500-3000 mile oil change so his Mobil 1 is better than what I can afford. Two years max on batteries, guess it comes from military not having anything better to do and unlimited funds for 100$ hammers and barrels of oil to waste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JHC, if the valve covers don't leak, don't fook with them. Lots of other gaskets in there. Want to pull the oil pan and timing covers too? And the guys at the parts store just love tight wads who bone them for a battery and brake pads every two years, needed or not.

I've done lots of work for fleet and construction, they change schit when it's at the wear limit, service point, or broke. They don't get .gov money to do routine crap just because the calendar and some jar head says it's time.

If you HAVE to replace valve covets every 50k, get a vehicle with hydraulic lifters.

Sean
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've been getting 75K out of my valve cover gaskets.

Good lord I haven't had to chance a valve cover gasket in anything that hasn't been sitting in a field for less than 35 years.

The only reason you should have to change it is if you had it off or put in on wrong in the first place.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Sonofabitch, John, Rancho must have his own address in your head! Talk about TFF. crazy

ya gotta be kidding....

known guys like him my entire life... I'm sure most everyone else has also...

he was the little weasel who was always the tattleTale in Jr High and High School...

College always had one like him in the dorm....

Always had one in every unit in the Army... they were the type that you hoped to never go into combat with.... if you were under fire or heaven forbid got captured by the enemy, he was the type that would sell out everyone else to save his own fanny....1st Sgts use to point them out all the time...

He's the type that is always the instigator, and then the agitator.....

He can get away with this crap on the internet.... because elsewhere his type usually found their asses kicked and put in a dumpster or had his head shoved down the commode full of urine, and then flushed.....

The guy is a friggin MORON...and a spineless little AHole.. nothing more, nothing less...

Wow...His tent IS pitched in your head.

You guys can change valve covers together! lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

Who in the hell needs to get 350,000 to 400,000 Plus miles out of an engine and vehicle anyway????

Ok, I just checked with the our vehicle maintenance manager. He's in charge of over 1400 vehicles at 6 garages. Most of the diesels don't get rebuilt until they hit 500K miles.

I'd put the maintenance program up against any in the country as well as the documentation systems they use. Some of them are updated daily by a gps system when they're parked for the night.

Valve cover gaskets isn't even on the list of hundreds or things that are on the maintenance list to check. A grand total of ZERO vehicles have this as a preventative maintenance item. ZERO.

Also, in this position for 28 years, they've never encountered heavy fire, where they thought the maintenance program was going to be an issue for safe return to the garage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mohick
I figured he was ex-military got a B I L that way 30 yrs in air force. I can follow him around and never have to buy anything 2500-3000 mile oil change so his Mobil 1 is better than what I can afford. Two years max on batteries, guess it comes from military not having anything better to do and unlimited funds for 100$ hammers and barrels of oil to waste.

yeah I've got a military back ground... plus grew up as a military dependent... Does that present a problem?

I was Medical Corp also.... you want to go to a hospital or clinic that they don't do routine maintenance on equipment?
Plenty of stuff they do it after each use, so it is not only in good working order, but is sterilized if need be for the next time its needed...

Are they a penny wise and a dollar foolish in the military... at times...yeah

but I've never worked for any corporate, large or small, that was not just as bad...

but I really think you boys are hilarious to stress or even give a second thought to someone changing their valve cover gaskets twice in 100,000 miles.. who you don't even know and lives a whole bunch of states away from you anyway...

I mean, Rauncho Bozo has nothing better to do than complain about stupid schitt... follow most of his posts... If he isn't leg humping Shrapnel, he's busy searching posts of a certain list of people, just to piss on what they have to say, and act like he is the almighty all knowing guru of life... it justifies his otherwise worthless useless existence...

but if it really bothers some of you girls that much, I'll skip the next time, just for YOU! Will that make ya feel better???

Glad to help out....

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
SMH

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Regular maintenance is the key. TMMV as to when these changes are made for each of us.

It becomes all academic though, when the neutrinos pass through......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I replace front and rear seals, head gasket and transmission every 43K.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And not your valve stem caps?

you're obviously not ex-military.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My vehicle has tracks, not tires you idiot...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uber...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm changing mine every 51,000 from now on...

since evidently doing it every 50,000 gives Rauncho Bozo a hissy fit and causes him to pour his vodka and grapefruit drink all over himself, while getting drunk in front of his keyboard...

in fact I am changing a set that doesn't need it, but doing so in his honor since its fathers day on Sunday...

You can thank me later there Rauncho Bozo...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How often do you change your air filter?

(yes this is a loaded question... hint hint)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
When the filter is loaded?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
When it looks dirty.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I drain all the air out of all 4 of my tires at 5K and replace it with synthetic air. Seems to ride better when the air is not dirty, and also increases fuel mileage due to not having to rotate the extra condensation and debris that gets trapped inside. Also I only run tires 20K miles then change them when they become worn.

Fück Joe byron
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 82 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.