Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up.

That was absolutely an oversight on my part, and was truly embarrassing. Didn't check the filter (it even has the filter minder) and was towing the boat with a truck load of people up a highway on-ramp. Boost starts kicking up, and then *zero engine noise* except for the spinning of a turbo. And then it takes off again, and does it again. Limped back and got a buddy's truck and went fishing. I am probably in the "change it too often" group now.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
When it looks dirty.

Buzz...

(or half credit)

Ive seen engine air filters in lab test and on off road equipment and most people dont know what dirty looks like.

I was hoping our military guy would tell us how they handled air filters in sandy places.

I ride dirt bikes, I know what a dirty filter looks like. But I don't let the filter on my truck get as bad as my bikes.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up.

That was absolutely an oversight on my part, and was truly embarrassing. Didn't check the filter (it even has the filter minder) and was towing the boat with a truck load of people up a highway on-ramp. Boost starts kicking up, and then *zero engine noise* except for the spinning of a turbo. And then it takes off again, and does it again. Limped back and got a buddy's truck and went fishing. I am probably in the "change it too often" group now.

It's been a long time since my diesel ran a stock intake. An aftermarket system will definitely add some power even to a stock engine. And with those oiled filters, it's definitely good to clean them every 10K miles or so. Even 5K miles isn't too often. On one dyno session the filter didn't look particularly dirty but cleaning it was good for about 25hp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 horse power on the dynamometer ain't worth schit to engine longevity. It means more dirt and dust can get past your filter until it loads up to peak efficiency.

Your usual advise and knowledge is worth about as much as Shefires.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by calikooknic
25 horse power on the dynamometer ain't worth schit to engine longevity. It means more dirt and dust can get past your filter until it loads up to peak efficiency.

No, it means less restriction and more air. These filters aren't the old foam [bleep], they don't want buildup and filter a ton better. And real dirty filters can choke off more than 25hp.

As usual you shoot your mouth off with no clue about what you're talking.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackman

No, it means less restriction and more air. These filters aren't the old foam [bleep], they don't want buildup and filter a ton better. And real dirty filters can choke off more than 25hp.

As usual, your talking schit about which no one cares.
Most aftermarket systems suck. You can get as much "performance" with the stickers in the window for $2.00

"Most" people over oil them and create more problems with MAF, and AIT sensors.

This is not about drag or dick races.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackman

1) As usual, your talking schit about which no one cares.

2) Most aftermarket systems suck. You can get as much "performance" with the stickers in the window for $2.00

3) "Most" people over oil them and create more problems with MAF, and AIT sensors.

4) This is not about drag or dick races.

1) Several people cared enough to mention it. As usual you're just looking to argue.

2) Some systems are better than others. The good ones are very good. Get yourself more informed. And stickers got nothin to do with it.

3) "Most???" "Some" people over oil and learn quick. It's not rocket science.

4) Same principle, different degree.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bad hair day at the Mall?

Ya know some of you self righteous Looney Tunes, sure are full of yourselves....

Its amazing that over the last 35 plus years I have been putting high mileage on vehicles with little break downs, mechanical problems etc....just makes me wonder how I survived without all your inputs....

while down at the mall, why don't you stop at the San Francisco Men's Shop, buy yourself one of those big large...( Bleep)....
and then go home and FY real good....

maybe tomorrow you'll be less of a CA Schitthead...and be happy like a SAN FRAN Sissy Boy..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Ding ding ding...
Those oil filters you self clean are only about 90% efficient and pass a lot of dirt compared to a 99.99 % efficient cellulose element.

They don't become efficient until they are loaded.

Its amazing 25 HP shows up for a little restriction... which means people are running them well past the engine restriction limits.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

Ya know some of you self righteous Looney Tunes, sure are full of yourselves....

the irony of this cracks me up.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ding ding ding...
Those oil filters you self clean are only about 90% efficient and pass a lot of dirt compared to a 99.99 % efficient cellulose element.

They don't become efficient until they are loaded.

Its amazing 25 HP shows up for a little restriction... which means people are running them well past the engine restriction limits.

There's been a lot of stuff written about this and several tests. The filtration difference between GM/OEM diesel filters and wet (cotton) filters is nowhere near 10%. It's anywhere from 1/3 of 1% to 3/4 of 1% depending on which one. Tests I've read, most are over 99% efficient at catching grit except for a couple......worst being K&N.

The oil in wet filters is what catches particles. They do NOT gain efficiency by being loaded. They're not like those original foam K&N's from 50yrs. ago.

Dry filters, wet filters.........I like the re-usability of wet filters. Mine are AFE and S&B.

I was surprised also. A couple pulls around 690.....the filter looked ok but it was taken off and cleaned anyway......next pull was 717. A modified engine, but It's about air volume. It's quite a bit more now but even a stock diesel engine will feel if the air filter is really dirty. Same with a fuel filter.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Can you provide links to these makers and the engineering data sections of their application books?

I'm curious how they rate against a Donaldson, Mann & Hummel, or Fleetguard air filter.

I pulled my 90% figure from previous research on K&N filters, but they took that number off the website since then.

General statement...
If these oil type filters were so great, why dont you see the high dollar real world working diesel equipment running them (think , cat, deere, case, etc)? That's where you have real need for horsepower and reliability for expensive equipment and maintaining wet filters is a nightmare.
Quoting airflow is questionable because you can only pull so much air volume on a naturally aspirated diesel and a turbo can only push so much air into the engine. The engine takes what it needs.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just had the Toyota repainted, it hit 40K and it was time. When I was in the military we repainted the ships every other year, otherwise the rust would get out of control.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just hope you rotated your spark plugs so they will wear evenly as advised...

and definitely don't forget those valve cover gaskets in 10,000 more miles, if you want your engine to last...

( but don't tell Rauncho BoZo, or he'll have another hissy fit...)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
who's having the hissy fits?

hey floppy, make sure you check the expiration dates on those replacement valve cover gaskets. you'll get mad props at the local pep boys for being a pro.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
who's having the hissy fits? YOU

hey floppy, make sure you check the expiration dates on those replacement valve cover gaskets. you'll get mad props at the local pep boys for being a pro.

GOOOOD Morning...'BoZo

We don't have Pep Boys around here....nor do we need them... cuts down on the Illegal Immigrant and transplanted Californian problems...

but I'll take your advice and check those expiration dates...

thanks for the tip...what would we all do without ya?

have a great day, beating your truck "harder than I'd ever DREAM OF"

Best regards!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

General statement...
If these oil type filters were so great, why dont you see the high dollar real world working diesel equipment running them (think , cat, deere, case, etc)? That's where you have real need for horsepower and reliability for expensive equipment and maintaining wet filters is a nightmare.

Quoting airflow is questionable because you can only pull so much air volume on a naturally aspirated diesel and a turbo can only push so much air into the engine. The engine takes what it needs.

You answered your own question. Dry filters work as well and they're throwaway when dirty. I like reusable, throwaway is easier to service.

"Naturally aspirated diesel?" Who even uses them now?
A turbo forces air into the engine and the engine uses what's it's given. Diesels can take a lot of air.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What about K&N oil filters?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

they make one of the better oil filters out there.

I like the wrench nut on the end, too.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by toad

they make one of the better oil filters out there.

I like the wrench nut on the end, too.

an idea taken from Hastings, which sadly quit doing it back in the mid to late 80s....

too bad a lot of other filter manufacturers don't do it... it is a simple but highly useful idea....

but then the industry seems to want us to 'take it to the dealer'...

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.