Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have seen on several web sites for oil change intravals of 10000-25000 (OR) once a year. Why would you change your oil that is recommended for 25000 miles at 15000 just because it has been in there for a year?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess same reason some people (for whatever reason) still swear by every 3000 miles. What a waste of money and oil.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depending on location changes in temperature create condensation that accumulates in vehicle

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On cool days,watch a vehicle going down the road after 1st starting. Notice that dribble of water coming out of the tail pipe. Then figure out where that water comes from.
In additon all these 15-20,000 mile fans probably do not change the air filter still at 10-15K intervals as recommded.Some of that dust gets in the oil that filters do not all filter out.

These fancy oils, although they do not break down,they still get contaminated. Water and dirt are the cupprits. But hey, it's your$40-$50 K vehicle. Save that $50 for an oil change.Once a year for 20 years will save you a whopping $1000,if your engine lasts that long.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That makes sense. I just couldn't understand why you should change oil that had hardly any miles because its year was up like an expiration date. I can see moisture being the reason, dust not so much as I keep filters changed regularly.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mohick
I guess same reason some people (for whatever reason) still swear by every 3000 miles. What a waste of money and oil.

Condensation as a byproduct of combustion and temperature changes from heat cycling. Said moisture is very acidic and doesn't really do your engine any good if left in there for long periods of time.

Last edited by badger; 05/30/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
On cool days,watch a vehicle going down the road after 1st starting. Notice that dribble of water coming out of the tail pipe. Then figure out where that water comes from.
In additon all these 15-20,000 mile fans probably do not change the air filter still at 10-15K intervals as recommded.Some of that dust gets in the oil that filters do not all filter out.

These fancy oils, although they do not break down,they still get contaminated. Water and dirt are the cupprits. But hey, it's your$40-$50 K vehicle. Save that $50 for an oil change.Once a year for 20 years will save you a whopping $1000,if your engine lasts that long.

Well I've been doing that on my vehicles...

a 94, so that is 21 years old...

a 93, so that is 22 years old...

an 88, so that is 27 years old...

and yeah, the engines have lasted that long and don't have sludge issues, as I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The condensation is not good, but if you drive your vehicle regularly for any appreciable amount of time it will burn all that condensation out and it's not really an issue. If your vehicle sits for long periods of time or only gets driven for really short trips where it doesn't get a chance to reach operating temperature then it becomes more of an issue.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My truck does sit for long periods of time, 09 but only has 25K on it. But when I do drive it it is usually not short trips and is usually highway miles pulling my jon boat to a hopeful honey hole.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll be lucky to get 6000 miles on my truck this year. Down from 40K a year average when working.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it depends more on how you drive your truck than how long or how many miles. if you use your rig for short hops around town or in dusty/dirty conditions, more frequent oil changes are called for. if you get the motor up to operating temps for long periods of time and it sees mostly highway miles, extended oil changes may be fine. the heat will boil the condensation out of the crankcase.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K

TFF!!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K

TFF!!!

Why's that so Friggin Funny Scheiss4Brains?

you probably just take your car to the shop, as putting gas in the tank and the key in the ignition is about the limit of your automotive knowledge...

betcha I get a lot more miles and reliability out of vehicles that you ever have...

so laugh your ass off and even piss in your pants from it...
that would seem par for the course for you...

you really like to think you are something special don't ya..
cause mommy told ya you were? yeah that's probably it..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're a bullshit filled floppy titted gasbag.

I run rigs harder than you can ever dream of, and have NEVER needed to replace valve cover gaskets as a routine maintenance item. Even under severe duty schedules.. Nor has ANYONE I've ever known.

You're just in love with your own lies and bullshit, and everyone knows it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
YOu really are a SCREWed in the head A/HOLe....

"bullshit filled Floppy titted Gasbag?".. you been holding onto that one, for just this occasion since the 3rd grade? sounds like something a juvenile would come up with, and think it would insult someone... coming from you... well, what could one expect...

and yeah, I pull valve covers off every 50K... and replace them, as I inspect what it looks like under there...

ya think I said that to attempt to impress anyone? on the friggin internet no less? you really are a friggin MORON, even by Callifornia standards....

Here's something even funnier then, I also pull the brake pads out and replace them every 50K... Life time warranty, so it doesn't cost anything but my time anyway...

Here's another laugh, I even change the tranny fluid in an automatic every 20K....and in a manual, to include the rear end and front diff on the 4 WD every 50K also...change the final drive fluid in the automatics every 50 K also... and change spark plugs, rotor and distributor caps every 50K...

and I don't brag that I beat the crap out of my vehicles...such as you do...Congrats are in order?

So Laugh Away Schitt4Brains....I sure hope I get to meet you face to face someday, to see if you are really as big of a dumbass in person as you like to play on line...

Put that in your TFF note book...then you can review it at your convenience...

Have a nice day Schitt4Brains... and have someone pull that corn cob out of your AHole... maybe you'll not be such a little bitch all the friggin time..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been getting 75K out of my valve cover gaskets.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here's something even funnier then, I also pull the brake pads out and replace them every 50K... Life time warranty, so it doesn't cost anything but my time anyway...

Battery at the same time?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2

you are really living on the edge. my goodness, what if one were to seep a little bit?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread is funnier than fuuck!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I put new air-make that fresh-in my tires wither they need it or not.

Last edited by battue; 06/05/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fill your tires with Nitrogen!

At least 78% anyway.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Battery at the same time?

naw ,

every 3 years regardless of mileage...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
This thread is funnier than fuuck!

what has this got to do with your sex life?

and are you sure ya wanna divulge that on the World Wide Web?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Guess I'm the only one that believes in routine maintenance and doing it yourself, so you know its done and done the way you want it done instead of relying on some grease monkey...

Putting 40K a year on vehicles, and a lot of that is road miles out in the middle of nowhere.. down from when I use to put 55 and 60K a year on them... they don't leave me walking...

call it experience, gained in the military, in the business world, all boils down in the long run on reliability and return on your investment...

you take care of it, it takes care of you...

you ignore it, it'll leave ya walkin at the most inconvenient time possible...

I got nothing to apologize to a clown that may not understand that...ya never hurt something by giving it maintenance before it will break down instead only after it breaks down...

I get 350 to 400 K out of many vehicles in the past 30+ years...

so some moron wants to make fun of that, knock yourselves out..
cause you really think I care what some butthead in Montana or elsewhere thinks??? There my vehicles and I keep them running reliably....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, when those valve cover gaskets go, it's all over, shut her down..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, when those valve cover gaskets go, it's all over, shut her down..

Still dealing with Cabin Fever, even tho its now June...
and the wife "has a headache" ?? so nothing better to do..

Frustrating, ain't it?

so your moral to the story is,:

Rauncho Bozo recommends beat the crap out of your vehicles, maintenance is for sissies, and when it starts leaking oil, and burning off your manifold leaving smoke all over the place, and leaking on your driveway... just remember preventive maintenance is for sissies and losers...

got it Beaver Clever!

anything else you recommend we all ought to know?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see it in the local pep boys, "Well boys, it's time for me to change my valve cover gaskets!.."

The eyes go rolling into the street.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Did I tell you guys about how I rode my bike around England when I was a kid, warning of soviet attacks?"..

I'm betting the employee turnover at the local pep boys is killing them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We don't have Pep Boys around here Beave....

and it was NATO Alerts, that I rode my bike to notify 3 to 5 people about....

but you never being around the military or served in the military wouldn't have a damned clue about such things anyway... all safe and being a little weasel in Orange County...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can see it in the local pep boys, "Well boys, it's time for me to change my valve cover gaskets!.."

The eyes go rolling into the street.

Yeah I can hear the guys down at Pep Boys in your neighborhood...

"See that guy in that Abused Rig, with the oil burning behind it? Bet he never changes his oil or his valve covers... What a STupid Schitt.."

your response:

[Linked Image]

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"What's going on in the parking lot out there? Don't call the cops, boys, I'll take care of it!"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"What's going on in the parking lot out there? Don't call the cops, boys, I'll take care of it!"

Oh wait, never mind... that's just Rauncho Bozo stealing some grandma's hub caps...thinking they would look good on his "new to him" Yellow Avalanche, he bought not long ago...

your turn Cinderella...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I change bulbs in my dome light every 10K miles!! Not sure if they are good or bad, cause I never drive that truck at night. Some people just too much time to waste.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm gonna put you two in time out!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sonofabitch, John, Rancho must have his own address in your head! Talk about TFF. crazy

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Sonofabitch, John, Rancho must have his own address in your head! Talk about TFF. crazy

ya gotta be kidding....

known guys like him my entire life... I'm sure most everyone else has also...

he was the little weasel who was always the tattleTale in Jr High and High School...

College always had one like him in the dorm....

Always had one in every unit in the Army... they were the type that you hoped to never go into combat with.... if you were under fire or heaven forbid got captured by the enemy, he was the type that would sell out everyone else to save his own fanny....1st Sgts use to point them out all the time...

He's the type that is always the instigator, and then the agitator.....

He can get away with this crap on the internet.... because elsewhere his type usually found their asses kicked and put in a dumpster or had his head shoved down the commode full of urine, and then flushed.....

The guy is a friggin MORON...and a spineless little AHole.. nothing more, nothing less...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just keep on proving he has a permanent address in your skull. You're so far in denial it is friggin hilarious.

I couldn't care less about it one way or the other, but your comebacks are like a Safari Man saga. Just can't make this schit up.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I replace my valve stem covers every 3,000 miles.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I put gas in the tank when it is on empty, whether it needs it or not.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Always had one in every unit in the Army... they were the type that you hoped to never go into combat with.... if you were under fire or heaven forbid got captured by the enemy, he was the type that would sell out everyone else to save his own fanny....1st Sgts use to point them out all the time...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know, after contemplating all the council that some of my fellow forum members have extended here, I have decided I need to amend my ways....

At the top of the list, I have Rauncho Bozo to thank... I mean, changing valve cover gaskets every 50,000 miles and doing all of this preventative maintenance for all of these years.... What was I thinking...

I mean, as someone pointed out, who has the time?

Like every 2 1/2 or 3 years I burn up at least 20 minutes or so changing those valve cover gaskets. That's 20 minutes I would never get back.

And then someone mentioned the Expense....

That Valve Cover gasket costs at least $12 on the 4 Cylinder engines, and like $20 on the V 6 Engines...I mean, that's a lot of money every 2 or 3 years!!

Who in the hell needs to get 350,000 to 400,000 Plus miles out of an engine and vehicle anyway????

And then Rauncho is right, who cares about leaking valve gaskets... certainly no one he knows... and we know all the high quality people a guy of his personality probably works with.

I mean if you have leaking valve gaskets, that helps you get the maximum return on your investment for your engine oil. It will allow you to be able to know when it is time to change it, when your oil light comes on. Its at that point that you know that you have gotten the full life value of that engine oil. Think of the resources that saves our nation.

Preventive maintenance is a really stupid Idea. Think of all the truck fleets, auto fleets and commercial organizations that do so. And as we all know, the Corporate World is ALWAYS wrong... at least to the all knowing liberals and Democrats.. so it must be true.

And to think of all the preventative maintenance we did in the military on equipment. what a waste of tax payers dollars. And all the maintenance I did on medical equipment continually in the hospital... Think of all the money we could have saved the tax payers, by not using septic techniques in wound care, in the OR, time wasted sterilizing everything.

Yes, I need to thank Rauncho Bozo and the above forum members for pointing out the errors of my ways... I stand totally in awe of their wise council.

Is this a great web site or not?

Thank very much gentlemen.. I have been saved...and I owe it all to YOU!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by toad

you are really living on the edge. my goodness, what if one were to seep a little bit?

It is a calculated risk... dust could collect on the leaked oil, and then the whole vehicle would be ruined.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
I put new air-make that fresh-in my tires wither they need it or not.
A friend who owned a front end shop bought a used high end VW from a customer. The guy had kept meticulous maintenance records which showed that he changed the air in the tires every 25k.

Some tires shops (including Costco) fill the tires with nitrogen to eliminate moisture in the air. But, that's a whole new topic.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I figured he was ex-military got a B I L that way 30 yrs in air force. I can follow him around and never have to buy anything 2500-3000 mile oil change so his Mobil 1 is better than what I can afford. Two years max on batteries, guess it comes from military not having anything better to do and unlimited funds for 100$ hammers and barrels of oil to waste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JHC, if the valve covers don't leak, don't fook with them. Lots of other gaskets in there. Want to pull the oil pan and timing covers too? And the guys at the parts store just love tight wads who bone them for a battery and brake pads every two years, needed or not.

I've done lots of work for fleet and construction, they change schit when it's at the wear limit, service point, or broke. They don't get .gov money to do routine crap just because the calendar and some jar head says it's time.

If you HAVE to replace valve covets every 50k, get a vehicle with hydraulic lifters.

Sean
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good lord I haven't had to chance a valve cover gasket in anything that hasn't been sitting in a field for less than 35 years.

The only reason you should have to change it is if you had it off or put in on wrong in the first place.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

ya gotta be kidding....

known guys like him my entire life... I'm sure most everyone else has also...

he was the little weasel who was always the tattleTale in Jr High and High School...

College always had one like him in the dorm....

He's the type that is always the instigator, and then the agitator.....

He can get away with this crap on the internet.... because elsewhere his type usually found their asses kicked and put in a dumpster or had his head shoved down the commode full of urine, and then flushed.....

The guy is a friggin MORON...and a spineless little AHole.. nothing more, nothing less...

Wow...His tent IS pitched in your head.

You guys can change valve covers together! lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Who in the hell needs to get 350,000 to 400,000 Plus miles out of an engine and vehicle anyway????

Ok, I just checked with the our vehicle maintenance manager. He's in charge of over 1400 vehicles at 6 garages. Most of the diesels don't get rebuilt until they hit 500K miles.

I'd put the maintenance program up against any in the country as well as the documentation systems they use. Some of them are updated daily by a gps system when they're parked for the night.

Valve cover gaskets isn't even on the list of hundreds or things that are on the maintenance list to check. A grand total of ZERO vehicles have this as a preventative maintenance item. ZERO.

Also, in this position for 28 years, they've never encountered heavy fire, where they thought the maintenance program was going to be an issue for safe return to the garage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mohick
I figured he was ex-military got a B I L that way 30 yrs in air force. I can follow him around and never have to buy anything 2500-3000 mile oil change so his Mobil 1 is better than what I can afford. Two years max on batteries, guess it comes from military not having anything better to do and unlimited funds for 100$ hammers and barrels of oil to waste.

yeah I've got a military back ground... plus grew up as a military dependent... Does that present a problem?

I was Medical Corp also.... you want to go to a hospital or clinic that they don't do routine maintenance on equipment?
Plenty of stuff they do it after each use, so it is not only in good working order, but is sterilized if need be for the next time its needed...

Are they a penny wise and a dollar foolish in the military... at times...yeah

but I've never worked for any corporate, large or small, that was not just as bad...

but I really think you boys are hilarious to stress or even give a second thought to someone changing their valve cover gaskets twice in 100,000 miles.. who you don't even know and lives a whole bunch of states away from you anyway...

I mean, Rauncho Bozo has nothing better to do than complain about stupid schitt... follow most of his posts... If he isn't leg humping Shrapnel, he's busy searching posts of a certain list of people, just to piss on what they have to say, and act like he is the almighty all knowing guru of life... it justifies his otherwise worthless useless existence...

but if it really bothers some of you girls that much, I'll skip the next time, just for YOU! Will that make ya feel better???

Glad to help out....

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
SMH

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Regular maintenance is the key. TMMV as to when these changes are made for each of us.

It becomes all academic though, when the neutrinos pass through......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I replace front and rear seals, head gasket and transmission every 43K.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And not your valve stem caps?

you're obviously not ex-military.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My vehicle has tracks, not tires you idiot...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uber...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm changing mine every 51,000 from now on...

since evidently doing it every 50,000 gives Rauncho Bozo a hissy fit and causes him to pour his vodka and grapefruit drink all over himself, while getting drunk in front of his keyboard...

in fact I am changing a set that doesn't need it, but doing so in his honor since its fathers day on Sunday...

You can thank me later there Rauncho Bozo...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How often do you change your air filter?

(yes this is a loaded question... hint hint)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When the filter is loaded?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
When it looks dirty.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I drain all the air out of all 4 of my tires at 5K and replace it with synthetic air. Seems to ride better when the air is not dirty, and also increases fuel mileage due to not having to rotate the extra condensation and debris that gets trapped inside. Also I only run tires 20K miles then change them when they become worn.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I rotate the spark plugs around every 5000 to ensure they wear evenly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seafire is a National Treasure.
He takes his battery, plugs, brake pads, starter, alternator, fuel pump, tires, water pump, cooler, lights, a/c compressor and strap-on back to the vendor 1 day before the "warranty" is up for "return".......Free.....
Then brags about it......
on his way to church, scouts or to save another life.

A poster boy of the anyone but me should pay.........for everything.....
But look how many miles I get outta my rigs.

Have Dog

Will Travel

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I replace front and rear seals, head gasket and transmission every 43K.

Steel I was doing that at 43K but my truck was leaking 1.3127 ounces of oil between my 25K mi oil changes, so I rolled back to 42.7K on the seal changes. Lord knows I wouldn't want to spill a drop into this precious dirt we call earth.

Last edited by Hammer2506; 08/01/15.

Fück Joe byron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
Seafire is a National Treasure.
He takes his battery, plugs, brake pads, starter, alternator, fuel pump, tires, water pump, cooler, lights, a/c compressor and strap-on back to the vendor 1 day before the "warranty" is up for "return".......Free.....
Then brags about it......
on his way to church, scouts or to save another life.

A poster boy of the anyone but me should pay.........for everything.....
But look how many miles I get outta my rigs.

jealousy will get you nowhere Gilligan....

guess you boys have nothing better to do than to start up a thread 6 weeks after it sorta died....but I'm glad you YoYos did...its hilarious so many people get there shorts in such a knot because someone does routine maintenance on their vehicles, more often than they do....

but party on Boys... you've earned it...sorta like Waldorf and Statler wannabes from the Muppets....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Muppets?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Enough of the insults already. Sheesh. Either stick to the subject or just drop it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll drop it at 50k, whether it needs it or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am surely not jealous of stealing.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll drop it at 50k, whether it needs it or not.

Can’t even see 50K in the rearview anymore....just saying.. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I am surely not jealous of stealing.

Jesus will be proud of you....

you haven't been around for a while, yet you somehow managed to find THIS THREAD to put in your two cents after the fact, with your normal negative bravado.. just to impress your HERO Rauncho Bozo... Campfire Queen of Useless Posts?

Yeah, SNAFU for you pair of Keyboard Commandos...............

You Bozos need to round up two more Morons and you can call yourselves the Fantastic Four..... maybe a couple of Muppets aren't doing anything important in their lives either...

oh, and the odometer says 49,998.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Condensation

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Transmission fluid is almost identical to motor oil and nobody changes that onnce a year due to condensation. Maybe because the engine draws air into it and the tranny doesn't?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Transmission lubricants are not in contact with any part of the combustion cycle, e.g. exhaust gases.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know this is going to give Rauncho Bozo and Slavey heart attacks... but I drain the trans every 20K...runs me less than $100 every 100K.....

see how far $100 get you in tranny repair at 100K.....

but then they think REAL MEN don't do preventative maintenance..."Rocket Scientists" they are and all...

sure they think REAL MEN don't take a bath but once a week....as they know the old argument, "They will only get dirty again...."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Ding ding... when it is super loaded. Ideally it should have a restriction gauge or filter minder telling you its at 25 in h20 restriction.

Most cars dont have them, but I assume military vehicles do. Off road equipment normally does.

I was hoping the military trained guy would tell us how the army does it and how he does it.

Changing air filters too early or too often lets more dust in the engine than running them really really dirty.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by seal_billy
When it looks dirty.

Buzz...

(or half credit)

Ive seen engine air filters in lab test and on off road equipment and most people dont know what dirty looks like.

I was hoping our military guy would tell us how they handled air filters in sandy places.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no problem with maintenance.
I'm in the maintenance business.
I do have a problem with dishonesty.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, this was quite the thread.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by humdinger

Ding ding... when it is super loaded. Ideally it should have a restriction gauge or filter minder telling you its at 25 in h20 restriction.

Most cars dont have them, but I assume military vehicles do. Off road equipment normally does.

I was hoping the military trained guy would tell us how the army does it and how he does it.

Changing air filters too early or too often lets more dust in the engine than running them really really dirty.

I try to change the one on my diesel before the turbo collapses the intake. But sometimes I wait until after.

Is the theory that changing the air filter too often exposes the clean side to accumulated dust in the airbox/housing? Or does a new filter not filter as well as one that is "seasoned"?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I try to change the one on my diesel before the turbo collapses the intake. But sometimes I wait until after.

Is the theory that changing the air filter too often exposes the clean side to accumulated dust in the airbox/housing? Or does a new filter not filter as well as one that is "seasoned"?

Both. A new air filter has to load a little bit to get its best efficiency. The dust actually holds dust to itself better.

I would avoid the air intake hose collapse if you can. They should be designed for 35 in h20 or more and you start to flex fatigue the hose and risk dusting eventually. Air filters I spec usually have 100 in-h20 collapse so the hose will go before the filter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up.

That was absolutely an oversight on my part, and was truly embarrassing. Didn't check the filter (it even has the filter minder) and was towing the boat with a truck load of people up a highway on-ramp. Boost starts kicking up, and then *zero engine noise* except for the spinning of a turbo. And then it takes off again, and does it again. Limped back and got a buddy's truck and went fishing. I am probably in the "change it too often" group now.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
When it looks dirty.

Buzz...

(or half credit)

Ive seen engine air filters in lab test and on off road equipment and most people dont know what dirty looks like.

I was hoping our military guy would tell us how they handled air filters in sandy places.

I ride dirt bikes, I know what a dirty filter looks like. But I don't let the filter on my truck get as bad as my bikes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting, thanks for the follow-up.

That was absolutely an oversight on my part, and was truly embarrassing. Didn't check the filter (it even has the filter minder) and was towing the boat with a truck load of people up a highway on-ramp. Boost starts kicking up, and then *zero engine noise* except for the spinning of a turbo. And then it takes off again, and does it again. Limped back and got a buddy's truck and went fishing. I am probably in the "change it too often" group now.

It's been a long time since my diesel ran a stock intake. An aftermarket system will definitely add some power even to a stock engine. And with those oiled filters, it's definitely good to clean them every 10K miles or so. Even 5K miles isn't too often. On one dyno session the filter didn't look particularly dirty but cleaning it was good for about 25hp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 horse power on the dynamometer ain't worth schit to engine longevity. It means more dirt and dust can get past your filter until it loads up to peak efficiency.

Your usual advise and knowledge is worth about as much as Shefires.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
25 horse power on the dynamometer ain't worth schit to engine longevity. It means more dirt and dust can get past your filter until it loads up to peak efficiency.

No, it means less restriction and more air. These filters aren't the old foam [bleep], they don't want buildup and filter a ton better. And real dirty filters can choke off more than 25hp.

As usual you shoot your mouth off with no clue about what you're talking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackman

No, it means less restriction and more air. These filters aren't the old foam [bleep], they don't want buildup and filter a ton better. And real dirty filters can choke off more than 25hp.

As usual, your talking schit about which no one cares.
Most aftermarket systems suck. You can get as much "performance" with the stickers in the window for $2.00

"Most" people over oil them and create more problems with MAF, and AIT sensors.

This is not about drag or dick races.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

1) As usual, your talking schit about which no one cares.

2) Most aftermarket systems suck. You can get as much "performance" with the stickers in the window for $2.00

3) "Most" people over oil them and create more problems with MAF, and AIT sensors.

4) This is not about drag or dick races.

1) Several people cared enough to mention it. As usual you're just looking to argue.

2) Some systems are better than others. The good ones are very good. Get yourself more informed. And stickers got nothin to do with it.

3) "Most???" "Some" people over oil and learn quick. It's not rocket science.

4) Same principle, different degree.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bad hair day at the Mall?

Ya know some of you self righteous Looney Tunes, sure are full of yourselves....

Its amazing that over the last 35 plus years I have been putting high mileage on vehicles with little break downs, mechanical problems etc....just makes me wonder how I survived without all your inputs....

while down at the mall, why don't you stop at the San Francisco Men's Shop, buy yourself one of those big large...( Bleep)....
and then go home and FY real good....

maybe tomorrow you'll be less of a CA Schitthead...and be happy like a SAN FRAN Sissy Boy..

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Ding ding ding...
Those oil filters you self clean are only about 90% efficient and pass a lot of dirt compared to a 99.99 % efficient cellulose element.

They don't become efficient until they are loaded.

Its amazing 25 HP shows up for a little restriction... which means people are running them well past the engine restriction limits.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Ya know some of you self righteous Looney Tunes, sure are full of yourselves....

the irony of this cracks me up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ding ding ding...
Those oil filters you self clean are only about 90% efficient and pass a lot of dirt compared to a 99.99 % efficient cellulose element.

They don't become efficient until they are loaded.

Its amazing 25 HP shows up for a little restriction... which means people are running them well past the engine restriction limits.

There's been a lot of stuff written about this and several tests. The filtration difference between GM/OEM diesel filters and wet (cotton) filters is nowhere near 10%. It's anywhere from 1/3 of 1% to 3/4 of 1% depending on which one. Tests I've read, most are over 99% efficient at catching grit except for a couple......worst being K&N.

The oil in wet filters is what catches particles. They do NOT gain efficiency by being loaded. They're not like those original foam K&N's from 50yrs. ago.

Dry filters, wet filters.........I like the re-usability of wet filters. Mine are AFE and S&B.

I was surprised also. A couple pulls around 690.....the filter looked ok but it was taken off and cleaned anyway......next pull was 717. A modified engine, but It's about air volume. It's quite a bit more now but even a stock diesel engine will feel if the air filter is really dirty. Same with a fuel filter.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Can you provide links to these makers and the engineering data sections of their application books?

I'm curious how they rate against a Donaldson, Mann & Hummel, or Fleetguard air filter.

I pulled my 90% figure from previous research on K&N filters, but they took that number off the website since then.

General statement...
If these oil type filters were so great, why dont you see the high dollar real world working diesel equipment running them (think , cat, deere, case, etc)? That's where you have real need for horsepower and reliability for expensive equipment and maintaining wet filters is a nightmare.
Quoting airflow is questionable because you can only pull so much air volume on a naturally aspirated diesel and a turbo can only push so much air into the engine. The engine takes what it needs.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just had the Toyota repainted, it hit 40K and it was time. When I was in the military we repainted the ships every other year, otherwise the rust would get out of control.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just hope you rotated your spark plugs so they will wear evenly as advised...

and definitely don't forget those valve cover gaskets in 10,000 more miles, if you want your engine to last...

( but don't tell Rauncho BoZo, or he'll have another hissy fit...)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
who's having the hissy fits?

hey floppy, make sure you check the expiration dates on those replacement valve cover gaskets. you'll get mad props at the local pep boys for being a pro.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
who's having the hissy fits? YOU

hey floppy, make sure you check the expiration dates on those replacement valve cover gaskets. you'll get mad props at the local pep boys for being a pro.

GOOOOD Morning...'BoZo

We don't have Pep Boys around here....nor do we need them... cuts down on the Illegal Immigrant and transplanted Californian problems...

but I'll take your advice and check those expiration dates...

thanks for the tip...what would we all do without ya?

have a great day, beating your truck "harder than I'd ever DREAM OF"

Best regards!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

General statement...
If these oil type filters were so great, why dont you see the high dollar real world working diesel equipment running them (think , cat, deere, case, etc)? That's where you have real need for horsepower and reliability for expensive equipment and maintaining wet filters is a nightmare.

Quoting airflow is questionable because you can only pull so much air volume on a naturally aspirated diesel and a turbo can only push so much air into the engine. The engine takes what it needs.

You answered your own question. Dry filters work as well and they're throwaway when dirty. I like reusable, throwaway is easier to service.

"Naturally aspirated diesel?" Who even uses them now?
A turbo forces air into the engine and the engine uses what's it's given. Diesels can take a lot of air.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What about K&N oil filters?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

they make one of the better oil filters out there.

I like the wrench nut on the end, too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by toad

they make one of the better oil filters out there.

I like the wrench nut on the end, too.

an idea taken from Hastings, which sadly quit doing it back in the mid to late 80s....

too bad a lot of other filter manufacturers don't do it... it is a simple but highly useful idea....

but then the industry seems to want us to 'take it to the dealer'...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The air in my tires has been in there for 25k. Does it need changing? Or do I take the air from the fronts and put it in the rears? Please advise.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktail
The air in my tires has been in there for 25k. Does it need changing? Or do I take the air from the fronts and put it in the rears? Please advise.

The air in my Tacoma tires turned 14yrs old last March, and all this time I've been worried about the tread depth and sun damage. Maybe I should park my rigs on jack stands and pull the valve cores out so the tires can breath. Maybe I should start leasing my vehicles? Vehicle ownership is too stressful!

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No question about it...

I rotate the air in my tires every 20,000.. so you are at least 5,000 over due...

However it is very very important to remember, rotate your air to the tires on the opposite side of the vehicles, but ONLY rotate the tires front to back and back to front...

if not following this rule, alignments are needed much more often...

if driving a V8, rotating your valve cover gaskets, every 25,000 will let them last longer and it will not require changing them every 50,000, and stretch out their service life to 75 or even 100,000....

also remember to change your blinker fluid, when you rotate the air in your tires or your turn signals will wear out prematurely... same with windshield wipers... rotate them also I learned that living in St Michael back in Minnesota...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't it time to go defend the honor of the WalMart check out gal from chicken schit hippy farmers by now?

Maybe some loud drunks are disturbing a family's meal some where in Reno.

Sean
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have seen on several web sites for oil change intravals of 10000-25000 (OR) once a year. Why would you change your oil that is recommended for 25000 miles at 15000 just because it has been in there for a year?

Well I have a one year old truck with 44k mikes on it. So, I've changed it 4 times now. Coming up on my 50k valve cover gasket change soon.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Isn't it time to go defend the honor of the WalMart check out gal from chicken schit hippy farmers by now?

Maybe some loud drunks are disturbing a family's meal some where in Reno.

Did the defend the check out girl's honor yesterday and stopped the loud drunks from disturbing a God Loving Family's meal down in Reno last week...

gather you're the "oh, I don't want to get involved" California type...not like we have a shortage of those around here.. show up to tell us how wonderful California is, and how unwonderful we all are here.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the first time I've seen someone join the dogpile when they are the one being dogpiled. crazy

Bold strategy Cotton.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO.

Bless his heart.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Changing the air in your tires is waste. But filling them with helium lightens things up. My truck went from 6900lbs to 6500 lbs with 65psi helium in the tires. You just gotta watch and not let 'em float away before you putem back on.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

General statement...

You answered your own question. Dry filters work as well and they're throwaway when dirty. I like reusable, throwaway is easier to service.

A turbo forces air into the engine and the engine uses what's it's given. Diesels can take a lot of air.

You are sadly mistaken if you can clean a depth loaded oil air filter and attain the same protection of a dry element. Reusable is not the time to think you are going to get better performance. Oil bath filters went away on equipment in the 1950's for a reason.

And there are a lot of naturally aspirated engines on many pieces of equipment. You are only thinking of your pickup.

Yes Turbos do push air in, but a lot of it goes out the waste gate too. The CAC adds a lot of air restriction so you get diminishing returns and the engine only takes what it pulls it. Its not an infinite volume to pressurize and they regulate the stochiometric burn to hit emissions targets.

Your saying you get "25 HP more" is a loaded marketing lie. If you got 25 HP more power out of the engine, you would boil your cooling system. You may be getting 25 HP more than a falsified heavily restricted and biased air filter test to make the oil filter product to look good, but the cooling system was qualified to a dry paper air intake system. You can get any more cooler or fan performance to cool that magical 25 HP that shows up from no where.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

General statement...

1) You are sadly mistaken if you can clean a depth loaded oil air filter and attain the same protection of a dry element. Reusable is not the time to think you are going to get better performance. Oil bath filters went away on equipment in the 1950's for a reason.

2) And there are a lot of naturally aspirated engines on many pieces of equipment. You are only thinking of your pickup.

3) Yes Turbos do push air in, but a lot of it goes out the waste gate too. The CAC adds a lot of air restriction so you get diminishing returns and the engine only takes what it pulls it. Its not an infinite volume to pressurize and they regulate the stochiometric burn to hit emissions targets.

4) Your saying you get "25 HP more" is a loaded marketing lie. If you got 25 HP more power out of the engine, you would boil your cooling system. You may be getting 25 HP more than a falsified heavily restricted and biased air filter test to make the oil filter product to look good, but the cooling system was qualified to a dry paper air intake system. You can get any more cooler or fan performance to cool that magical 25 HP that shows up from no where.

You have no clue about this stuff...you simply don't know what the h#ll you're talking about.

1) Completely wrong. Stock systems use disposable dry filters. Most guys who go with an aftermarket system use an oiled filter. More expensive initially and extra maintenance, that's all. They're equally efficient. An "oiled" filter isn't an "oil bath" filter.

2) Find a naturally aspirated over the road, boat , heavy equipment, pickup truck or auto diesel today.

3) No a lot of it doesn't go out the wastegate. Only happens when boost exceeds the gate setting. You set the gate where you want it.

4) "Marketing lie?".....marketing what, to whom? "Falsified heavily restricted..biased air filter test..." Test, falsified to look good??? To whom? Go read it again. Overheating??? Where do you get this stuff?

Hummer you're beyond stupid. Been reading too much without knowing what it's about.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

General statement...

1) You are sadly mistaken if you can clean a depth loaded oil air filter and attain the same protection of a dry element. Reusable is not the time to think you are going to get better performance. Oil bath filters went away on equipment in the 1950's for a reason.

2) And there are a lot of naturally aspirated engines on many pieces of equipment. You are only thinking of your pickup.

3) Yes Turbos do push air in, but a lot of it goes out the waste gate too. The CAC adds a lot of air restriction so you get diminishing returns and the engine only takes what it pulls it. Its not an infinite volume to pressurize and they regulate the stochiometric burn to hit emissions targets.

4) Your saying you get "25 HP more" is a loaded marketing lie. If you got 25 HP more power out of the engine, you would boil your cooling system. You may be getting 25 HP more than a falsified heavily restricted and biased air filter test to make the oil filter product to look good, but the cooling system was qualified to a dry paper air intake system. You can get any more cooler or fan performance to cool that magical 25 HP that shows up from no where.

You have no clue about this stuff...you simply don't know what the h#ll you're talking about.

1) Completely wrong. Stock systems use disposable dry filters. Most guys who go with an aftermarket system use an oiled filter. More expensive initially and extra maintenance, that's all. They're equally efficient. An "oiled" filter isn't an "oil bath" filter.

2) Find a naturally aspirated over the road, boat , heavy equipment, pickup truck or auto diesel today.

3) No a lot of it doesn't go out the wastegate. Only happens when boost exceeds the gate setting. You set the gate where you want it.

4) "Marketing lie?".....marketing what, to whom? "Falsified heavily restricted..biased air filter test..." Test, falsified to look good??? To whom? Go read it again. Overheating??? Where do you get this stuff?

Hummer you're beyond stupid. Been reading too much without knowing what it's about.

Its clear that you are an expert in these matters. Can you tell me your profession and how you know so much about engine application?

Please post your resume, who you presently work for, and title.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
This is the first time I've seen someone join the dogpile when they are the one being dogpiled. crazy

Bold strategy Cotton.

grin

you evidently missed the day they taught sarcasm.... whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LMAO.

with the size of your ass, that's gotta be a lot of laughin' there Gilligan....

Bless his heart. Why thank you.....

I sure hope once you get done laughing... someone can help you re attach that assss of yours... you might need it to sit down on or take a dump with....you're already enough of FOS....you don't need any more...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ryanjay11

Bold strategy Cotton.

grin

you evidently missed the day they taught sarcasm.... whistle

You are using sarcasm in your self deprecating humor, while still arguing it makes sense to change valve cover gaskets every 50k.

Meanwhile, anyone you have had issue with in the past is dealt with in swift nonsensical fashion. I'd say I'm not missing anything.... Back to the scheduled program.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would you change your oil that is recommended for 25000 miles at 15000 just because it has been in there for a year...?

You supposed to 'change' it...?!?!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO.

I sure hope once you get done laughing... someone can help you re attach that assss of yours... you might need it to sit down on or take a dump with....you're already enough of FOS....you don't need any more...

You know it's size better than most,
from all the time you put in kissing it.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oil is a mixture of substances. Some are more volatile then others. Over time, they evaporate out of the liquid, in use or not So their is some deterioration of the oil, even without use.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LMAO.

homo fantasies again?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTF does ripping off the parts store or taking advantage of the local junior college have to do with where you or I live?
You do contribute to the JC's programs for all the free help and tool rentals, don't you? Or are you just the freeloader taking advantage of them the same way as the hippy getting his chickenshit loaded in his S-10?

As to location, that all you got, call the Californian gay or liberal? Talk about liberal free loaders.

How much does Rancho pay for the rent?

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

homo fantasies again?

Whatever keeps your lips moist, RuPaul.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
no its more along the lines, of anyone could or should, care less how often someone might change anything on their vehicles...

as I could care less what someone's opinion is of what I do that has worked for me for decades...

at the same time, some on here chose to ridicule and slander because they don't do it that way....

Who makes those A Holes the gold standard anyway...

reminds me of an old George Carlin piece of drivers...

"Why is it that most drivers think, that anyone going faster than them are maniacs.. and anyone driving slower than them is an idiot..."

So guys like Rauncho BoZo and his fellow groupies, think the way they do something is a gold standard and feel free to point out some else is wrong if they do it differently.....

I'll close with another George Carlin analogy, regarding motorcycle helmets that apply to a bunch of these guys...

" If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 Motorcycle Helmet..."

a $10 motorcycle helmet is all they need, as there isn't much in there worth worrying about hurting...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

homo fantasies again?

Whatever keeps your lips moist, RuPaul.

one can tell you must be choking your little chicken while composing this...

you really like this homo stuff, don't ya...

What you do in private is your business.... so try to keep it off line...

did you max out your credit card again on 1 900 lines?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You kissing my ass is homo?
For me?

Well whatever tightens your nipples, RuPaul.
Happy Friday, Oregon.........

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lets see....into the conversation

1. You bring in ass and kissing ...

2. you bring up Drag Queens...Afro Ones at that...

3. You bring in tightening Nipples...

Nah..... who could think you have private homo fantasies...

you're just a misunderstood boy from all American LewieTown
I.D.'ho...

don't worry, your fans will probably show up to defend you soon....

Have a good day NOT having your Homo Fantasies there Gilligan.. whistle .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LMAO.
I'll only hang out one cheek this time so you don't get so horned up.
Pucker up, Ru.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess you got nuthin.

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LMAO.
I'll only hang out one cheek this time so you don't get so horned up.
Pucker up, Ru.

Keep dreamin Slave

if that is what floats your beer can...

I can tell this IS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT TO YOU....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess you got nuthin.

well since I wasn't looking for anything.... guess you're right...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This thread is like the jelly of the month club. It keeps on givin all year long!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Houston,
We are nearing the JEFFO patented "stomping of foot" stage.........
Good times,
Over.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you boys keep leading him on, shefire won't have the time to patrol the local walmart and rotate the stock on his valve cover gaskets.

And tell us all about it on here like it really happened.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh Brother.... whistle

Chip & Dale...you pair of clowns really ought to get out more...

even your "stupid schitt" posts are getting pretty weak...

Maybe you need to get back into the trench coats and flash old ladies down at Walmart as they're leaving, like ya use to do...

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I guess you got nuthin.

... besides a preventative maintenance schedule drawn up by Rube Goldberg.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn it just won't die... you f'ers are crazy as a $hit house rat. SMH

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
might as well let it go, some guys are just that way, they think their car-truck is an icon, not a tool as most of us do. A fly sits on it and they go spastic. wife has a nephew, yeah military won't come see her cause we live on a dirt road. Good by me Anal Idiot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will run free brass 100 times, but change out valve cover gaskets at 50,000 miles because something might happen.

Only in the imaginary world of captain sea fire..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have to compliment you there R. BoZo...

That is a classic GFY moment.....

In fact it is such a Classic, why don't you GFY TWICE....

Okay, Okay, Okay.... Three times since you insist...

Guess you really enjoy it....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At the risk of hi jacking the thread, how often do you guys sharpen your lawn mower blades?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Only when the mower leaves a streeks. I change the drive belt every year though whether it needs it or not.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by whelennut
At the risk of hi jacking the thread, how often do you guys sharpen your lawn mower blades?

after every cut. i fuggen PUNISH my grass. schit screams when i open the shed door.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
now I know what happened to those army guys that would compulsively sit there sharpening their bayonets....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I still have to fight the urge to paint my battery box.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I still have to fight the urge to paint my battery box.

Yellow or orange really makes it stands out...

camo works great if you worry about someone popping the hood and stealing the battery...camo it and they won't see it.. grin

as far as sharpening mower blades...I do that at each oil change which includes changing the mower's valve cover gasket with each oil change...

I anneal the spark plug every 4th oil change, as that keeps it's neck from splitting... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Once a year at most. I've got RPMs, why do I need sharp? grin

If I was stuck using a sythe then I'd care more about sharpness.

BTW, I use synthetic oil in my Toro push mower too.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You put oil in your mower? I haven't changed oil in the lawnmower in 15 years. Still starts. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure the plug has ever been changed either.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tzone
You put oil in your mower? I haven't changed oil in the lawnmower in 15 years. Still starts. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure the plug has ever been changed either.

ya know, there is a lot of truth to that concept...

I doubt if there is anyone in the campfire crew, that doesn't have an uncle or grandpa etc, that never touched his old Briggs and Stratton mower, except to put gas in it... never changing the oil or cleaning the spark plug, much less change it... and replaced the air cleaner only when it was so dirty and plugged it wouldn't start...

and they ended up with the thing outlasting them, for 20or 25 or more years...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tzone

ya know, there is a lot of truth to that concept...

I doubt if there is anyone in the campfire crew, that doesn't have an uncle or grandpa etc, that never touched his old Briggs and Stratton mower, except to put gas in it... never changing the oil or cleaning the spark plug, much less change it... and replaced the air cleaner only when it was so dirty and plugged it wouldn't start...

and they ended up with the thing outlasting them, for 20or 25 or more years...

Oh! The horror!!!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know, if it works, what the Hey.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the late 60's I had a '60 or 61 Econoline van. It was an ugly beat-up thing with the 170" engine. I changed the oil regularly but have no idea how often the prior owner did, or if it he ever changed it at all. Once when doing a clutch replacement I dropped the pan for a looksee. There was about 1/2" of heavy sludge crud buildup on the main caps. I just buttoned it back up and kept driving it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In the late 60's I had a '60 or 61 Econoline van. It was an ugly beat-up thing with the 170" engine. I changed the oil regularly but have no idea how often the prior owner did, or if it he ever changed it at all. Once when doing a clutch replacement I dropped the pan for a looksee. There was about 1/2" of heavy sludge crud buildup on the main caps. I just buttoned it back up and kept driving it.

Old phone company van? smile

College friend had one of those.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With the 13 inch tire rims no less...

had a few friends who bought those from the phone company...

those little Ford Straight 6s were running little motors.. even when ignored... like the phone company did...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Old phone company van? smile

College friend had one of those.

My dad was friends with a guy that had a Econoline truck. The motor was almost centerally mounted in the cab/box. He swapped it out with a hot 351 Cleveland with brand new valve cover gaskets, lowered the rear suspension so it sat level, a "kit" to shoot flames out the exhaust, and it had vanity plates that read; "NOTAVAN."

That thing was no joke and embarrassed a lot of folks at stop lights, that's for sure. He passed away many years ago, but as a kid, I remember that vehicle. It was unique to say that least.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh! The horror!!!

I can just see the biscuit......
Walmart auto section hitler/greeter.

"Sir,
When was the last time you cleaned you mower's air filter?"

Uh, I don't know maybe......Reagan?

"What?"
"Why you anti-maintenance, bastard.
I'm gonna kick your welfare lovin' ass."

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
SLAVEY!!!

You're Back in Town!!!

We all really miss ya!

No Really!!!

Well some of us at least....

By the Way....

Welcome to Walmart....and your valve covers are causing a leak of oil in the parking lot....

are ya here for an air filter for your mower?

aisle 27, top left hand side of the aisle...

have a great day there Gilligan...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Greeter.
So glad Wally puts the handicapped elders to work.
You, with your mullet and tights, fit right in.
Good for you.

Have Dog

Will Travel

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ive never looked in this section before. Boy have I cheated myself. This is the best thread ever!

Could someone please post a page from a vehicle owner's manual that gives the manufacturer's recommended schedule for changing valve cover gaskets?

I can't find this in any of mine.

Shouldn't you go on and get the head gaskets, manifold gaskets, and oil pan gasket while you're at it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
New decals always seem to make the truck run quicker. I know when I was a kid, I was waaaaay faster with new tennis shoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Ive never looked in this section before. Boy have I cheated myself. This is the best thread ever!

Could someone please post a page from a vehicle owner's manual that gives the manufacturer's recommended schedule for changing valve cover gaskets?

I can't find this in any of mine.

Shouldn't you go on and get the head gaskets, manifold gaskets, and oil pan gasket while you're at it?

No owners manual needed. Just like your pecker, if it leaks fix it. If it don't, fugg it.

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sean,

Great Quote... best one I've seen in a while...

Mind if it is borrowed for a sig line...

That is an instant classic...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Greeter.
So glad Wally puts the handicapped elders to work.
You, with your mullet and tights, fit right in.
Good for you.

Do I detect a little anger there Slavey?

Applied and didn't get hired evidently...sorry to hear that...

Naw, I don't work at Wally World....

Naw, Don't have a mullet nor never did, I'm not from Idaho..

Naw, I never had tights...only BALLerines ( Homos from Lewiston Idaho), Gay and Californians wear tights...

Another one of your fantasies, flies right out the window...

But you keep on keeping on.. that is why so many folks on the Campfire like ya Gilligan...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anger?
You flatter yourself.
Or try, anyway.

What is detected is truth.
Now ain't that a bitch?

You will be patrolling your usual beat at WM today, I'm sure.
Looking to score a story of how someone using an EBT card done you wrong. Then rush here to post how you saved the world......again.

You are still the little engine that could. I'll give you that.

Sweet dreams, Capt.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote all you want.

But will that entitle Rancho a rebate on the rent?

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Quote all you want.

But will that entitle Rancho a rebate on the rent?

Sure... why not...

but he'll have to see me in court if he thinks he's gonna get anything.... grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anger?
You flatter yourself.
Or try, anyway.

What is detected is truth.
Now ain't that a bitch?

You will be patrolling your usual beat at WM today, I'm sure.
Looking to score a story of how someone using an EBT card done you wrong. Then rush here to post how you saved the world......again.

You are still the little engine that could. I'll give you that.

Sweet dreams, Capt.

you should apply for a job at Walt Disney there Gilligan.... they could use a guy with your imagination...

But I admit, I can see how people abusing welfare being no big deal to you... or somebody who will actually stand up for something instead of not wanting to get involved at all, would be an intimidation to ya....

You have my promise tho Gilligan.... you abusing your Food Stamp Card, won't hear a word from me... you're safe from the state of Idaho there little Buddy....and give my regards to the Skipper..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.
Can I get a witness?

"Here I come to save the day...."

"That means Captain Seafire.....is on his way".

P.S. Good luck on your search for a brain transplant.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's It?

You borrow that from your 3rd grade nephew, OR your roommate down at the Nut House?

Gee Gilligan... that's getting weak even by your low standards....

Appears either those delusional fantasies of yours are getting the best of you, or your doc needs to up your meds...

Try again in the morning, maybe you and your imaginary friend can come up with something better than that response...

Best of Luck there Gilligan...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I can...
I think I can...

Laffin'.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I think I can...
I think I can...
Laffin'. ( and droolin' )

I know ya do Gilligan....
but the real truth is YA CAN'T

ya just keep on battin there Gilligan, cause ya can't strike out just sittin on the bench...

Have a wonderful day with your crayons there little Buddy...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Might be time to stop digging and evict the renters.

hint there. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang it, Bro.
I was just about to "bobber down" stage.

Again.
smile

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. Carry on.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

hint there. wink

This is Gilligan's ENTIRE Social Life

and you want to destroy that?

Believe me, I occupy their minds, far more than some of you YoYos think that they occupy mine....

OTOH....

Gilligan, Donald Duck called today about a reference, since you used my name as one, on your application... they are really impressed with your qualification and imagination...in fact they called it 'off the charts'....

Guess you next big step is the interview with the next executive level manager... a guy named Goofy...

Best of luck on the job interview little Buddy.....

If that doesn't work out, I sent your name into Looney Tunes...

A Daffy Duck said if Disney can't use you, they certainly can...

Bet it will be nice actually having a job, instead of collecting like the last 10 years or so...

by the way, how the old Schwinn holding up?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. Sorry to side-track.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm almost embarrassed for you....almost. But you've done it to yourself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So far the only thing that doesn't get changed in this thread on a regular basis is muffler bearings, and with ethanol going up to 15% this year that certainly needs addressed.

Any recommendations from you experts? smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fill your tires with Nitrogen!

At least 78% anyway.

Guy at tire store asked if I wanted to "Nitronize" my tires. I told him (in a room crowded with customers) it's a Chevy not a Boeing regular old air is just fine.

Last edited by k20350; 08/26/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Shell gas has nitrogen technology in it. Don't know what the hell that's supposed to do.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

hint there. wink

This is Gilligan's ENTIRE Social Life

and you want to destroy that?

Believe me, I occupy their minds, far more than some of you YoYos think that they occupy mine....

OTOH....

Gilligan, Donald Duck called today about a reference, since you used my name as one, on your application... they are really impressed with your qualification and imagination...in fact they called it 'off the charts'....

Guess you next big step is the interview with the next executive level manager... a guy named Goofy...

Best of luck on the job interview little Buddy.....

If that doesn't work out, I sent your name into Looney Tunes...

A Daffy Duck said if Disney can't use you, they certainly can...

Bet it will be nice actually having a job, instead of collecting like the last 10 years or so...

by the way, how the old Schwinn holding up?

You must be mentally spent gettin' all that down in type.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gawd, I hate thieves. Stupid thieves, however, are funny as schittt.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.