Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm trying to teach myself how to use spinners for trout and haven't had much luck. I've been a life long bait fisher. I'm not looking to stop bait fishing just looking to add a new tool to the tool box so to speak. I usually fish free stone and sedimentary creeks that range anywhere from 3yds to 20yds wide. I'm using 1/32 oz and 1/16oz spinners are these adequate? Should I be using a swivel or not? I've been using mono, is there something better? Any other tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fish tailrace trout with #0-#2 vibrax spinners and joe's flies spinners in 1/16-1/8 oz. I use mono most of the time and I use a barrel swivel to add a leader and to keep line twist down.

Just some basic info that might help you a little. Colorado blades run shallow, french blades (like on mepps and vibrax spinners) run deeper, and willow type blades like on rooster tails run even deeper. I think the blades on panther martin type spinners run the deepest but don't quote me cause I don't use them, the rivers I fish are skinny and they stay hung up a lot.

Ingwe fishes spinners a lot from what I have seen him post and does well from the pics he posts. I'm sure he will be along in a while with some good info.

Best thing to do is to go with a few spinners and fish them till you hurt all over, you will find out real quick what works and what don't.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like that idea of using a leader thanks.

How do you the size numbers such as Vibrax and Mepps compare with the weight?

I have Joe's, Panther Martin's, Mepps, Thomas, Rooster Tails and Kastmaster. Probably a few other also. So say if trout are rising for hatch should I stick with a shallow running lure?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have fished a lot of creeks and small lakes for trout with spinners.
The Sierra Nevada Mt.s of central Calif. has countless creeks ranging from a few feet wide and inches deep, the 50 ft or more, with pools 20 +Ft deep.

Use quality 4 Lbs test, with light or ultra-light rods.
As far as what to throw, the #1 best trout catching spinner, no matter what anybody else says, is a Panther Martin. Bar none, no doubt about it
On sunny days, and 90% of the time, chrome/silver blade with yellow body, red spots.
Dark, cloudy days, try the brass blade, black with yellow spots body.
A good second choice is the Blue Fox, get the silver one.
Match the size of the spinner to the water and trout.
I throw the small ones in small creeks, up to ¼ oz in big creeks/ponds and lakes.
If the water is shallow, start reeling it back fast as soon as it touches down, in deep water, let it sink first.
Figure about 18” a second.
Walking a creek, throwing spinners is one of the best, most relaxing ways to spend a morning.
Learn to read the water, figure out where the trout are and cast your lure beyond them, reeling it back past them. This takes practice. Look for pools, any place where the water is deeper and slower than the rest of the creek. Sneak up on it, don’t make any noise or let your shadow fall on the water. Cast your spinner at the head of the pool, where fast water is flowing in. If you can find a small waterfall, don’t pass it by.
Be careful, if you over shoot you spot, and land the spinner in bushes or a tree, you can lose it real fast. Likewise if you let it sink too deep and get it in the rocks.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't add much to what's already been said. I've caught trout on all kinds of spinners but if I had to pick one brand I agree with Anaconda it would be a Panther Martin. Usually black or yellow for me too. 1/16th, 1/32d are good sometimes an 1/8th oz. depending on the size of the water. I use a swivel and 4 or 6Lb mono I've started getting the one hook Panther Martins as it's a lot easier to unhook the fish.

For stream fishing if the stream's big enough with reasonable current I'll throw it across and upstream reeling it just fast enough to keep the slack out and close to the bottom. Let it swing on past you and slowly reel it back upstream, sometimes with little jerks. Undercut banks and behind bigger rocks are good places to try.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 06/01/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
So when I'm reeling it in should I be giving the spinner some slight jerks or vary the speed in which I reel it in?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can if you want, but 99% of the time it makes no difference.

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ok. I've had quite a few fish follow (fishing clear water, sunny day) but no strikes. What does this mean?

How long will you fish a specific spinner before changing to something else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
Ok. I've had quite a few fish follow (fishing clear water, sunny day) but no strikes. What does this mean?

It means the fish have seen that lure a lot. Change lures. It may also mean the fish are seeing you or your line.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4# mono and no swivel is how I run. I have always had the best luck with gold or silver Mepps, much less luck with Panther Martin, Blue Fox, Rooster Tail, etc.

Part of the 'best' lure what you are used to. If a Mepps is my go-to lure and I learn to fish it well, I will tie it on first and catch fish. If the fish aren't biting, I switch to a Panther but it has already been established the fish are off. When fishing is slow, I won't catch anything on the Panther either but in my mind, the Panther now sucks.

Anaconda goes to the Panther first and probably only uses a Mepps when all else fails, so his experience is a mirror image of mine. Have fun, spinner fishing for trout is one of my favorite types of fishing.

Last edited by K1500; 06/10/15.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had my best results with 1/8th oz Panther Martins. Anything lighter or heavier has rarely worked well. Orange, yellow, red and black seem to be the best colors for me. Although green worked the best one time in a cold April.

Sometime I bounce it along and between rocks and other times rip it over the top of the rocks. The fish will let you know which to do. Also, I would say 95% of the time I fish upstream, especially on the size streams you mentioned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if the same holds for streams as lakes, but I've found little cleo spoons and kastmasters handily outfish spinners.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I've tried all the spinners out there before going to the spoons. I recomend trashing the treble hooks and replacing with single hooks.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thank you all for the help.

So far I've actually had my best luck with kastmasters.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not sure if the same holds for streams as lakes, but I've found little cleo spoons and kastmasters handily outfish spinners.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I've tried all the spinners out there before going to the spoons. I recomend trashing the treble hooks and replacing with single hooks.

Years ago I used spoons quite a bit and had good success with them too. Fish were usually bigger than the average with spinners. Need to try them again. My brother started using 4" Rapala plugs and out-fished me using spinners 7-1 in the morning, but I caught up later in the day.

I did have to remove a treble hook from his thumb when the fish he caught thrashed around imbedding it there. I told him the same thing about getting rid the treble hooks. Better for the fish and him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd been a spinner guy for years but am a tackle junky especially when I see something on sale. I'd picked up a red/silver little cleo and had it in my tackle box but had never tried it. I was fishing a lake one day years ago and could not get a bite. I'd tried every spinner in the box, nada. Then I figured, what the heck I might as well try this spoon.

Bam, first cast I had a bite and it wasn't the only fish that day. I don't know if the spoons yield bigger fish but it seems using the 1/4 oz little cleos and cast masters I don't hook small fish, seems like 12" or longer.

I tore the mouth up on a lake trout that was too small to be a keeper but the treble was imbedded in the top and bottom lips and after that I swore off of trebles.

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to fish small stream trout with spinners frequently. My spinner of choice was the Mepps either 0 or 1 blades, with 2's being reserved for larger waters. I used silver, gold, copper, or some of the painted blades and did well with all; somedays better with 1 color than others. Also used Panther Martins, Roostertails, vibrax and other unknown brands. Of my main fishing partners at the time, one used Panthers, one used Roostertails, and one swore by silver Mepps. I think I got hooked on Mepps because they tended to be cheaper, but I learned how to use them and became pretty good. Also, the Mepps we used were the plain hook variety; never had as good luck with the feathered hooks. 458 Lott's comments on spoons is interesting as I've had good luck throwing large (1/2 to 1 oz.) spoons in big water for big trout and salmon, but never tried small spoons in small streams.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Well....I caught my first ever trout (native brookie) on a spinner this morning. Caught him on 1/16oz black and gold Panther Martin. It wasn't very big maybe 4" or 5", but hey it's a start. Had another one hit twice but I kept missing it. Had to quit for the day when Mother nature decided blow up a thunderstorm. Fishing with spinners is a blast!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Panther Martin Gold, black body, yellow spots....Most trout creeks do best with their #2PMR-G

Bigger water does well with #4PMR-G or even #6PMR-G

Second choice is Silver, yellow body, red spots in the above sizes...a distant second, often better on bright sunshine days.

I have also had great luck with their Rainbow trout pattern.

I never use spinners with hair or feathers, never use them with a swivel, and always fish them upstream, retrieveing with the current....gives the fish less time to recognize, and commit.

Panther Martins have a quick start up speed, which allows the downstream retrieve. Mepps and Rooster Tails will not start spinning easily enough for most downstream presentations.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never use bait again.....it just plain is not effective in comparison. My protege' and new best fishing pard just started spinning late last year. She's been out twice this year, caught 13 on the first walk in a creek and another 16 today ( see pic)

[Linked Image]

We are heading out tomorrow to try and target some big ones. "Try" is the operative word..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85

Yep...change the lure, preferably to something smaller, and move it faster.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Yep, I caught it on a gold with black and yellow spot one.

What do you mean by fishing it upstream?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.