-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We typically wade upstream, against the current and throw the lures up ahead of us, reeling them back basically with the current. Fish are facing into the current and when the lure is coming at them at good speed they have only split seconds to commit to it.
If they get to follow it around and inspect it, like a downstream cast allows, they will often refuse it.
They position themselves so current carries food and oxygen to them, might as well show them some food! grin

pic from today, my fishing pard.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 06/22/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
One trick I have tried that works, sometimes, is to cast across stream, let the spinner (typically Panther Martin!) sink a bit, tighten up the line and let it swing across the front of little pockets of good looking water. Theory being the trout sees it flash by (quartering downstream) and has a split second to grab it or miss out. It also allows me to ensure the blade is spinning before it enters the "good" water.
Much as I like flyfishing, a spinning rod is way easier on my bum shoulder and simpler, for me! I have had a lot of fun working smaller creeks/rivers with a spinning rod and a small container of lures. It is a pretty pleasant way to spend several hours!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I often cast quartering upstream and retrieve down and across, letting the current swing the lure.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pat: ditto here on the shoulder with the fly rod. I love probing small streams for trout!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is no finer trout lure than a #2 Mepps in gold...period. It takes some time to learn the feel of how it should be fished, but when you do it is deadly. The smaller versions work but don't spin as well in my opinion. Learning how to present it is the thing that takes practice. Cast a little up stream and let it sink a bit (depending on water depth and current), then take up slack and give a sharp little tug to get the blades spinning. Keep the line in contact with the lure as it drifts, you may have to reel slightly to do that. You will feel the spinner vibrate as it drifts, this is where you learn the "feel" of the lure- not too fast, not too slow.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pat: ditto here on the shoulder with the fly rod. I love probing small streams for trout!

I am with you on that. I suspect it lets us be kids again, for a while!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mbhunt
There is no finer trout lure than a #2 Mepps in gold...period. It takes some time to learn the feel of how it should be fished, but when you do it is deadly. The smaller versions work but don't spin as well in my opinion. Learning how to present it is the thing that takes practice. Cast a little up stream and let it sink a bit (depending on water depth and current), then take up slack and give a sharp little tug to get the blades spinning. Keep the line in contact with the lure as it drifts, you may have to reel slightly to do that. You will feel the spinner vibrate as it drifts, this is where you learn the "feel" of the lure- not too fast, not too slow.

Excellent advice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by patbrennan
One trick I have tried that works, sometimes, is to cast across stream, let the spinner (typically Panther Martin!) sink a bit, tighten up the line and let it swing across the front of little pockets of good looking water. Theory being the trout sees it flash by (quartering downstream) and has a split second to grab it or miss out. It also allows me to ensure the blade is spinning before it enters the "good" water.
Much as I like flyfishing, a spinning rod is way easier on my bum shoulder and simpler, for me! I have had a lot of fun working smaller creeks/rivers with a spinning rod and a small container of lures. It is a pretty pleasant way to spend several hours!

This info added to my post nails it.(except use Mepps instead of panther martin lol)

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Huh....I thought for sure I replied on here yesterday, must've screwed something up.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to try casting up stream the next time out.

Ingwe, your pard got a nice fish there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85

I am happy to say thats a pretty average fish for us grin

We catch LOTS of those!

Ive got a zillion pics of all kinds of trout from creeks, large and small.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is the preferred single hook size when swapping out your trebles? This seems to be a pretty good idea.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85

I am happy to say thats a pretty average fish for us grin

We catch LOTS of those!

Ive got a zillion pics of all kinds of trout from creeks, large and small.

That one would be a monster for the streams I fish.

I've seen some of the pics you have posted in the past. I'm jealous to say the least grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heres the four trout teasers for you.... grin

Rainbow...

[Linked Image]

Cutthroat ( West Slope)

[Linked Image]

Brown Trout...

[Linked Image]

Brook Trout...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm still trying to find those brookies! I'm thinking it might take a backpack and a camp.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know where they live grin

[Linked Image]

How about a 17 incher?

[Linked Image]

If not that, how about an 18 incher?

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ok ok that's enough, hahaha.

I'd give anything to have native brookies like that around here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Going after what will hopefully be bigger ones this fall.... grin

Buttttt...I'll be trying for them with a fly rod.......

Last edited by ingwe; 06/30/15.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang Poob, your making me green. Those trout are beautiful, our trout are stocked trout for the most part and hardly have any color. I do catch a few rainbows and brooks in the mountains but they are small, gorgeous but small.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got oodles of those pics....thankfully our F&G learned in the early 70s not to stock trout in flowing streams...they compete with the natives for food, to the detriment of trout overall.
I refuse to fish for stocked trout ( they still put them in some reservoirs...) We have here what Pugs called " an embarrassment of riches..." grin

Heres a big one in full spawning colors Ingwewife caught...

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some awesome fish there ingwe.... Love those brookies.. They are my favorite fish in the trout world... You certainly have caught come monsters.. I think the biggest I have ever taken was about 15-16"..
It was taken in a section of a creek on private land.. Best of luck this fall.. That is a beautiful fishing partner you have... Your daughter???

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.