Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 4ager
Most/least favorites?

Favorite MH:
Turkey Tetrazini - I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong.
Beef stroganoff
Lasagna

Least Favorite:
Anything with rice
Anything that requires preparation, especially if I didn't realize it. I pulled out a "chicken breast and rib meat and mashed potatoes" MH once on a trip and wasn't too excited to realize I had made a mistake.

I have to mix it up a little - eating the same thing for 2+ weeks ruins the morale lift that you get from eating a hot meal. I usually cycle between 3 or so.

I usually do instant oatmeal for breakfast, and throw in a couple MH breakfast things. I don't overly care for freeze dried eggs, but they are something different. Sometimes I don't eat anything, but I usually regret that.

On an overnight or weekend trip, anything goes.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oh... and it wouldn't be a gentleman's hunt without:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just a tip...sneak the libations into your friend's pack...until you get to camp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by pointer

I love the CLIF brand powerbars for lunch. Not CLIF bars. CLIF brand powerbars.

Travis
WTH are these? Or is that your inner kawi typing?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/clif-builder-s-variety/196623.ip?navAction=

Travis
Thanks! I like some of the regular Clif bars, but they can plug the works up after a couple of days. May have to give these a try.

Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I have been eating a handful of trail mix or similar first thing, then snack while I'm glassing for the first 0.5-2 hrs of the morning. Bars I find tasty, sausage, cheese, etc. fill in the gaps.

Mountain House dinner works for me 'cause I've eaten several dozen of them and they've yet to make me sick. Backpack hunts aren't a good time for dietary roulette.

You can put a lot of time into nutritional analysis if you want, I personally keep it pretty simple.
Lots of wisdom in those last two paragraphs. I agree heartedly. As my regular pard is apt to say, "It'll make a turd." I for sure am not ambitious enough to pack and then prepare the menu provided by KC.

Last edited by pointer; 06/02/15.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cwh2

[Linked Image]

Can't see a reason to bring cologne, but whatever.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks! I like some of the regular Clif bars, but they can plug the works up after a couple of days. May have to give these a try.

You'll never eat a regular Clif bar again.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Two Vias and one packet of instant hot cocoa will usually get most people moving in the morning.

Yep, moving toward the dark timber with a roll of paper in your hand.

This...

Some of you guys must have some sensitive colons. ^^That^^ VIA/cocoa combo is good stuff. Combine with your breakfast of choice and a GU gel in the morning will get you up the mountain!

Agree with most of what was said. I like the MH lasagne, spaghetti, beef stroghanoff, for dinner.
I carry pita's, dried cranberries, raw almonds, hard swiss cheese, salami or summer sausage... those type things make a good snack or lunch or add-on's for dinner.

Breakfast I'm disatisfied with and not settled on. Instant oatmeal works for ease and lightweight but can get disgusting after a couple days. I've taken dry pancake batter and a backpacking frying pan, bottle of syrup. Beats instant oatmeal. MH breakfasts blows IMO. That was the only MH I've had that got thrown out. Can't choke it down.
I have toasted a pita in that frypan and cover in peanut butter. Along with some dried cranberries.

Cliff bars... Humm, what to say. They are filling and wholesome. But they are heavy and forget it on a frosty morning, you can't chew the things. So on a hunt I may carry one in my pocket to keep it warm enough to chew. But oftentimes, I just leave them out of the mix. Seems for taste, calories, and weight, they often just don't make the cut.
Since I know deflave is right-on with his backwoods mocha using VIA, I'll have to try the Clif powerbars.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Snubbie, the Clif powerbars are tough to gnaw on if they get real cold.

I eat them for lunch. They are usually plenty warm by the time I eat if I keep them in my pack or a pocket.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by snubbie

Some of you guys must have some sensitive colons.

No, mine just likes to unburden itself every morning.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I for sure am not ambitious enough to pack and then prepare the menu provided by KC.

What I posted is just a list of options that I consult prior to packing my food. The things near the bottom of each list take more time to prepare so I don't take them as often.

I don't make an elaborate menu for an average hunt. But just like snubbie, I do get tired of the same old thing day after day. So I try to mix it up some.

On a week-long hunt (7 days, 6 nights) I will probably take something like the following:

BREAKFAST
1 - Breakfast Cereal
2 - Oatmeal
2 - MH Breakfast Burrito
1 - S.O.S.

DINNER
3 - MH Freeze Dried Entres
1 - Mac & Cheese
1 - Burrito
1 - Casserole

I rarely eat a hot lunch. So The Cup-O-Noodles are just lightweight emergency rations.

I usually take a variety of snacks and sometimes I plan on entirely no-cook menus for a day or two. I can get along pretty well on beef jerky, sandwich crackers, cheese, and Tang.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2

[Linked Image]

I like your style CWH2!!!

Though I am a Sailor Jerry fan myself. wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey 'lanche, I was on the stair machine at the gym yesterday, and it has a TV screen. I caught your episode of "Alaska Outdoors," cool show, well done!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
bacon in a can. hard to find now days. otherwise take micro wave bacon. weighs nothing, keeps easy and will cook fast. helps flavor a lot of stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.packitgourmet.com

Packit Gourmet makes some great pack meals.
I like it better than MH.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rayporter
bacon in a can. hard to find now days. otherwise take micro wave bacon. weighs nothing, keeps easy and will cook fast. helps flavor a lot of stuff.

You had me at "bacon".

This "microwave bacon" of which you speak... Is this what you are talking about? WalMart - Worlds foremost outfitter

Luke, Sailor Jerry does have a much better label.

Last edited by cwh2; 06/02/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hey 'lanche, I was on the stair machine at the gym yesterday, and it has a TV screen. I caught your episode of "Alaska Outdoors," cool show, well done!

Thanks man!! Glad ya liked it!

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'Lanche,

Link?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yes it is.

heat the bacon while the coffee is makin. then wrap it in a tortilla.

Last edited by rayporter; 06/02/15.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone cache their food or camping supplies before the hunt. I was thinking a bear proof container would be ideal to store some food and maybe some luxuries that may get left out of the pack

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Does anyone cache their food or camping supplies before the hunt. I was thinking a bear proof container would be ideal to store some food and maybe some luxuries that may get left out of the pack
I've done that with water once, for a dry camp. Unfortunately, I live way too far from where I hunt out of a backpack. Thus, I don't get the opportunity to visit it prior, so I don't.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.