-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A fella in my group had a bad experience with core-lokts a few years ago. Bullet didn't open, hit bone and traveled along. He was lucky to get the bull on subsequent shot.
Lotta nice premium bullets to chose from these days.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had some close calls on deer sized animals. So I don't use them on elk

Venor ergo sum
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Who has had success on elk with them?
My sons rifle shoots them lights out and hate to tinker with anything else...

Oh, I've had success with them (270, 130 and 150gr) but it wasn't pretty. There are a LOT better bullets out there.

Having said that, my dad has been using 180gr CL's for 50+ years out of his 06's. Of course, he usually shoots them in the neck at 50 yds......
Seriously.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No experience on elk with them, but I do have enough experience with core & jacket separation on deer that I won't use them.

As previously stated, they worked until we had the internet; well, I suppose they did and one of the reasons they did is that options were extremely limited years ago and at that time, they were a major player in the market. Fortunately, that's not the case today.

Last edited by StudDuck; 06/02/15.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys for all the responses. Ordered some Barnes TTSX to try...

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The comment that they worked before the internet is misleading. If they didn't work before the net. Who are you going to tell? Just a few close friends?

Now, if something doesn't work the whole world knows it in a day.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarHunter
The comment that they worked before the internet is misleading. If they didn't work before the net. Who are you going to tell? Just a few close friends?

Now, if something doesn't work the whole world knows it in a day.

Very true, I concur.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have 50+ kills on Whitetail, Sika & Axis with .284 150 gr Core Lokt Pointed Soft Points. Three of those Axis were nearly 300 pounds.

I like them in my 280's. I'd be hard pressed to give them any bad press. They are simple cup/core bullets. They work, but they're not magic.

Nice going, but how many elk with the core-lokts?

My only elk was a sizable cow with a 140 TTSX.

I wouldn't suggest the CoreLokt's on any animal over 300 lbs.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good luck to you and your son this year. I've really been impressed with how well the TTSX shoots and how they break through bones even at longer ranges. Your son can take out the front shoulder if he wants to and feel pretty good about getting to the vitals, if that is the only shot presented.

I've seen them go through lungs, heart, then break the off side shoulder of a good bull at 350 yards from a 180 in 300 Win and break the spine of a big Russian boar limping away at 520 yards with a 150 in 7 RM.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Before the internet, the Core-Lokt bullets worked damn good. Guess we didn't know any better till guys with a keyboard saved us. Wait, they probly still do work well. mtmuley

Ain't that the truth.

Before the internet the Core-Lokt in the PSP configuration was a tougher bullet than it is today.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by SLM
Before the internet, the Core-Lokt bullets worked damn good. Guess we didn't know any better till guys with a keyboard saved us. Wait, they probly still do work well. mtmuley

Ain't that the truth.

Before the internet the Core-Lokt in the PSP configuration was a tougher bullet than it is today.

I think the internet got people to thinking and discussing. Me not being a fan of the pointed style, I looked through my spent bullet collection today and found a 175 grn pointed Core-Lokt I pulled from a bull elk. It was shot at 30 yards with a 7mm Magnum. The bullet smashed the spine and completely penetrated though and was found on the opposite side weighing 61 grains with the jacket and core still together. Stellar performance with such a close range hit on the toughest bone in an elk. Exactly opposite results I had decades later when I hit a small mule deer in the spine at 220 yards. Bullet disintegrated on the spine, and failed to break it. Recovered weight of the bullet fragments was 31 grn IIRC. Another example of, is it a good bullet or a bad bullet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've seen and heard of too much variability in how the Core-Lokts act after striking animals. I used them as a kid. I avoid them now, and though I think that a 130 in the ribs would turn out just fine, I'd not recommend it. I just don't have any faith in them. I'd say either go heavier, as in the 150's, in the RN style, which I have heard and seen far more positive things about, or go to a different design.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have always used Nosler Partition 30-06 180 grain. Way back when the ammo shortage started, all I was able to find was green box Core-Lok 30-06 180 grain. I bought 6 boxes and I am still using them. I have killed two cow elk with no problems. I suppose when they are gone I will go back to the Nosler Partition.

I should add that I like the price better but as few as a shoot every year it isn't that much more for the premium bullets.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 06/07/15.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
I have always used Nosler Partition 30-06 180 grain. Way back when the ammo shortage started, all I was able to find was green box Core-Lok 30-06 180 grain. I bought 6 boxes and I am still using them. I have killed two cow elk with no problems. I suppose when they are gone I will go back to the Nosler Partition.

I should add that I like the price better but as few as a shoot every year it isn't that much more for the premium bullets.

120 bullets, and two cows. You have a ways to go yet.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I wish it was that easy, I burn up about a box a year after checking my sights and pre-season practice.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
stuvwxyz,

The pointed soft-point Corelokt was "redesigned" about 20 years ago. Before that all Core-Lokts had jackets with pretty thick sidewalls, the reason they held together pretty well, though they never actually had an "hour-glass" shaped core like Remington used to claim, due to the sidewalls being thicker in the middle. When redesigned they ended up with jackets about as thick (or thin) as most cup-and-core bullets, so didn't hold together as well.

The only Core-Lokts that still have the thick jackets are the round-nose models. Or at least they did a few years ago, last time I sectioned any.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

I wish it was that easy, I burn up about a box a year after checking my sights and pre-season practice.

I figured at least that much, but with 6 boxes you should have a couple of years left. No so bad really. They're working for you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot a couple of elk using the 150 gr. PSPCL's out of my 30-06. Hitting them broadside thru the ribs they ended up under the hide on the far side a bit over flattened and the elk ended up down for the count pretty quickly. But any bullet would have done OK under that circumstance. And elk hunting does not provide perfect broadside shots very often at least in my experience. I am a partition fan and have been for many years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

these were taken from an elk before the internet. the one on the left is a Coreloct (Coreloss?). the one on the right finished the elk.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Its funny when I go elk hunting in NM how many locals go with the Green Box Core Lokts...of course their line of reasoning, and mine too, is that I, being from GA, and only there for 5 days, don't have the same opportunities that they do.They seem to love em and I've never heard the first complaint from the elk crowd out there. That being said, Core Lokt's work and in my little world, they work very consistently. I've killed a huge pile of deer with them culling does (legally) from local plantations. Zero failures.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

632 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.