-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Consider some of the airlines flying the other way. Both the Pacific and the Atlantic wash Africa's shores, and I have found better service and more comfortable airlines flying the Pacific route.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pugs

They pretty much all suck but getting to Africa you don't have much choice. Good luck getting any satisfaction from Delta. I sure didn't from United.

KLM to Tanzania was top notch with wonderful service. Transferred onto Delta back from Europe to the US and it was like riding on a broken down city bus in comparison.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
All U.S. airlines pretty much suck equally. Don't count on Delta being better than United/American etc. Emirates generally runs a lot smoother because they have more money than they know what to do with so they're adequately staffed and they invest more in their operation. Optimization and efficiency has been taken to the extreme with U.S. airlines in the name of saving a penny any where they can. The business model is "XX amount of complaints means we've cut things about right, XXX means we might have gone too far". Delta/United/American will have two check in agents working a 300 seat flight so they force you to use a kiosk instead of speaking to a person, flying with firearms you have to see an agent. If you try to get to an agent you have to wait in a 20 deep line. Emirates will have 15 agents working the same size flight and at any given time half of them will be available for you to walk up with no waiting.

For the most part you're always better off picking a foreign carrier over a U.S. carrier. The caveat with that is flying with guns, some like British Airways are openly hostile to firearms so you have to be careful flying them with firearms.

Spot on, Alaska Airlines is the only American carrier that I've had good service with. Delta is the worse that I have flown with.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Once coming out of Juneau on Alaska the agent had a fit when I put my rifle case on the scale.... before I could say Hello she was screaming I didn't declare my firearm... in spite of the old case have a FIREARM ENCLOSED banner on it..... I must have been the only old guy ever to fly to Juneau with a rifle I guess. Several years back my wife wanted to tour before and after a hunt so I arranged to borrow a rifle. We had a great trip and I have never again bothered to take a firearms anywhere...Argentina, New Zealand, Scotland, England, Africa. Its not worth the cost, risk, worry or hassles. Only one time did the outfitter ask for anything more than ammo costs and I have always handed top flight equipment; Beretta, Benelli, Sauer, Sako, several Customs, one Rigby, Ruger, Remington, Winchester and multiple calibers depending on game too. (I'm sure I missed some too) But I asked in advance to be certain about rifles and scopes. You are not an "evil hunter/killer" but simply an American tourist though that has it's risks too.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Delta the last four trips and Delta going forward.

You will not transport my trophies, you will not transport me.

I have always been happy with Delta.

On another note I always check the tag on my luggage, it pays to make certain it is check through to where you want it.

As a follow up to this post:

In the early part of April I booked a hunt to Zambia flying Delta and Air France. They are airline partners on miles etc.

I recently learned Air France is not flying any trophies. The ticket is non-refundable so there is no changing it. Another airline not to use unless there is no other choice.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.