Print Thread
Hop To
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm looking for pack recommendations - something for extended outings (up to a week?), lightweight, high quality, flexibility. With any luck it would be used for packing out game. I'm 6-3 ~220 lbs if that makes a difference. Price range pretty open, it seems prices range from $300-500 ready to roll, and that would be fine. What would you guys get?

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Paradox. Either the Evolution or the Unaweep.
Out of the many, probably over 100 packs I have owned, the Paradox carry the best regardless whether there is 15 lbs in it or 100.
I'm liking my Unaweep so well, I might be selling my Evolution.

Ed T

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the Kifaru Highcamp with the Bikini frame. I absolutely love it. Their Duplex frame is just as comfortable (to me) and probably carries 100lb+ loads a little better. Stone Glacier also makes some pretty excellent packs and I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their packs either.

The bottom line is, there are currently several really good lightweight packs that can haul pretty big loads in relative comfort. Once you narrow it down to several manufacturers, I think the most important factor at that point is how well the pack fits you. You wouldn't want to go hiking or backpacking in a pair of boots that didn't fit well and were uncomfortable, and I believe the same holds true for packs. Don't buy a pack that doesn't really fit you very well just because it has an elite name.

Chris

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I really like my Stone Glacier Terminus. It is extremely comfortable and I am comfortable packing heavy loads with it. On trips over 10 days, it does get a little cramped for me, but I'm not really an "ultralight" person. I think it would work very well for the task you describe.

That being said, I haven't used every pack out there and I'm sure there are others that would work well too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat really any of the 3 the previous posters mentioned. Have carried animals out with all of them and they all work well. Just comes down to what you want in packbag style and layout and what suspension works best for you.

Not trying to muddy the waters I promise. Just saying you can't really lose if picking from the three pack companies mentioned above.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Paradox. Either the Evolution or the Unaweep.
Out of the many, probably over 100 packs I have owned, the Paradox carry the best regardless whether there is 15 lbs in it or 100.
I'm liking my Unaweep so well, I might be selling my Evolution.

I also have a bit of experience and will just say that this poster is, of all the knowledgeable guys I have met on the internet forums concerned with hunting-backpacking, THE one whose opinions most impress me.

I would take Eds word here as *gold* and am going to buy a Paradox pack soon-when my income tax refund arrives......my play money got done as I just had to buy this Kimber MA-.280AI....

We all know how that goes...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Paradox. I have the Evolution 4800 and no complaints. Lightweight, versatile, comfortable, and adjustable.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just put up a review of the paradox 4800. I prefer it to my Kifaru dumplex frame and bag set up. I like it so much I'm going to get the under 3lb divide info believe!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how do these compare to backpacking packs, like the Gregory Baltoro 75?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
758 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 93 invisible), 3,020 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.