Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't plan on a convenient hotel or gas station. They aren't there!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Zone 3 isn't bad compared to other zones. It contains several large town such as Van Buren, Caribou, Madawaska, and Fort Kent. I'll be hunting zone 3 both in September and October. If it were me, I'd check out Caswell, Cyr Plantation, and out around Square Lake. Moose numbers aren't what they used to be but they are still there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lone wolf.....that dosent suprise me they booked up that quick!!:-)

Good luck on your hunt and be sure to post pictures!!

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks Josh, you sure shot a nice one. It took me a week to swap my permit to zone 4 otherwise I would have booked sooner. I must have got drawn late in the drawing my first four choices were 3-4-2-1 up north ended up getting my 7th choice which was zone 19.I was able to switch it with a guy that had a hunting camp in zone 19. I will post some pics.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just got back from my Maine moose hunt. It was a tough week with hot weather on Monday & Tuesday that drove the moose down into the swamps. Monday morning I could have shot a small bull that was crossing into a field from posted property but he was standing in a guy's dooryard with the old timer standing on the stoop trying to scare the moose away. Didn't seem very sporting. smile Tuesday was spent in the woods with one of the young guides Kyle. He is a moose whisperer and had a bull answering his cow call down in a swale grass swamp. The bull circled us and I attempted and missed a 175 yard offhand shot. Wednesday was a washout with 5 1/2 inches of rain and high winds. Thursday we caught a huge bull crossing a paved road and chased him through a beaver swamp only to end up standing on a beaver dam within 10 yards but too close to a dwelling to shoot. Friday evening with time running out we tried cow calling over some fresh wallows and this guy came in fast and hot to 75 yards. One shot from my Grandfather's 03 Springfield Sporter did the trick.
[Linked Image]
He was 818 pounds with a 43" spread but no palmation but there was no time to be fussy. I was hunting with Jesse Cote from Backwoods Guide Service in Caribou. He has a fabulous network of friends and family and they all pull out all the stops to ensure a good hunt. Good guides, good lodge and let's just say that the food didn't suck.
[Linked Image]
He primarily runs bear hunts over bait and I would certainly recommend his services for bear or moose.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet Bull. Congrats

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The horns will still look good on the wall. And you won't have to modify your den to get them in! Nice hunt & congrats

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are only two states that I haven't visited, Maine and Vermont. I really need to get up there.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent work there; fantastic choice of weapon!

Congrats!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
I just got back from my Maine moose hunt. It was a tough week with hot weather on Monday & Tuesday that drove the moose down into the swamps. Monday morning I could have shot a small bull that was crossing into a field from posted property but he was standing in a guy's dooryard with the old timer standing on the stoop trying to scare the moose away. Didn't seem very sporting. smile Tuesday was spent in the woods with one of the young guides Kyle. He is a moose whisperer and had a bull answering his cow call down in a swale grass swamp. The bull circled us and I attempted and missed a 175 yard offhand shot. Wednesday was a washout with 5 1/2 inches of rain and high winds. Thursday we caught a huge bull crossing a paved road and chased him through a beaver swamp only to end up standing on a beaver dam within 10 yards but too close to a dwelling to shoot. Friday evening with time running out we tried cow calling over some fresh wallows and this guy came in fast and hot to 75 yards. One shot from my Grandfather's 03 Springfield Sporter did the trick.
[Linked Image]
He was 818 pounds with a 43" spread but no palmation but there was no time to be fussy. I was hunting with Jesse Cote from Backwoods Guide Service in Caribou. He has a fabulous network of friends and family and they all pull out all the stops to ensure a good hunt. Good guides, good lodge and let's just say that the food didn't suck.
[Linked Image]
He primarily runs bear hunts over bait and I would certainly recommend his services for bear or moose.

Sweet deal. I'm happy you were successful. And with your Grandfather's rifle. HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Too Cool! Way to get it done with your grandfathers gun.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks all for the kind words. I ended up with close to 450 lbs. of boned out meat. After packing the new freezer I'm happy that I didn't shoot a bigger one!
[Linked Image]

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,675
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.