Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you followed this thread https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9840624/Re:_"Long_barrel_modi#Post9840624 , I wanted to give an update on what I found out today after the Iowa DNR code-writing committee met to discuss T/C handguns and deer hunting in Iowa. The language in question was "no long barrel modifications" and I wanted to know if a 17" MGM barrel in .357 Maximum was legal or was a 17" barrel a "long barrel modification". Here's the answer. As long as the chambering is within the permitted chamberings as defined in the regulations and the T/C does NOT have the shoulder stock installed and CAN be fired with only one hand, the 17" barrel is legal. This (theoretically)prevents the use of 24" barrels with a handgun grip installed because of the length and weight of the barrel. However, it's perfectly legal to USE two hands to fire the handgun. They are abiding by the federal definition of pistol/handgun, which is a weapon without a shoulder which can be fired with one hand. So, unfortunately, no rifles. But my Encore with 17" .357 Max barrel is legal.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the update. It would seem the 'long barrel modification' language is unneeded as by the definition you were given, any handgun barrel of any length CAN be fired with one hand.
Any more news from your source on possible modifications to the regulations to allow rifles of some sort?

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nope - they're not interested in permitting rifles of any sort. I even inquired about antique cartridges or single-shot straight-walled rifles. No interest because regulations and enforcement gets more difficult. Right now, you can look at a gun in hand and know that it is a shotgun, at least the common models used for deer hunting, or a pistol that meets regulations - though it would be interesting to see how long I could hunt with my .260 Rem barrel and get away with it by simply showing an ammo carrier filled with .357 Maximum and say, "Here's what I'm shooting in this barrel."

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked with an Iowa DNR official a couple of years ago when I worked at Walmart. I suggested allowing rifles if they only shot non lead (copper bullets) because he was whining about all the birds dying because of lead ingestion and hunters refusing to give up lead.

I think that would be a fair trade. Copper bullets in rifles only or lead in shotguns and pistols. He didn't seem to think that was good enough. He wanted to outlaw lead in shotguns as well. It appears they want it all or nothing to him.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
FWIW I use a 357 Max contender in Illinois and it is deadly on deer. Though I regularly practice with it at 100yds of the four deer Ive taken with it longest shot was about 50yds.
I use the 180gr Hornady spire point and the deer I shot at 50 my aim was off and hit shoulder instead of just behind and ended up breaking BOTH shoulders. I was amazed at the power and penetration.

IC B2

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep - I used a .357 Max in Iowa before moving to Minnesota where the laws are MUCH more liberal on handguns in "shotgun zones". Longest kill was 166 yds, measured with LRF. I hit a little high in the lungs with a 215 gr. cast bullet - 358627 - and he dropped on the spot.

Selmer

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
KWG,

I have my doubts about the whole 'lead ingestion' issue. If all these lead-infested gut piles are killing our eagles, why do we have more eagles now than ever?
I also doubt the whole 'safety issue' principle I heard bantered around behind disallowing centerfire rifles. Research has proven that while the theoretical range of a rifle bullet is longer than a shotgun slug (if you fire them at a high angle)the practical safety issue is in favor of the rifle. Slugs ricochet off of cold December ground and tree trunks much more readily, as anyone who has ever been on an Iowa public hunting parcel the first weekend of December can attest to. Just look to the states around us with similar topography, populations, etc that fail to have significant safety issues while allowing the use of these dangerous centerfire rifles...
I personally believe that allowing rifles along with disallowing 'party hunting' (meaning only YOU can fill YOUR tag)would be safer in the long run because it would discourage big parties in small woodlots slinging slugs at running deer.

From a practical standpoint, I also find it a bit ridiculous that I can't use a 44 Magnum rifle but can use a 44 Magnum handgun. Or that I can't use a 'rifle' but can use a 'shotgun' with a fully rifled barrel and sabot rounds shooting a rifle bullet.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I an constantly thankful I dont live in a state with such ridiculousness. God Bless you guys...

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JSH - I hate to tell you, but having grown up in South Dakota and hunting deer in small woodlots in eastern SD, we still slinged lead at running deer and into running deer with rifles. But party hunting is not kosher. I think it has more to do with tradition than safety.

Selmer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSH
KWG,

I have my doubts about the whole 'lead ingestion' issue. If all these lead-infested gut piles are killing our eagles, why do we have more eagles now than ever?
I also doubt the whole 'safety issue' principle I heard bantered around behind disallowing centerfire rifles. Research has proven that while the theoretical range of a rifle bullet is longer than a shotgun slug (if you fire them at a high angle)the practical safety issue is in favor of the rifle. Slugs ricochet off of cold December ground and tree trunks much more readily, as anyone who has ever been on an Iowa public hunting parcel the first weekend of December can attest to. Just look to the states around us with similar topography, populations, etc that fail to have significant safety issues while allowing the use of these dangerous centerfire rifles...
I personally believe that allowing rifles along with disallowing 'party hunting' (meaning only YOU can fill YOUR tag)would be safer in the long run because it would discourage big parties in small woodlots slinging slugs at running deer.

From a practical standpoint, I also find it a bit ridiculous that I can't use a 44 Magnum rifle but can use a 44 Magnum handgun. Or that I can't use a 'rifle' but can use a 'shotgun' with a fully rifled barrel and sabot rounds shooting a rifle bullet.

Hello JSH
I tend to agree with you on all of your points but the people who make the rules are stuck on their pre existing mind set and don't seem to want to use any critical thinking skills to re examine the issues.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can't help but wonder if the real motive behind refusing rifles, along with the timing of our season is trophy management. They don't want the big bucks being too easily accessible but they don't want to take away the general 'any deer' tag available to anyone over the counter. Setting buck quotas by zones (like we do with turkeys) and using some sort of draw system like most other states would allow management of a trophy population, spread out the pressure better and allow us to hunt deer with the dreaded 'High Powers'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.