Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunt hard, put in lots of time and effort. It seems like it's taken its toll and I feel in need of a rest.

I had a spot that needed visiting before I took a break. While the weather had turned warmer the wind was favorable for the area I wanted to hunt.
About 4 this afternoon I grabbed my bow, my other gear was already in the truck. Being in the midst of a drought I'm able to drive pretty much where I choose. I stopped the truck about a mile from the spot I wanted to hunt and slipped my daypack on.Taking a leisurely walk is always relaxing to me and by the time the hunting area was reached I was in the right frame of mind.
After I tied my bow onto my pull rope I climbed the tree and settled in. Well after sundown and approaching dark I heard something coming. From the sound of the steps through the ground litter I suspected it might be a pig. When it came into sight I saw that it was a fair sized male hog.
He messed around under an adjacent oak not giving me a shot and I was loosing light rapidly.
Just as last light was upon me he got broadside the turned away slightly, it was now or never. I pulled the Mohawk to a full 29" and released the arrow. Everything was right, I just love it when that happens! I had three 5" yellow feather on the CE 150 and I watched the ball of feathers spin all the way to the pig.
I knew I had a good hit as he took off. I carefully listened as he ran through the brush trying to make sure I had a good direction on him.. When I lost any sound of him I took out my compass and took a bearing on the last area I heard him in, it was a 160' heading.
After gathering my gear I got down and went over to where he was standing, I didn't find any blood. Since I thought I knew where he was I made a rookie mistake and instead of looking for the blood just walked out into the brush going on that 160' bearing and looked for the pig.. After circling for 30 minutes or so and getting nowhere I went back to the tree he was under when I shot him. I spent a bit of time there and finally picked up the trail.. From that point on it was fairly straight forward. However, it did take me a half hour or so to follow the trail. I'm guessing but he probably made 150-175 yards before giving up the ghost..
Why do I shoot the longbow -- because it works! Plus it's got a little magic in it, grin.
[Linked Image]

This one is about the same size as the others. Maybe you can judge the size by the length of the bow.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is really cool! My Toelke is due to arrive in next few weeks. Hope to accomplish something similar to this. Thanks for the writeup.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nice story and a great hunt, Butch. That's a big ole hog.
What pound pull is the longbow?

Terry
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sendero,
I really don't know. If you look at the other threads that I have posted I believe Pat is saying 48-52 at 28". He draws about 29". I don't shoot a bow and am unfamiliar with the terminology. Pat has been bow hunting for about 40+ years and has several bows. I really enjoy Pat's stories and pictures.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great story and pics, Butch!

Thanks for sharing it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That is a nice one. That bow has good ju ju. One thinkgI enjoy about shooting trad is that it is possible to watch your arrow's flight.

Great story thanks for sharing

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice hog, I know they are pests their, but I wish I could hunt them close to home. Great shot and better story! T.S.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.