-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Today was the first day I have ever been really really close to a truly world class buck.

Imagine a buck weighing easily over 250 lbs, at least 6 years old, bases the size of Pepsi cans, 11 typical points, many over 1', beams at least 30" long and a spread easily wider than the ear tips. An absolute beast.

I have been fortunate enough to take several deer between 160" and 180" and this buck made them all like school children at recess.

What a sight. How lucky am I?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like a real hoss! No arrow sling at em?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Pics man, pics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nope, he came in with a mature doe 80 yards down-wind from the start. I can't help but think the buck basically had me pegged. They made a complete loop around me coming within 50 yards at one point.
I have had two mature bucks run away as soon as I grunted this year. I am convinced these bucks are much wiser to the grunt these days.
Tonight I had a really nice 10 pointer at 60 yards. He popped into the end of the field to look for one more fling. With nothing hot, he grabbed a quick bite and split. He was quite possibly 170" gross. It amazes me how a big buck like this one could look so small when compared to a giant. It may be a long time until I pull the trigger on the next buck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can't believe it. I put up my old stand in the east fence closer to where the 170" was last night. Today he was basically just behind me to the south with a bedded doe. I got to watch him fend off other bucks for over an hour and grunt constantly. I really thought his girlfriend would coax him into the field about dark but no such luck. Winds will stay the same and I am going to beg the misses to put up with me bieng gone another night. There is a really nice trail coming out below this stand into a bean field. The trail leads east into a brushy creek bottom on my neighbors. If I could sit out every night I am convinced it is a matter of time before tagging here.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Good Luck!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Pretty sure he figured out real quick where I was because he was bedded right behind this stand when I walked in and got set up. He never left but never got any closer than 60 yards. The buck is on the backside of no less than 4 stands on 200 yards of fence. It's a funnel so it's popular. I think it is no coincidence he beds behind all the stands. I believe he does this because he knows when people are hunting him in this area. Hunters come in, he walks out. If you think I am crazy, my buddy saw the buck for the first time tonight and he came out of the same small area 3 out of 4 nights!

If I don't get the big one it's been a good year. I got my uncle's best friends wounded buck for him (150", 235 lbs) and one doe already. I set up the stand that helped my uncle connect on his buck this year. Plus I turned down a 140" mature 8 pointer, saw a 170" multiple times and saw the buck of my lifetime. Not a bad year.

A funny side note. My uncle's buddy called tonight and claimed to have seen my giant. We compared notes and figured out pretty quick he was talking about the 170". The one that looks small compared to the giant I saw. Dang, that ghost is going to haunt me!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I agree with you....whether you get a shot at the giant or not, you've had a great year. Congrats.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just seeing the buck of your dreams would make my season. The one that is small at 170" gross is probably bigger than the majority of hunters get close to in thier lifetimes. In my book you have had an incredible season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the same type of deer in Ohio over the weekend. Was driving in to our cabin and was almost there when I caught the movement of a giant coming down off a brushy hill side. I read your post before I left but didn't "get" it. Having seen my own giant I understand, he's so much bigger then anything I've ever seen it was awe inspiring.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
hope to know the feeling someday. just knowing something like that is out there...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I saw one like that in IA years ago and it's hard to explain to folks. They think I'm BSing when I describe him. He was way, way bigger than 160-170 class deer. Watched him cross a large corn field. Main frame 10 with baseball bat bases, wide, carried mass everywhere, ~14" tines, long beams, just unreal to say the least. We killed a 162 in the same field the day before that looked like a 1.5yo dink in comparison. I doubt I'll ever see a wild deer like that again, it's amazing how big they can get in some areas.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
HR, cool updates. I have to agree with you on these really big bucks. Its like hunting a whole different animal. I think you have to catch them one time out of place [many times first sit on that stand]or they have you, even then....

I had a big buck on camera walking a shrub line. The only spot to set up was a small cedar. I had to clip 2 suckers along the path he would take. Fast forward, nice cross wind and here he comes...no way he can see or smell me or my trail in. The buck stops short....staring at the path in front of him, doesn't like something, turns and leaves. I swear he noticed the 2 pencil sized suckers about 24" long I removed.

Those big bucks are so smart. I know guys say its no big deal to pee from your tree- and with most deer its not! I think anything out of place and the really big bucks notice.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B_Lance
How do you think they got to be so big definitely not by be stupid and non observant. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big deer are a lot of fun. Being able to see and watch them like you are doing is one of the best experiences of hunting. Hope you are able to get a good one out of the deal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.