-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What's the best flashlight for blood trailing?

Wac em and stack em
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
a good shot...if you hit them right they don't go far if you have to struggle to find blood leave it till morning rather than push it

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just IMO, the Primos Bloodhunter is about the smallest and easy to carry light that works. I have the Plus model with the white LED. I hunt in hardwoods, the leaf litter will swallow a thin blood trail in low light, this light helps pull out drops that I might have missed on the first pass.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have trailed many an animal at night.Cannot beat a Coleman lantern for following a blood trail.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I will check out the blood hunter, I want something small to throw in my pack. I am not interested in packing a coleman lantern around while hunting. The grass where I hunt is knee high and if blood actually hits the ground you wont find it at all. One drop of blood is usually spread between six or seven blades of grass, so Im looking for something that will make red really stand out, but is still packable.

Wac em and stack em
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am slightly green colorblind and the single green led on a streamlight headlamp with the adjustable brightness works awesome for me to see blood at night. IT makes it show up as a very dark spot that is totally different than any other on the ground.
If you just want light to see better try a Fenix TK12 for light. Way too much on high power but the mid range and low is great for looking and the high end will light up the night like a search light. If you haven't seen one at night you will be impressed.
123 batteries go three to 5 weeks for me with use all week at work and when I need it. It will burn up a set if you use high power straight for 2 hours.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've tried many different lights, even tracking lanterns, and the best sort of light I've found for blood trailing is a white light with high lumens. I really like my UK SL6 lights for the task, but they eat 6 Cs in about 4 hours. Then, someone pointed me to a light at Walmart called the Bubba light IIRC, it's a Coleman Max LED that runs on 6 AAs(Duracells included) for around $24. I bought one last year and couldn't be happier. This thing is awesome and the best thing is I haven't had to change the original batteries yet! I've trailed several deer with it as well as general use(keep it in my truck) and those included Duracells are still kicking.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-2...eather-Resistant-LED-Flashlight/13848697

Try one, hard to beat.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks for the info, my buddy has one like you mentioned reloader and I was impressed with it compared to my light. He was finding blood that I didnt see with my pelican light, when we compared lights on the same drops his light made it glow compared to mine!

Wac em and stack em
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lantern and a Fenix

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ribka
I have trailed many an animal at night.Cannot beat a Coleman lantern for following a blood trail.

+1000

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Coleman gas fired lantern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
Coleman gas fired lantern.

This!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've used maglights, coleman lanters, etc. but with all the ultra-bright long-lasting LEDs out now, it's pretty easy to find a great torch that will light up the night and run a long time on a few AA or AAA batteries. Plus, they'll usually only set you back $25-$50.....hard to beat that!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have to agree with the Coleman Max from Wal Mart, it will make the woods glow. I see they have a 500 lumen Coleman LED, I'd like to see how bright that is.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Costco sell three 200 Lumen flashlights for 19.00 (1 yr ago). Very, very bright for the money.

Streamlight 3c powered by AA'S, GREAT FLASHLIGHT!

R7M
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Wingnut53
Costco sell three 200 Lumen flashlights for 19.00 (1 yr ago). Very, very bright for the money.

I can't recommend these, I use a couple at work and they eat batteries like no other. Likely due to the low voltage indicator of all things causing parasitic draw. Work pays for the batteries so I'll continue to use them but If the cells were on my dime I would look elsewhere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I track game for a living. We have used countless products. The two "go to" lights that we all reach for first are the older streamlight stingers with the led conversions, the new stream light led. Or the lights made by. Wildlife technology in Texas.

These lights provide a couple hours of the brightest white light and have a rechargeable battery system that can be done In house or vehicle. You're not gonna find a better solution to illuminating a blood trail.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I guess the lantern works if lots of blood, for a non threatening animal when no chance of follow up shots.

However, when your going to have the threat of a charge the lantern is worthless, as is the use in thick bush where the blood on the ground is hidden by the brush.

It's also a huge problem with the loud hissing sound while its running which reduces the audible sound of brush moving in front if you, either from the animal running away, or to come for you!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.