Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6871964 09/14/12
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, this is not a pot thread! laugh But if it does derail, I hope it follows the pattern of the Sniper Rifle one... laugh

Last year, I got picked off a few times and I think it was a combination of not being high enough, the deer came much closer to the stand that I anticipated (less than 5yds), and I didn't have the best backdrop. SO...

How high in a tree do you:
a. like to be
and/or
b. hang most of your stands?

I realize these two heights can be different depending on the trees your working with. Me, I'm kind of a chicken, and am usually about 14-16' off the ground.

I think this is in part to the success my dad and I had with a particular stand that couldn't have been more than 12' to the platform. However, that stand was in a cedar which provided an ample background.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think you hit the important point already, the height is usually dictated by the cover and the shooting lanes. One stand I use a bunch is hung at 25-30 feet on sloping terrain, any lower and the lanes are blocked by branches that aren't practical to cut away. I've had had deer under a 15-20 foot stand milling around and deer bust me at 40 yards with branches and leaves covering my outline. My experience in my area has been to be a bit higher and be sure I had something to breakup the outline. Sounds like you have right idea.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have never set one heighter then 20ft. I would say the majority of mine are 15ft to 17ft.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of guys think they are higher then they really are.

I try to find trees that have good background cover so that the stand and hunter blend into the background. Not always possiable but whenever it is you should always take full advantage of it.

Another thing to consider is if you are a fidgeter you may want to hang a blind around your stand. It will conceal a lot of little movement you make sitting there.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I always try to pick a big tree with enough diameter so I look like part of the tree trunk. I also try to pick a pine or other evergreen so it keeps its needles/foliage. Or a good size oak, they hold their leaves into spring until the new ones bud. As far as height; I stick around 12-16. Much higher and the close shots get tough with the angle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think if you can hide yourself from and old doe near her bedroom when she is not getting pushed you have your ultimate challenge. I like to be 20' feet in the air. At least 15 yards off the trail. And I like to have a tree with more girth than me.
A buck in the rut however is much less likely to notice you (unless he is following an old doe on her home turf that is). In a travel corridor hunting bucks I am more likely to use my climber. I still climb up 20' feet or more but I am seldom picked off. I will say though that if you skyline yourself from the direction the deer may come you are going to get busted. Fast.
I have been using a ghillie suit the last two years and I do believe this helps.
Call me crazy but it seems like it's super important to camoflauge your face. Old does seem to pick out faces easily. And once they see your eyes move, it's GAME OVER!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Queen Bee is the test. If she goes under with out figuring it out you are high enough. Last one I tricked got it as she made her way off to the far side. Not pretty but it worked. What they say about the high angle shots is true. Aim small.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good points above.

Terrain matters also. For example; If you are in a valley you will get thermals that wreck the spot early and late. Its also trouble when an animal comes from a spot and is looking right at you. I've had that happen at the edge of a steep pond- buck coming upslope looking directly at me- didntb plan that one well.

Many things to consider- which is why its so cool to place your own stands. I definitely prefer higher most of the time. Being out of the animals peripheral vision helps a lot.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I try to go about 15 feet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never have been higher than 12 feet ever in a bowstand. Almost all of ours were 8-10 feet. Very very rarely ever picked off unless we did something dumb. Shot more than a few deer that way.

And now I hunt off the ground almost all the time. But even last fall I was up about 9 feet or so in a tree, never had an issue with being spotted, IE never was.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
T
15-20 Ft gotta get up in the branches for cover.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Depends on pressure and cover and wind direction. Have hung over 25 ft in open pressured woods for wt deer. As low as 12 feet for elk.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.