Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well after not bow hunting for many, many years I finally decided to jump back in. I hunted with a bow when I was in high school in the midwest but since being out in NM the last time I hunted was with a bow was in the mid 80's. Old bear recurve at that time. Finally decided to get back into it and picked up a 2010 PSE Omen with 2012 limbs and cams. Getting a new string on it, got a Ripcord rest and it has a SpotHog site on it. Probably much more bow than I should be trying but am anxious to get to use it. Starting out with some Bloodline 330's for arrows. This thing also has a detachable quiver but I don't know the brand. The guy who had this before me said he clocked it with a hunting arrow and a 125 grain broadhead at 340 fps so it isn't piddling around getting there.

Figure to start out with turkey in the spring here and apply for deer in the fall. Won't try elk this year as I'm too stuck with my rifles and muzzleloaders for those critters. Should prove interesting!

Any suggestions? One question as well, what is so great about a Scott release? I picked up a couple of Patriot releases and then had a buddy tell me ..oh no....gotta get a Scott.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome back. Scotts are nice releases, I have been shooting a scott for many years. Definately not the "must have" but they are nice. I highly doubt you are getting 340fps out of your setup though. You might want to chrony it yourself if you are wanting to shoot over 300fps.

T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Yeah, I don't know yet what it is getting but this guy said he chronographed it this summer before his deer hunt so who really knows. Doesn't matter, it is what it is and I'll take a look at it when I get the new string and rest on it and it tuned up. This one does have new 80 lb limbs on it so it probably is pretty quick. I'll start out with it around 65lbs or so just so I can get used to it.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm with Hoz, that's a lot of speed with a 125 grain head, unless the arrows were too light for the bow, and the reason for new limbs.

I shot Scott's for two-three years then switched. They are safe, reliable, and take hard use well. I switched because Scott's are an open-jaw release, you have to attach to the D loop and hold tension to keep the release closed. I found I was fumbling too much to hook up while getting ready to draw.

I've been shooting the Trufire Edge in the field for about two years now, still shoot the Scott's on the range and 3D. Trufire Edge is spring loaded closed, works better for me, I can watch game and not my D loop. JMO...

T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Yeah, seemed pretty fast to me as well but it's ibo is 366 so true, if the arrow is shorter it might get close. I know he was shooting Bloodline arrows, the 400 and at about 29". He was supposed to be at 70 lbs and at that weight I would think that was a very light arrow. Oh well, it really doesn't matter, I will get what I get and learn to shoot it.

Ah, okay, that doesn't sound like a good setup unless you are in a stand of some sort and out here I probably won't be. Appreciate the info.

-Mark Twain

-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.