Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ol` Joe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There has often been comment on the correct head diameter of 6.5 Swede brass and its variation in European and USA ammo. I decided to check this out today, as I have never felt there was as much difference as others have reported. Most of my brass, no matter the make has fit a std 30-06 sized (0.473") shellhold with very few scattered pieces needing one designed for the cartridge (0.480"). I measured and photo`ed brass from Winchester, Norma, Federal and PMC (Korean manufacture I believe?) that I have on hand and am posting the result.
I think more then a few Swede shooters may be suprised.....

Norma
[Linked Image]

Federal
[Linked Image]

PMC
[Linked Image]

Winchester
[Linked Image]

Here is a Remington 7-08 to compare.
[Linked Image]

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see you had a little time on your hands Ol` Joe. Nice Micrometer though. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have found that only Remington brass ejects consistently out of my push feed model 70 in 6.5 x 55.. the rifle was formerly a 30/06...

Win's and PMC only eject about 60% of the time.. so I only use Rem in that rifle...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thread, seein's believin. When I got my MKII Ruger in 6.5x55 I bought Lapua brass because I had read somewhere about the different head specs for American made brass being a possible problem. If I had seen this first it would have probably saved me some money but I've got to say the Lapua's good brass. Consistent dimensions and long lasting with uniform primer pockets and flash holes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice post!

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice Micrometer

+1

You probably can't get that one at Harbor Freight for $19.95. laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW. I have had lots of both Winchester and Remington 6.5x55 brass that would not uniformly fit the nominally indicated RCBS #2 shell holder for the cartridge. Some brass fit the way it should, some rather loosely and some was too small to be held by the shell holder, and a RCBS #3 was then needed. The first and only case I have ever stuck in a die was a Winchester 6.5x55 that was too small for the holder. The rim tore loose when I operated the ram to remove the case from the die. I had made the obviously mistaken assumption that since it was 6.5 brass a 6.5 shell holder was indicated. That brass functioned fine through both push feed and CRF actions. I now check all brands of brass for this when I need to get a new batch. Winchester remains the worst in this regard in what I have used. However, judging from your photo, Winchester may have gotten their act together. Winchester is more readily available locally.

I have never had that problem with the Norma, PMC, S&B, or the Privi (Century Arms) brass with the Cyrillic head stamp NNY.

Last edited by SteveC99; 01/06/09.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Ol` Joe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SteveC99
FWIW. I have had lots of both Winchester and Remington 6.5x55 brass that would not uniformly fit the nominally indicated RCBS #2 shell holder for the cartridge. Some brass fit the way it should, some rather loosely and some was too small to be held by the shell holder, and a RCBS #3 was then needed.

SteveC99 I can`t comment on how consistant various lots of brass are. Winchester and Remington may well have varied in the past and might still. This is a small sample of one lot of 4 brands, and nothing more. I personally have never seen the difference some report, but the fact they report it must mean something is happening.
I have measured a case or two in the past on whim, and as I recall never have seen a Swede casehead measure under .470/+". This is the 1st time however I have compared all the different brands I have laying around at once. If I ever tear a rim off and stick a case due to rim inconsistancy I will be a hot little boy though.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I'm 350 miles from my notes and gear, so I'm going from memory (maybe not a good idea) here. The 0.467 on your micrometer with the Remington 7-08 brass is just about where I seem to remember the problem with the case not holding properly in the RCBS #2 starting to happen. There is a kind of fine line there and this brass I had was on both sides of it. Also, every manufacturer has an occasional quality control issue, so I had written it off to that, but I have avoided Winchester and Remington 6.5x55 since then. If the whole lot would have fit the RCBS #3, fine, that could be dealt with, but having a whole lot with that much variation was just too big a PITA. Other than that the brass seemed fine.

Last edited by SteveC99; 01/07/09.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
RCBS recommends using the same shell holder for the 6.5 x 55 as it does for the 30/30... because of the larger head diameter than the .473 based cartridges...

Remington's can use the same shell holder as an '06 tho...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.