Print Thread
Hop To
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey guys. I'm new to reloading and already had my first mishap.

While waiting on my friend who does a lot of reloading to come over and help get me started, I thought I could at least de-primer and resize some brass to get it ready. I had bought a large lot of 1x fired 300wm brass here on the fire.

I put the resizing die into the press and adjusted it to where it just touched the shellholder with the handle fully down, got out the case lube, and started resizing. All went well, did quite a few, then went to bed. Went back out today to do a few more and the very first case would not go in. Removed the die and checked inside and saw the primer remover(not sure of the technical term) was bent to the side. Tried to bend it back straight and it broke off.
[Linked Image]

What did I do wrong and how do I make sure this doesn't happen again? Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.

Also, can I order just this broken part or do I have to buy a new die?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure what happened to cause that. I personally have not had anything like that happen (at least not till next time I reload LOL). The part that is broke is the decaping rod. If it is RCBS then I would call them up. They have great customer service and they will probably send you a new one free of charge. If you cant wait and need to load shells right away they are available at just about any sporting goods that handles reloading supplies.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far below the bottom of the die did the decapping pin extend? Any of the cases have off-center flash holes?

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
quarter inch. maybe a little more. about the same length as the rest of my dies and I didn't have any problems with any of them.

I resized some 257 wby, 35 whelen and 243 win before I did these. All with no problems.

A few of the pieces of 300wm brass had been de-primed when I got them. I ran them through the resizing die anyway just to make sure all my brass got the same treatment. could that have caused the problem?

I didn't notice any off center holes but I didn't check that closely.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If the case isn't sitting fully into the shellholder, if the case is tipped a bit when in the shell holder, if the flash hole is bit off center, if there is "breakout" when the flash hole was punched during manufacturing, if the spindle nut isn't tightened down ( I leave mine loose for concentricity reasons, so I have to be aware...), if the spindle or decapping pin isn't straight.

When sizing--or seating--you will learn to "feel" if things aren't going right.

Having said that, I recently bent the spindle on a Forster die when not paying attention and the decapping pin missed the flash hole. Worse yet, I almost always first decap my brass with a decapping die before sizing...but got lazy this time.

Presses with less leverage make it easier to tell if something is going wrong than the high leverage presses. My RCBS Jr presses have a better "feel" than my Rock Chuckers or my Lee Classic.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You didn't mention tumbling the brass. If some media was left in the bottom of the case this could happen.

_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
The kids were messing with your stuff, broke it and didn't tell you. They were hoping you would think you did it somehow.... wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The way I adjust my decapping die is to run a case into the die with the decapping pin well up (not touching the primer). Once the case is fully in the die, I thread the stem down until I feel it touch the primer, the I retact the ram and thread the stem down another 1/4-1/2 turn and lock it. Then I cycle the ram and if the primer pops out, I call it happy. If it doesn't, I make another 1/4-1/2 turn, and so forth until the primer is reliably popped out.
When your resizing ball was touching the shell holder, this meant that when you cycled the press with a case in place, the resizing ball was having pressure put on it on every cycle.

Aim for the exit hole.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Long ago I removed the primer punching pins from all of my dies , and went to a universal decapping die (Lyman) . I like to have my neck expander higher up in the die where it is more rigid and less apt to bend stems and break pins !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Properly adjusted, the resizing ball shouldn't come in contact with the case. No way you could be bending stems and breaking pins.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would say your decapping pin depth wasn't properly set. depending on the press you're using if you have it set too deep it can hit against the bottom of the charging rod on your press. I have done this using rcbs dies with a lee press. set your decapper to where it contacts the primer just enough to knock it out.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
First contact the company that made the die. They will likely send you a new one at no cost.

Second, if the decapping pin gets bent, screw the sizing button off the stem and replace the pin.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.