Print Thread
Hop To
A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hey guys, just interested in everyone's opinion on new brass prep for a hunting rig - no neck turning. Been covered a zillion times I guess but what the hell.
I've been just chamfering the case mouth and then running an expander ball through the necks. Then load up.
Haven't had too much drama with runout but would using a carbide expander mandrel (.002 under caliber diameter) in a floating die - instead of the expander ball - be more likely to give me a straight as possible neck with consistant bullet tension round to round?
I'm sure I read about that method somewhere but can't find it again.
Edit to ad that in my case I'm talking .260 and 30.06 Lapua brass.

Last edited by aus; 12/24/13.
GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What I do: (I mostly use RP brass)

Run all brass over and expander ball to round them out.
Sort for case neck thickness. I generally perge all above .001 variance.
Uniform promer pockets.
Chamfer

What I might do:

Initial trim before loading.
Debur flash holes.

Notes:

The above assumes I use cartridge specific brass. If I use .308 brass to make 7-08 rounds, there are other steps to set the headspace.

I load and go with new brass to basically fireform to my chamber. After that, the expnader button goes away and I minimally size from there with dies I have set up and tested to minimize runout. I also trim at this point.

I work in small batches of 50 generally, so I don't view uniforming primer pockets and removing burs as laborious. It's simply a once and done deal.

Last edited by CLB; 12/24/13.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Run them through a Lee Collet Neck sizing die, chamfer neck inside and out then load up. I'll spot check flash hole on batch to see if that needs done.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I 'match' prep all my brass. After sorting neck thickness to within .0015", start prep.

On new brass, uniform primer pockets and round neck.

Fire form.

Trim brass to uniform lengths and chamfer necks. Deburr flash holes. Weight sort to �3%. Size.

Load and go shootin'.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Run over expander, chamfer inside, primer, powder, bullet, shoot

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see several people mentioning chamfering without trimming. Am I getting this correct? I have never chamfered unless I trimmed. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I very lightly chamfer new brass just to knock the edge off, I use the VLD tool.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aus

Haven't had too much drama with runout but would using a carbide expander mandrel (.002 under caliber diameter) in a floating die - instead of the expander ball - be more likely to give me a straight as possible neck with consistant bullet tension round to round?
I'm sure I read about that method somewhere but can't find it again.

Yes, IME, using a carbide expander mandrel works much better than the factory supplied expander ball in a standard FL sizing die. I pulled the expander balls and stems out of my dies a long time ago and leave them in the box. The FL dies are essentially body dies now and I use a universal decapper to pop the primers out.
I also experimented quite a bit with floating the supplied expander ball and stem and found it still created more runout than using a carbide expander mandrel.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't trim until the brass is 1X. Then I trim to the shortest length. Assuming it's in specs to begin with. Which I've never bought any brass new that wasn't.

Aim for the exit hole.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by milespatton
I see several people mentioning chamfering without trimming. Am I getting this correct? I have never chamfered unless I trimmed. miles

Based on my own experience, a good chamfer helps with concentricity while the bullet is being seated. Especially if using flat based bullets.

Last edited by CLB; 12/24/13.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton

I usually do it this way also.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on Lapua brass I just load and go if the necks appear to be round. No prep required.

On Winchester I resize, trim and clean up the flash holes. HAd a recent bag of .280 Winchester that was so far out of spec it would not chamber...taught me a lesson. LOL

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

This for 30plus years.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the OP's question he states he is using Lapua brass. He shouldn't have to do anything but maybe round up the neck if necessary. All other prep work is done.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Do you use Lapua brass?

Always prudent to measure for case neck thickness. You might be surprised. Nothing is perfect, not even Lapua brass.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rdinak
on Lapua brass I just load and go if the necks appear to be round. No prep required.

On Winchester I resize, trim and clean up the flash holes. HAd a recent bag of .280 Winchester that was so far out of spec it would not chamber...taught me a lesson. LOL

Lapua 260 brass I've used is usually good to go, just load and shoot. I have a 6x47L that obviously I have to resize, but don't do any other prep to. Most all my other cartridges I use Winchester. I straighten out any neck dings, chamfer, and clean flash holes, load and shoot. About the only time I use any other brass is 223 and 30-06 where I have multiple rifles, or for a specific cartridge where I don't want to use Winchester brass. I do everything to the Remington brass for my 280.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Cheers BlackDog1, I'll order up the bits then.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

about what I do except I deburr the outside as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit

Me too.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by pullit

Me too.

Me three.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.