Print Thread
Hop To
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
After using a Hornady 270WSM die for the first time, the neck expander/de-priming rod keeps coming out of the die along with the shell. I have tried to keep tightening it up but it keeps pulling through the die. Anybody ever tried to rough up the rod with sanding paper to prevent this?

-Piss into the wind.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have those dies, with no problems in a couple hundred reloads, but I spray lube the inside of the necks. If lubing doesn't do it, call Hornady.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sent you a pm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a cresent wrench to the two lock nuts on mine after useing gun scrubber to degrease the stem, and it is there for good now, I think. It hasn`t moved in a few years now anyway. Hornady now makes a threaded stem becase of this problem that will fix it from what I`ve heard. I`d call and see what they say about one. You very likely could do as you asked and rough up the stem Too. I don`t see why it wouldn`t work as well.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had the exact same problem with a set of Hornaday dies for my 338 WM. I tried roughing up the stem, did not work. Replaced the expander ball with smaller one Hornaday sent me, did not work. Took cresent wrenchs to the lock nuts, still would not work. Used graphite on the inside of the neck as well as lube on the outside, still had problems.

When it started stretching my brass too much, I took the entire inside out of the die and use it to resize the outside of the brass, then run it through a neck sizer to get the neck resized. Much quicker and no problems with expander balls and rods coming out. No ill effects on brass that I can tell.

Hornaday was no real help, thought it was something I was doing wrong. Good luck.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got about 7 sets of Hornady dies and haven't had a problem with the slipping thing but have read posts like this. I use a crescent wrench and a deep well socket. I even use mine to neck up other calibers and neck down some as well. BTW....some of my hornady dies seem to make almost "O" runnout after a bit of fiddling and getting the stem centered. I love the elipitcal expander that hornady uses and wish my other dies had something so smooth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's important, especially with the older smooth-stemmed dies, to use the proper tools to secure the stem. Failure to do that has always been related to any problems I've had with them. Make sure the threads on the collet are not dry - they will tighten more easily and securely with some lube- but the stem can (should) be dry.

I imagine Hornady may also replace the old version parts with newer ones if you give them a call.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.