Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a RCBS Chargemaster. It isn't super fast. When I am "in the zone," I can throw, trickle, and weigh about as fast. However, the Chargemaster is way easier, and since I am "out of the zone" more than I am "in the zone," nowadays, the Chargemaster will be faster.

I loaded up the dispenser with H4350 and set the charge at 60 grains. I dispensed 10 charges. They weighed between 60.2 and 60.4 grains on my RCBS 10-10. If I were still shooting 1K BR this wouldn't do, but in a hunting rifle, it's more than fine.

I think the Chargemaster is going to work out for me.............

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
When set at 60gns a half gn is not important if your loads are not at the very top, however be careful and check your weights as usual.In my .270 1/2 a gn is about 25fps when shooting a 130gn at 2900 fps..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really like my Cargemaster especially when working up loads. I can change the charge and be back to dispensing in seconds. Check out thr 6BR website for an article on customizing the settings. Awesome info.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The .2 to .4 grain overage is only an issue if I were copying a load I had already found on my RCBS 10-10. However, I changed most of my rifles early this year and I haven't had time to find loads for any of them. Since everything will be new and on the Chargemaster and the Chargemaster is as consistent as it is, all will be good.

BTW, in the cases I load for, I rarely find that a 1/2 grain has any effect at all. Then again, I don't make hot loads, and hot loads are where a 1/2 grain can put a load into a high pressure scenario.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Verminator2
I really like my Cargemaster especially when working up loads. I can change the charge and be back to dispensing in seconds. Check out thr 6BR website for an article on customizing the settings. Awesome info.

Yeah, I've been reading that artcle for the last three years, which is how long it's taken me to get a Chargemaster. I do agree, it is an excellent writeup on the electronic powder dispenser systems............

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blaine,

How do you know that your 10-10 is correct and your Chargemaster is incorrect?

BT

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaine or Verminator2,
I was trying to find the article on changing the chargemaster settings on 6mmbr and wasn't sure if I found the right one or not. Do you have a link?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm sure Blaine has a set of check weights. Any time I set up a scale I use my weights to verify calibration.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Also, the design of a balance beam scale lends itself to more accuracy than an eletronic scale.

Regardless, I don't really care about the accuracy of the scale, I care about it's repeatability.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blaine, how many of a given cartridge do you usually load at a sitting? I seldom do more than six and usually it is only three. It seems like the filling and emptying would be a pain in my case. That's the same reason that I have a trickler and a powder measure sitting on the shelf feeling neglected. I've got my old four-piece Russell Stover candy box and my set of Lee dippers to get close and then adjust in my 5-0-5 Ohaus. (The light of the fire dancing off the walls of my cave has proven adequate for this. grin) Glad that your acquistion is working out well for you. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaine: I love[ well like a lot anyway] my RCBS Chargemaster. About every 10 rounds, I'll check them on my 10-10 also. If I'm loading more than 20 rounds, that baby is on the bench and beeping. Tom

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would shoot bench rest with that kind of difference in powder charge since powder charge is the least important part of loading for accuracy...a few tenths of a grain either way never makes any difference. Sounds like your chargemaster is right up to snuff...I know a lot of benchresters that use a dip for measureing powder. smile

I have several powder measures and I seldom weigh a charge anymore, maybe ever 20th round..but I use a case full of powder that won't double charge and a slow burning powder for the most part.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
I would shoot bench rest with that kind of difference in powder charge since powder charge is the least important part of loading for accuracy...a few tenths of a grain either way never makes any difference. Sounds like your chargemaster is right up to snuff...I know a lot of benchresters that use a dip for measureing powder. smile

I have several powder measures and I seldom weigh a charge anymore, maybe ever 20th round..but I use a case full of powder that won't double charge and a slow burning powder for the most part.

In little BR a few tenths may not matter, but it in 1K BR it sure does. Rerardless, 1K BR is about the only thing I wouldn't use the Chargemaster for.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I usually load 16-19 for load development sessions, and then 30-50 once I settle on the load. It is during load development where the Chargemaster will be the biggest advantage for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.